Hello There, Guest! Register

Boot/Partition Management Tools
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-23-2008, 02:37 AM

Lol it can load a broken 4-bit colour version of Windows now.  Doesn't really let me do anything, but it's sort of amusing.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Hey, you are making progress.
Now start loading drivers.
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Drivers?  No I was serious that it is broken, I can't even look through a directory for long without it locking up and resetting, it comes up with .dll errors on boot and it loads me into some weird temporary profile thing.  It's still functionally useless, just doesn't BSOD on load now.  I was hoping it would at least let me move some files around the drives, but even that doesn't seem to work so much.

All I really want to do now is get some amount of files off ONE of my drives, so I can format that one and install to it.  It's not like I can even play most games now because my ping is constantly double what it should be.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM by Wedge.)
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-23-2008, 03:55 PM

(12-23-2008, 09:08 AM)Wedge link Wrote: Drivers?  No I was serious that it is broken, I can't even look through a directory for long without it locking up and resetting, it comes up with .dll errors on boot and it loads me into some weird temporary profile thing.  It's still functionally useless, just doesn't BSOD on load now.  I was hoping it would at least let me move some files around the drives, but even that doesn't seem to work so much.

All I really want to do now is get some amount of files off ONE of my drives, so I can format that one and install to it.  It's not like I can even play most games now because my ping is constantly double what it should be.

If you can get into some version of Windows you should be able to move files around

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-23-2008, 08:15 PM

I seriously want to punch this thread out of existence. I gave you a solution like 10 replies ago, if you're trying to get stuff moved around;

HOOK THEM UP AS SECONDARIES TO ANOTHER COMPUTER, ORGANIZE, THEN FORMAT

You're clearly typing from SOMETHING, pop the bitch open, plug them up, copy your shit from one drive to the other, delete what you can download again easily if you need space, and format through Windows drive manager. If you're typing from a laptop or something similar that you can't plug drives into, then go to the store and pick up a SATA or IDE hard drive enclosure, based on what your drive is. You can then plug it up to any computer as an external. Put them back in the old computer, install Windows, christ you're done and fuck all with this recovery console crap.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2008, 08:17 PM by Blues.)
Vandamguy

12-23-2008, 08:33 PM

its a craptop , and wedge is too cheap to get an enclosure for a single use purpose

-1 for assholeness, blues.
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-23-2008, 11:12 PM

(12-23-2008, 08:33 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: its a craptop , and wedge is too cheap to get an enclosure for a single use purpose

Oh god, not -1. Also, who said it had to be a single use, considering he's getting a new comp eventually, he can just use it permanently.

-OR-

He can go buy one, use it, then return it and get a refund. Lol loopholes.

-OR-

He can plug it into another computer. Any computer. Anywhere. Seriously, just any computer. Parents'. Friends'. School's. Whatever. The only thing that rages me harder than people who don't know basic shit about a computer LOL HOW DO I RIGHT CLICKED are people who severely overthink simple, simple problems.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-23-2008, 11:29 PM

If I could plug it into another computer I would have, however there is literally no room in my boyfriend's computer because it's a tiny case with a huge video card.  However I forgot one of my HDD's is IDE, so I'm going to look if there is room to put THAT one in his computer and move some things off it.  If this were as simple as you imagine it to be, I'd have taken care of it, but you don't know shit about the crappy setup of my computers, so shut the fuck up.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

12-23-2008, 11:32 PM

(12-23-2008, 11:12 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=2032.msg57849#msg57849 date=1230082417]
its a craptop , and wedge is too cheap to get an enclosure for a single use purpose

Oh god, not -1. Also, who said it had to be a single use, considering he's getting a new comp eventually, he can just use it permanently.

-OR-

He can go buy one, use it, then return it and get a refund. Lol loopholes.

-OR-

He can plug it into another computer. Any computer. Anywhere. Seriously, just any computer. Parents'. Friends'. School's. Whatever. The only thing that rages me harder than people who don't know basic shit about a computer LOL HOW DO I RIGHT CLICKED are people who severely overthink simple, simple problems.
[/quote]

maybe you do know more about pcs than some people, but i can run like nine times faster than you, stop being an asshole.

Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 12:54 AM

(12-23-2008, 11:29 PM)Wedge link Wrote: If I could plug it into another computer I would have, however there is literally no room in my boyfriend's computer because it's a tiny case with a huge video card.  However I forgot one of my HDD's is IDE, so I'm going to look if there is room to put THAT one in his computer and move some things off it.  If this were as simple as you imagine it to be, I'd have taken care of it, but you don't know shit about the crappy setup of my computers, so shut the fuck up.
So don't actually put it in the damn computer, set it on a fucking book and plug the cables in. Again, you people are overthinking, it IS as simple as I imagine it to be. If you can take the side off the computer, you can do what I'm suggesting and save yourself hours of frustration that end with you no further than you started.

And to Dave, it's nothing to do with knowing more, my point is everyone in this thread is making things WAY more complicated and annoying than they need to be. I was referencing retards who can barely turn their computer on when I said they rage me, not people with mediocre computer knowledge.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

12-24-2008, 01:51 AM

(12-24-2008, 12:54 AM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=2032.msg57872#msg57872 date=1230092949]
If I could plug it into another computer I would have, however there is literally no room in my boyfriend's computer because it's a tiny case with a huge video card.  However I forgot one of my HDD's is IDE, so I'm going to look if there is room to put THAT one in his computer and move some things off it.  If this were as simple as you imagine it to be, I'd have taken care of it, but you don't know shit about the crappy setup of my computers, so shut the fuck up.
So don't actually put it in the damn computer, set it on a fucking book and plug the cables in. Again, you people are overthinking, it IS as simple as I imagine it to be. If you can take the side off the computer, you can do what I'm suggesting and save yourself hours of frustration that end with you no further than you started.

And to Dave, it's nothing to do with knowing more, my point is everyone in this thread is making things WAY more complicated and annoying than they need to be. I was referencing retards who can barely turn their computer on when I said they rage me, not people with mediocre computer knowledge.
[/quote]

Talk about overthinking it...

Use a livecd (ubuntu install cd will do fine) which has ntfs-3g support. Won't use your HD's as primary drives and even if you don't know how to use linux, the filemanager isn't hard to use. If this doesn't work at least you'll know the HD's (or the controller) are borked and it's going to take some more effort to get the data off. Once you have the data off try to repartition it and hope SMART will remap the bad blocks you had going.

Does your drive make any weird sounds like maybe a clicking noise btw?

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-24-2008, 02:06 AM

(12-24-2008, 01:51 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=2032.msg57889#msg57889 date=1230098050]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=2032.msg57872#msg57872 date=1230092949]

[/quote]

Use a livecd (ubuntu install cd will do fine) which has ntfs-3g support. Won't use your HD's as primary drives and even if you don't know how to use linux, the filemanager isn't hard to use. If this doesn't work at least you'll know the HD's (or the controller) are borked and it's going to take some more effort to get the data off. Once you have the data off try to repartition it and hope SMART will remap the bad blocks you had going.

[/quote]

I tried using knoppix and it missed one drive and couldn't move anything around.  Dunno if an Ubuntu thing would work better.  It seems the data that was on one of the drives is corrupted and gone now anyways though (it was a networked drive for my boyfriend to store media on, so no big deal), so I'm just installing on that.  If Ubuntu works better though, I may want to try using it to recover my files off the other drives.  I don't even trust plugging them in right now, because I know it will wreak all hell with me trying to boot anything.

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

12-24-2008, 02:50 AM

(12-24-2008, 02:06 AM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=ainmosni link=topic=2032.msg57902#msg57902 date=1230101506]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=2032.msg57889#msg57889 date=1230098050]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=2032.msg57872#msg57872 date=1230092949]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I tried using knoppix and it missed one drive and couldn't move anything around.  Dunno if an Ubuntu thing would work better.  It seems the data that was on one of the drives is corrupted and gone now anyways though (it was a networked drive for my boyfriend to store media on, so no big deal), so I'm just installing on that.  If Ubuntu works better though, I may want to try using it to recover my files off the other drives.  I don't even trust plugging them in right now, because I know it will wreak all hell with me trying to boot anything.
[/quote]

It really depends... The last release of knoppix is actually quite old compared to the last release of ubuntu... the amount of change that happens in the linux kernel in even a few months is huge so there is a big chance it'll work a lot better with ubuntu 8.10.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.