Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - [SiN] Merc - 04-09-2012

(04-09-2012, 12:14 AM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=947.msg242679#msg242679 date=1333943785]
I liked hunger games better when it was called Battle Royal.

On another note, saw Wrath of the Titans. I liked it pretty well.

You misspelled Condemned

[/quote]

I liek u.  Smile

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 04-09-2012

Quote: Merc link=topic=947.msg242679#msg242679 date=1333943785]

I really, really hate this comparison because literally the only similarities they both have is that it's a bunch of people fighting to the death.

Re: The Movie Thread - Vongore - 04-10-2012

(04-09-2012, 10:50 AM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=947.msg242679#msg242679 date=1333943785]

I really, really hate this comparison because literally the only similarities they both have is that it's a bunch of people fighting to the death.
[/quote]

Hunger Games ripping off Gladiator

Re: The Movie Thread - HeK - 04-10-2012

(04-09-2012, 10:50 AM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=947.msg242679#msg242679 date=1333943785]

[/quote]

Quote:In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch.

VS:

Quote:In the future, a group of ninth-grade students from a Japanese high school have been forced by legislation to compete in a Battle Royale. The students are each given a bag with a randomly selected weapon and a few rations of food and water and sent off to kill each other in a no-holds-barred game to the death, which means that the students have three days to kill each other until one survives--or they all die.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 04-10-2012

(04-10-2012, 11:03 AM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=947.msg242699#msg242699 date=1333986613]
[quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=947.msg242679#msg242679 date=1333943785]

[/quote]

Quote:In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch.

VS:

Quote:In the future, a group of ninth-grade students from a Japanese high school have been forced by legislation to compete in a Battle Royale. The students are each given a bag with a randomly selected weapon and a few rations of food and water and sent off to kill each other in a no-holds-barred game to the death, which means that the students have three days to kill each other until one survives--or they all die.
[/quote]Pretty sure in Battle Royale it ends up being it was a psychological experiment or something like that, whereas in The Hunger Games its literally their version of reality shows. (Complete with showmances)

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 04-11-2012

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/safetynotguaranteed/

Re: The Movie Thread - [SiN] Merc - 04-12-2012

(04-11-2012, 08:37 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/safetynotguaranteed/

I'm just disappointed that the trailer didn't have Push It To The Limit (Scarface) - Paul Engemann

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 04-13-2012

Cabin in the Woods was crazy. Felt like Goddard and Whedon got together one day and just started talking about how much horror movies suck today, and based a movie around it. Good stuff though, check it out.

Re: The Movie Thread - Mission Difficult - 04-13-2012

Just saw The Raid: Redemption. Fight scenes were slick and brutal. Very well done. Plot is optional, it knows its an action movie. It's in Indonesian but is subtitled. One of the main characters was a little too white to be Indo, but to be fair they were colonized by the dutch so it stands to reason he could be part dutch. I never saw any Indos that white when I lived there but whatever. So yeah, if you want to see numerous people getting fucked up in quick succession, check it out. Should be out in most major cities by now.

Re: The Movie Thread - at0m - 04-13-2012

Hunger Games was a decent film adaptation of the book. Did not like shakey-cam for the whole first part of it, though.

Re: The Movie Thread - Hobospartan - 04-14-2012

(04-13-2012, 04:55 PM)at0m link Wrote: Hunger Games was a decent film adaptation of the book. Did not like shakey-cam for the whole first part of it, though.

Pretty much my thoughts on it too.  I don't mind shakey cam in a fight scene, but just random shots of people walking?  It was unnecessary.  I absolutely loved the whacky styles of the Capitol, though, it blows my mind that Elizabeth Banks played Trinket.  I wouldn't have known it was her if it wasn't for IMDB.

Re: The Movie Thread - Maxon - 04-20-2012

Just rewatched Kung Fu Hustle.  Forgot how ridiculously fun that movie was.  Anything else out there that's as good and maybe abit similar with it's humor and action? I already watched Shaolin Soccer which was alright, but Kung Fu Hustle was Chow's best.

*EDIT*
Also, Legend of the Drunken Master.  Holy crap, another gem I had forgotten.  The choreography is amazing. Probably one of my favorite Jackie Chan flicks.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 04-20-2012

(04-20-2012, 12:23 AM)Maxon link Wrote: Just rewatched Kung Fu Hustle.  Forgot how ridiculously fun that movie was.  Anything else out there that's as good and maybe abit similar with it's humor and action?
The only film that comes to mind is Oldboy, and that's not exactly what I'd call a "fun" movie.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 04-20-2012

(04-20-2012, 12:23 AM)Maxon link Wrote: Just rewatched Kung Fu Hustle.  Forgot how ridiculously fun that movie was.  Anything else out there that's as good and maybe abit similar with it's humor and action? I already watched Shaolin Soccer which was alright, but Kung Fu Hustle was Chow's best.

*EDIT*
Also, Legend of the Drunken Master.  Holy crap, another gem I had forgotten.  The choreography is amazing. Probably one of my favorite Jackie Chan flicks.
The Ip Man films. Good deal of comedy/action/deep tones. The choreography in it is ridiculous.

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 04-21-2012

(04-13-2012, 03:09 AM)Karth link Wrote: Cabin in the Woods was crazy. Felt like Goddard and Whedon got together one day and just started talking about how much horror movies suck today, and based a movie around it. Good stuff though, check it out.

Cabin in the Woods was amazing. That is all.

Re: The Movie Thread - Saxxy - 04-22-2012

(04-21-2012, 09:32 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=947.msg242934#msg242934 date=1334304599]
Cabin in the Woods was crazy. Felt like Goddard and Whedon got together one day and just started talking about how much horror movies suck today, and based a movie around it. Good stuff though, check it out.

Cabin in the Woods was amazing. That is all.
[/quote]

Saw that last night.  First horror movie that i've watched all the way through.  My hands were clenched so hard that part of my hand was still numb several hours later.  And I may have just closed my eyes and stuck my fingers in my ears for a lot of parts.

In retrospect, its a good thing the girl I like didn't go with us :p

god i really fucking hate horror movies

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 04-22-2012

I saw Drive last night, it was crazy good. When the second act started I was like WTF, but then I realized it was so well developed that everything fit together perfectly. The attention to detail was amazing.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 04-24-2012

So, good news. The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire has a new director. Maybe we won't get shaky cam during flashback sequences for no reason.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 04-24-2012

(04-24-2012, 10:14 AM)Squishy link Wrote: So, good news. The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire has a new director. Maybe we won't get shaky cam during flashback sequences for no reason.
Yeah, it's supposed to be the guy who directed I Am Legend.

Also, new Brave trailer that actually tells us what's going on:
Pixar's Brave - Trailer 3 [Official][HD]

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 04-25-2012

I thought I wouldn't get the shell shock from Akira during my second time through.

Nope.