Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - rumsfald - 06-08-2012

@ Versa - I don't know who cares about Jack Thompson. I was asking Vongore to extend his remarks, and I was speculating one likely line of thought.

@ Karth - Yes, the "arcade" seems like a plot device, but I don't see evidence that they are faithfully recreating arcade games in services of that device. I spot a Bowzer, more associated with console, rather than arcade. I spot a Dr. Robotnik, more associated with console, rather than arcade. Zangief (and is that an M. Bison too?) started in arcade but I suspect equal number of folks were introduced to streetfighter via console as arcade. I see something that looks like MarioCart, console game. if your major is film studies, I would think you would, you know, study what's in the film.

On rewatch, I still think that Ralph in Call of Heroes looks like he is in Gears of War armor with a see-through visor-HALO-helmet. Maybe the enemies look more like the enemies in 3-d metroid games, but i dunno.

Also, on rewatch, it's disappointing that Disney didn't take a more unique direction in art style. Wreck-it-Ralph is a pixelated game, but they animate him like toy-story. I'd rather see a more pixelated real-life-Ralph than another-toy-story-esque look alike (as, when in the Call of Heroes suit, he also looks like Buzz Lightyear)

Re: Re: The Movie Thread - HeK - 06-08-2012

Saw Prometheus, not really satisfied.
Barely 7.0 / 10. All writing issues.

Direction, acting, art, all perfect.

I'm going to need to see it again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-09-2012

(06-08-2012, 10:35 PM)HeK link Wrote: Saw Prometheus, not really satisfied.

Saw it as well. Lot's of meandering in the movie. Opinion is slowly lowering the more I look back on it. I enjoyed it overall, but it has a lot of problems.

Goddammit, it's Super 8 all over again.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 06-10-2012

I, also, saw Prometheus. 

Is it so hard for someone to say, "Eh, why are you covered in blood?",  "Oh, you mean there's a belligerent alien tadpole in the medical pod?  Good to know." 

Re: The Movie Thread - rumsfald - 06-10-2012

The first duty of the captain is, naturally, to decorate the Christmas tree. Because it’s Christmas apparently. Charlize Theron reminds him that there is a mission briefing. He informs her that he has yet to have breakfast. He’s been asleep for two years, and decides to decorate a Christmas tree (while smoking a cigar in a closed environment) before he has breakfast. We realise that the crew selection procedure was yet another casualty of the cuts required to ensure that they had a sodding big spaceship (SBS from here on in).

spoilers, of course.

Re: Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-10-2012

(06-09-2012, 01:07 AM)Karth link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=947.msg247035#msg247035 date=1339212908]
Saw Prometheus, not really satisfied.

Saw it as well. Lot's of meandering in the movie. Opinion is slowly lowering the more I look back on it. I enjoyed it overall, but it has a lot of problems.

Goddammit, it's Super 8 all over again.
[/quote]
Wanted to add an addendum to my Brb review.

After about a day of discussion in various parts of the internet, my view on Prometheus has changed. The discussion I've gotten out of the movie is absolutely wonderful and everything the movie explores about the space jockeys is fascinating, as is Michael Fassbender as the android "David".

I still think the movie is a mess though. It's littered with terrible writing and there plenty of stupid moments throughout. I think it's good enough to recommend, just be aware that the characters are nonsensical (besides David) and the writing is no good.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 06-10-2012

(06-10-2012, 07:23 PM)Karth link Wrote: everything the movie explores about the space jockeys is fascinating

Care to elaborate here?

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-10-2012

(06-10-2012, 09:59 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=947.msg247113#msg247113 date=1339374234]
everything the movie explores about the space jockeys is fascinating

Care to elaborate here?
[/quote]

Sure. Massive Spoilers ahead.

***Don't click on the links. Those are also spoilers.***

[spoiler]We're introduced to space jockeys (or engineers, as they call them in the movie) with the opening scene. A space jockey drinks the black goo and essentially disintegrates into slime. This causes the initial spark to human life and evolution on Earth. This is backed up by the DNA match scene after the reanimated head explodes into goo. The Engineers created us by using primordial DNA to kick start the process.

Yet, if they created us, then why do they now want to kill us? What happened to make them hate us so much? This was actually a question that the answer was only hinted at in a certain scene in the movie. The carved depiction of a xenomorph crucified. (link) But what does that have to do with space jockeys, or anything to do with the movie? Unfortunately, it seems many a scene were cut for the theatrical run, including the scene in which the crew of Prometheus discover why the engineers wanted us dead. Here's what Ridley Scott said in an interview: Pic. Source. It essentially says that Jesus was an emissary sent from the Engineers to end war and atrocities on Earth. They ended up crucifying him. This theory is further claim is further backed up by the fact that the Engineers had been checking up on us, and left the same symbol every time they left: The map. But the maps seem to stop showing up after a certain time period. Fast forward to the abandoned base in Prometheus. A dead Engineer body is found and carbon dated at around 2000 years. That would have meant the base was abandoned right before the Engineers took off to exact revenge on their creation, by wiping out all life on Earth.

This leads to another line of questioning: Why did the Engineers leave the base? The first thing I usually hear is that the Engineers had a change of heart, or felt far too much compassion for their children. This theory, however, doesn't explain why the ships and bio-weapons are still there. There are ships leftover in all the bases, not just the one Prometheus explored. So, if they had a change of heart and decided to continue on with their lives, why didn't they take their ships with them? This is also contradicted by how the Engineer who awoke from cryostasis reacted to the humans and what David said to him (which is another discussion entirely). The actual answer lies within the hologram playback that David activates. The Engineers are clearly running away from something. The black goo isn't alive, so it can't be that. What other creatures were there besides the Engineers themselves? Xenomorphs. Some people mistakenly claim this as false, saying that the first xenomorph was birthed at the end of the film. The movie strongly hints otherwise. First off, the carving (which was linked earlier) is clearly some type of xenomorph. If the Engineers had never encountered one, there is no possible way it could have been on that carving. The movie also alludes to a possible outbreak of the xenomorphs, which would explain the total abandonment of the bases. When the Biologist and Geologist get lost (ugh...) they discover a large quantity of Space Jockey corpses with "holes in their chest cavity". Chestbursters, methinks. Also recall the ridiculous Vagina Squid. It appears to act as some sort of facehugger, implanting an alien into the Engineer at the very end of the film. But to talk about the xenomorphs further, I need to address one more thing:

The Black Goo.

Now, the most popular theory about the black goo is that there are multiple types of goo made by the space jockeys. There's a type used to break down DNA back into ooze (used in the beginning of the film) and the highly-potent mutagen found on the Space Jockey ship. The mutagen appears to accelerate evolution at an alarming rate, evidenced by the worms turned into snakes and the super-fightin'-zombie-geologist (ugh...). It is my opinion that the xenomorph is the height of the mutagen process. This is evidenced by the snake-worms (officially named "Hammerpede's") resemblance to facehuggers (comparison), production art evidencing further mutations into xenomorphs, and the squid-facehugger thing. Perhaps it is not the same xenomorph in Alien, but perhaps it was a predecessor of them. This means only one thing: The Engineers created xenomorphs. The purpose? To either destroy life on earth or change humanity entirely.
[/spoiler]

I can't think of anything else to talk about right now, I spent way too much time on this post. Hope you find it interesting.

Re: The Movie Thread - at0m - 06-11-2012

I just saw it.

I think I had the 'wat' face almost the entire time.

Very entertained. And creeped out. And I want to discuss both the movie scifi fanboy shit, and the philosophical shit, once my mind recovers from being blown.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 06-11-2012

Karth, you just wrote a wall of text because "space jockey" is a far more appropriate term for the rather cookie cutter contractor & ship's crew characters from earth than the Engineers, which caused me confusion. 

Also, [spoiler]On the Jesus is an Alien point: Elvis didn't die, he just gave up and went home.[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-11-2012

(06-11-2012, 01:45 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: Karth, you just wrote a wall of text because "space jockey" is a far more appropriate term for the rather cookie cutter contractor & ship's crew characters from earth than the Engineers, which caused me confusion. 
But I worked so hard on it! :'(

Re: The Movie Thread - Azure_Angel - 06-12-2012

I really wish this was longer. Kevin Spacey does an amazing job, and I love the story.

'The Ventriloquist' starring Kevin Spacey [OFFICIAL]

EDIT: I take that back. He does a great job in The Ventriloquist. He does an AMAZING job in this one. Such a beautiful film... 'Envelope' starring Kevin Spacey [OFFICIAL]

Re: The Movie Thread - Didzo - 06-12-2012

Here's the third in that bunch.

'Spirit Of A Denture' starring Kevin Spacey [OFFICIAL]

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 06-16-2012

You want the good news or the bad news first?

Ok, the good news.  That hack job Micheal Bay was doing on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been shutdown in pre-production, with released pushed back to sometime in 2014.

The bad news? Saw in the same article that the motherfuckers pushed GI: Retaliation to march 2013.  MOTHERFUCKERS!

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-16-2012

(06-16-2012, 09:24 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: You want the good news or the bad news first?

Ok, the good news.  That hack job Micheal Bay was doing on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been shutdown in pre-production, with released pushed back to sometime in 2014.

The bad news? Saw in the same article that the motherfuckers pushed GI: Retaliation to march 2013.  MOTHERFUCKERS!

The GI: Joe thing has been known for a few weeks now. I find it funny considering their reason behind it, Post-Production 3D. But doesn't anyone else find it a bit strange that post-production 3D would take 9 months to implement? There's definitely other reasons behind it.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 06-16-2012

yeah, i don't regularly check movie news sites.  So it was new to me.  And infuriating. 

Re: The Movie Thread - Maxon - 06-17-2012

Just watched Superman vs the Elite.  It's good.  Animation seems on the verge of being good tv rather than good movie, but it's kinda badass by not not taking it easy with the violence, especially when the Elite come in hard.  Never saw a man's limbs get crinkled up like newspaper.  Also it has an amazing line..."You got some terrorist on you" lol

Re: The Movie Thread - Vongore - 06-17-2012

(06-16-2012, 02:39 PM)Karth link Wrote: [quote author=LT Crow link=topic=947.msg247561#msg247561 date=1339856644]
You want the good news or the bad news first?

The GI: Joe thing has been known for a few weeks now. I find it funny considering their reason behind it, Post-Production 3D. But doesn't anyone else find it a bit strange that post-production 3D would take 9 months to implement? There's definitely other reasons behind it.
[/quote]

They must 3D-ify every single muscle on the rock's body.. Also, his eyebrows and the weird mechanics that enable him to make the people's eyebrow take 4 months alone to 3D.

[Image: the_rock_eyebrow.jpg]

Re: The Movie Thread - Kor - 06-17-2012

(06-17-2012, 03:33 AM)Maxon link Wrote: Just watched Superman vs the Elite.  It's good.  Animation seems on the verge of being good tv rather than good movie, but it's kinda badass by not not taking it easy with the violence, especially when the Elite come in hard.  Never saw a man's limbs get crinkled up like newspaper.  Also it has an amazing line..."You got some terrorist on you" lol

Watch it as well. After watching the other DC animations and Young Justice it was a bit of shock to see Super Jaw again, took a few minutes to work it into the story. All and all though, decent, but not quite on par with some the previous entire DC has released.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-20-2012

Monsters University Teaser - Pony