Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-20-2012

Chief look, I didn't mean to start an e-fight. I've been awake for more than 2 days straight thanks to work and have been more dickish recently, especially considering I've been very disturbed after reading about the murders that happened last night. Sorry that I took your post as some sort of insult.

Here are my general thoughts since the movie has settled:

The Dark Knight Rises is unfortunately another not-so-strong end to a great series. It will hang among other threequels such as Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 as disappointing, but not wholly bad. For positives, the film has great performances from most of its cast like Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and (for the first act) Anne Hathaway. There are a couple great action set-pieces as well as some well-shot action sequences. However, I'm very disappointed with how the story and writing was handled. It feels like Nolan was rushed to get a script out to Warner Bros. without getting a chance to polish it. The story feels unfinished (or at the very least, muddled) and many of the new characters don't get fleshed out enough to develop a personality. Anne Hathaway really grabbed my attention for the first 40 minutes or so, but after that she just wasn't given anything important to do. I, personally, thought Bane's voice was silly-sounding. I can't help it, it sounds like a drive-thru speaker!

I was really surprised to see that there was so much CG effects in this film. Nolan has been so dedicated to keeping it real, something which I loved in the last two movies, what with the miniatures, and the real explosions, and the flipping a truck and the like. This time around, a gigantic amount of computer effects have found their way onto the scene, and it bugged me.

I'm starting to nod off due to sleep deprivation so I'll wrap this up.

There were several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief (which would go into spoiler territory) and I felt the music was definitely the weakest in the trilogy.

It's a good movie, if not a bit unmemorable, that I had a lot of problems with.

Re: The Movie Thread - Maxon - 07-20-2012

[spoiler]Did anyone else think that Blake (It was Blake right? I totally forget) figuring out Bruce was Batman, didn't fit too well? From what I remember, he just talks about how he could tell that Bruce was acting it up as playboy billionaire when he showed up at the orphanage when he was young, but they just made it seem like that is all it took.  From that alone, he knew he was Batman? Didn't make sense to me really.  Maybe he would have a different opinion about him, but it seemed like quite a leap to make unless I just missed another part.[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-20-2012

(07-20-2012, 08:12 PM)Maxon link Wrote: spoilers
I felt similar. His entire character is one of the reasons I think the script was rushed. It's good for a first draft, but feels weird in such a polished franchise.

Re: The Movie Thread - StolenToast - 07-20-2012

(07-20-2012, 08:12 PM)Maxon link Wrote: spoiler
I remember thinking that too for most of the movie, but I also seem to remember something later answered my questions.  Or maybe not.  I wish at some point in the movie [spoiler]Blake would have said something like "Holy cabbage-mangler, Batman!"  It would be in some subtle way, like the revealing of his name. [/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - VeraLapsa - 07-21-2012

[spoiler]I'm pretty sure someone could deduce that Bruce was Batman. Let's see 1. Bruce's Money 2. Batman Disappeared after took rap for Harvy's death 3. Bruce becomes a recluse 4. In Blake's case he know's what it feels like to have your parents taken from you and knows you have to vent some how. I say that's enough to take a good guess that he's Batman.[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - Maxon - 07-21-2012

(07-21-2012, 01:02 AM)VeraLapsa link Wrote: [spoiler]I'm pretty sure someone could deduce that Bruce was Batman. Let's see 1. Bruce's Money 2. Batman Disappeared after took rap for Harvy's death 3. Bruce becomes a recluse 4. In Blake's case he know's what it feels like to have your parents taken from you and knows you have to vent some how. I say that's enough to take a good guess that he's Batman.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's certainly not unreasonable, he's a smart guy as seen with his character in figuring out stuff, but all he says "I can tell when someone wears a mask".  It just felt like he should've laid it out better.  He just goes "Sup, Bruce, whens that Batman coming back?", Bruce goes "Nah", he talks about wearing a mask, and then Bruce is just "Uhh Uhh...". Just felt alittle too convenient perhaps, but it might just be.[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - rumsfald - 07-21-2012

(07-20-2012, 07:50 PM)VeraLapsa link Wrote: Not to come off insensitive, what happened in Colorado was terrible, but I don't see why that should stop people from discussing the movie.

We have at least 2 BRBU members from Colorado. I have no idea whether they (or anyone else in the community) have any friends or family affected by this. I pray they are unaffected, but I have no idea.

I didn't say no one should talk about the movie. I suggested it might be more respectful to other members of the community to wait a few days before having the INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION of whether or not this movie was PRETTY GOOD or JUST MEDIOCRE.

Re: The Movie Thread - Chief - 07-21-2012

Yeah I guess my comments came off as pretty dickish too, although that seems to be the reputation I have around here nowadays

one point i want to make right off the bat is that i didnt make the comment on here that i did to pretty much all of my friends after the movie: the first 20 minutes of the movie was pretty weak, and i can see you probably felt as if what i saw as a weak intro continue throughout the movie. there was a bunch of new character introductions throughout the first few minutes that probably could have been handled better for sure (although ledger's unfortunate death probably put an extreme spin on what nolan was going to do in the next movie), and i think that was nolan trying to squish all the new characters in that first 20 minutes: miranda tate, selina kyle, bane, john blake, dr. pavel, daggett, foley - you can clearly see that there is a whole new bunch of characters that play a pretty big role for the rest of the movie. to me, i was wondering if maybe he tried to cut a good number of opening scenes out, as it seemed to just jump from place to place to place. however, after [spoiler]batman returns after the whole 'wall street' heist[/spoiler] i felt as if the movie picked up steam and i was finally immersed. scenes didnt start to jump around as much, and things were finally fleshed out

i dont see what you mean about the number of CG effects in the film. [spoiler]i remember seeing the scene with the whole bunch of policemen vs mercenaries was completely done with extras, and seeing that on an imax screen was really, really cool.[/spoiler] if there were any CG effects like explosions, i dont really think it was that special/needed to be done for real, as i didnt really notice them i guess

like i mentioned earlier, the first 20 minutes of the movie was pretty weak in my eyes because i wasnt really immersed until after those 20 minutes, which is when all the introductions were basically done. the rest of the movie though was done exceptionally, with little problems such as bane's voice throwing me off once in a while, but didn't really overall affect the movie i believe. for the music, i didnt really notice it, but i think when it needed music, it did it well, but certainly didnt take the effect that it did in the last movie (the two 'chaos' notes i believe the composers said it was that was constantly throughout the movie that is used whenever joker or his plans are on the screen), but it worked well nonetheless

i guess i can see your point in some points where your suspension of disbelief was broken, but i guess it really didnt hit me as much other than the 20 minutes im continually mentioning. i think i stand on the same point as ebert when he says "the film begins slowly with a murky plot and too many new characters, but builds to a sensational climax", which is what i was definitely from the final movie of nolan's trilogy, and i was not disappointed in that sense

if there's a director's cut (something nolan doesnt do, so im not expecting it in all honesty), i think those first 20 minutes would feel a lot more completed which is the only big problem i had with the movie

Re: The Movie Thread - K2 - 07-21-2012

Just saw it today. I don't think it topped The Dark Knight (and I honestly didn't think they would be able to top it anyway), but it was still very good. I thought the ending was pretty much perfect. I do find it funny that [spoiler]pretty much every silly rumor I heard about the story (and had basically completely dismissed) ended up being kind of true: Marion Cotillard being Talia and Blake being Robin (though it seemed more like he would just be the next Batman). I also saw a comment on some random website claiming that Batman marries Catwoman, which I immediately identified as a joke and laughed at myself throughout the movie for even considering for a second that it was true; then I saw the ending...[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 07-21-2012

Saw it today.  Christopher Nolan bitched out.  At least Joss Whedon knows how to leave characters dead. 

Re: The Movie Thread - Mission Difficult - 07-21-2012

(07-21-2012, 11:36 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=VeraLapsa link=topic=947.msg250236#msg250236 date=1342831809]
Not to come off insensitive, what happened in Colorado was terrible, but I don't see why that should stop people from discussing the movie.

We have at least 2 BRBU members from Colorado. I have no idea whether they (or anyone else in the community) have any friends or family affected by this. I pray they are unaffected, but I have no idea.

I didn't say no one should talk about the movie. I suggested it might be more respectful to other members of the community to wait a few days before having the INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION of whether or not this movie was PRETTY GOOD or JUST MEDIOCRE.

[/quote]

I'm seven or eight miles from the theater. I wasn't there and didn't know anyone who was. Just skimming this thread so I don't get spoilers. Posting to say I'm still alive.

Re: The Movie Thread - Luinbariel - 07-21-2012

[Image: batmanatee__by_jharris-d571p2v.jpg]

Batmanatee

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 07-22-2012

Sex and Death 101, counter intuitively, is not a introduction level snuff film.  And actually wasn't that bad. 

Re: The Movie Thread - Azure_Angel - 07-23-2012

Some day... I will return home and work with amazing man. I will get a job with Peter Jackson if it takes me my whole life. ;_; [/url]

(07-22-2012, 10:10 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_Death_101]Sex and Death 101, counter intuitively, is not a introduction level snuff film.  And actually wasn't that bad. 

It's a surprisingly good sleeper hit. I really enjoyed it.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-23-2012

Miyazaki makes all days better.

Re: The Movie Thread - backfire - 07-24-2012

Okay, so I came here to post about how I thought Batman was awesome and everything, but apparently since everyone had the expectation that this was gunna be the second coming of Jesus and it would bring about world peace and solve world hunger, I'll just keep my opinion to myself and do my best to keep out of this thread from here forward.

Re: The Movie Thread - Didzo - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 01:53 AM)backfire link Wrote: Okay, so I came here to post about how I thought Batman was awesome and everything, but apparently since everyone had the expectation that this was gunna be the second coming of Jesus and it would bring about world peace and solve world hunger, I'll just keep my opinion to myself and do my best to keep out of this thread from here forward.

Best post.

Re: The Movie Thread - Chief - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 01:53 AM)backfire link Wrote: Okay, so I came here to post about how I thought Batman was awesome and everything, but apparently since everyone had the expectation that this was gunna be the second coming of Jesus and it would bring about world peace and solve world hunger, I'll just keep my opinion to myself and do my best to keep out of this thread from here forward.
well you know actually... [spoiler]batman is jesus how do you think he got over all that ocean? swimming or not actually even being there? he walked across the water[/spoiler]

Re: The Movie Thread - rumsfald - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 01:53 AM)backfire link Wrote: since everyone had the expectation that this was gunna be the second coming of Jesus

Yes, after Jesus died the Engineers sent Batman to Earth to give humans one last chance at survival before they gave up and sent the bioweapons to kill the planet. Most everyone totally saw that coming. Also, Bane's real name was Hauser and he was only supposed to be in Gotham for two weeks.

Re: The Movie Thread - matter11 - 07-25-2012

Maybe you can help me out.

Questions/holes in batman:
[spoiler]
1. What happened to the tunnel cat woman opened up? why didn't the school bus go there?
2. How the fuck did Bruce get back to Gotham? He escapes from prison in some desert with a bag of scraps and despite having no money shows up in a locked down city in a damn suit
3. When/how did they get motorcycles in the stock exchange?
3.5 WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE JUST FUCKING HIP CHECK THE MOTORCYCLES AS THEY DROVE AWAY THROUGH THE BARRICADE

[/spoiler]

Also I'd like everyone to know that the football stadium is that of the steelers and pitt panthers. In only one shot that I saw for a moment you can see one of the giant ketchup bottles on top of the jumbotron. heinz field!