Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - Sogo - 12-15-2013

(12-15-2013, 10:26 PM)CPT Crow link Wrote: No one's seen CumberSmaug? 

I did, it was excellent, Barrel Ride scene is now one of my favorite action sequences.

Re: The Movie Thread - Evil Cheese - 12-16-2013

(12-15-2013, 10:26 PM)CPT Crow link Wrote: No one's seen CumberSmaug? 

Ah, so that's why his voice sounded familiar. I couldn't quite put my finger on why until I saw that. There were definitely some cool action sequences, but I think the movie had some pacing issues. It seemed like it went from one event to another so quickly that it never really gave you time to breathe and digest what just happened. There also wasn't really a lot of character building moments of the main group outside of Bilbo and Thorin. Hell even [spoiler]Legolas and Tauriel[/spoiler] got more individual screen time than most of the dwarves. Granted, most of the dwarves aren't really mentioned much individually in the book either, but it's hard to get invested in this group when the audience doesn't know much about them outside the four or so who actually have speaking lines. I'm not a big fan of the forced romance subplot either. I miss the practical effects orcs of the LOTR trilogy as well, most of the "main" orcs are Gollum-esque CGI characters.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 12-16-2013

22 Jump Street - Official Red Band Trailer

Re: The Movie Thread - FlyingMongoose - 12-16-2013

(12-16-2013, 03:33 PM)Squishy link Wrote: 22 Jump Street - Official Red Band Trailer

Okay, I saw 21 jump street in theaters and was crying laughing almost the entire time... especially at the end... I hope this lives up.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 12-16-2013

(12-16-2013, 04:16 PM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=947.msg274552#msg274552 date=1387226007]
22 Jump Street - Official Red Band Trailer

Okay, I saw 21 jump street in theaters and was crying laughing almost the entire time... especially at the end... I hope this lives up.
[/quote]Rob Riggle's lines at the end sold me. Probably going to go see this week 1, if you have a Marcus theatres near you they have $5 movies any movie on tuesdays now, doesn't matter if it just released or not, and they have $2.50 popcorn and $2.50 soda on tuesdays.

Re: The Movie Thread - spm201 - 12-16-2013

Watched Hamlet 2 after a few very film literate people told me it was the funniest movie they'd ever seen. I wouldn't go that far, but it was ridiculous to the max and had a few great laughs in it. 7/10 worth a watch.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 12-16-2013

I read a review of Hobbits: Electric Boogaloo before I went and saw it.  

I was prepare for a long, drawn out movie, with extraneous scenes and scenes that were necessary stretched to the point of absurdity.  

The guy on Kotaku who wrote that shit is a fucking moron.  I loved the fucking [spoiler]barrel ride[/spoiler] sequence; I can't wait for that shit to hit a themepark, granted you might have to show ID to get on that ride.  

[spoiler]But yeah, Legolas and She-Ra the elf- WTF MATE^^?  At least Viggo Mortensen had the decency to say, "Aragorn wasn't in the hobbit, Why on earth are you asking me to be in your movie?  No." [/spoiler]

Doesn't matter, I thought it was great.  I mean, [spoiler]GIANT GOLDEN DWARF KING[/spoiler] exploding on [spoiler]GIANT FUCKING DRAGON.[/spoiler]  I really can't believe she didn't gag [spoiler]i'm just screwing with the people who don't want to read the spoiler sections[/spoiler]... you'd think they'd save that shit for the unrated cut.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 12-17-2013

the hobbit was good

Re: The Movie Thread - rumbot - 12-17-2013

I'm as much a JRR fan as the next nerd. but I haven't seen either of the hobbittses because nostalgia.

Do the new remakes include any of the great songs (even if re-created) from

[Image: 114776464.jpg]

(yes, I listened to the fuck out of that LP as a kid and still have it).

Re: The Movie Thread - HeK - 12-17-2013

(12-17-2013, 07:15 PM)rumbot link Wrote: I'm as much a JRR fan as the next nerd. but I haven't seen either of the hobbittses because nostalgia.

Yes, but just one.

Re: The Movie Thread - rumbot - 12-17-2013

Surprisingly, the Nemoy song is not on the LP.

Rather, I refer to this: Fifteen birds - the Hobbit

Re: The Movie Thread - at0m - 12-18-2013

(12-17-2013, 10:29 PM)rumbot link Wrote: Surprisingly, the Nemoy song is not on the LP.

Rather, I refer to this: Fifteen birds - the Hobbit
I haven't seen the second hobbit, but considering the first ends just after that scene, I can tell you that song isn't included. Unfortunately, in my opinion, since there was a lot of singing in the book.

Re: The Movie Thread - Kor - 12-19-2013

(12-17-2013, 07:15 PM)rumbot link Wrote: I'm as much a JRR fan as the next nerd. but I haven't seen either of the hobbittses because nostalgia.

I can't recall the entirety of the old Hobbit film there, but the Goblin King song seemed to be of the same vibe; It fit well, without taking itself seriously(Unlike the Dwarven acapella at Bag End)

Re: The Movie Thread - spm201 - 12-21-2013

Saw Frozen and Inside Llewyn Davis.

Frozen was your solid run of the mill Disney musical. Great animation, well written characters, a good concept, hired some top notch voices (looking at you Idina Menzel), and kept me entertained the whole way through. Not their strongest film from a writing standpoint, as at least 10-15 minutes of it total felt unnecessary, and at least 2 of the songs were kinda boring, but it'll do. Oh and for once, the solely-comic-relief-character was not at all annoying, never had a bad joke, and, admittedly, was my favorite part of the whole thing. Solid 7/10

I'll admit I've been nothing but excited for Inside Llewyn Davis since I first saw the trailer 4 months ago. Not only is it about music, but folk music? The Coens made this just for me. All the songs and voice talent were great. I actually have zero complaints about either one and I'd consider that rare from me. The characters were also well written, with the exception of Carey Mulligan, whose only depth was, quite literally, her vagina. Sadly, it did not feature more Justin Timberlake, who I've wanted to see more acting out of since The Social Network. Come to think of it, pretty much every character besides LLewyn himself didn't really get that much screentime. The whole thing certainly had that Coen vibe to it, and if you've seen their other work you know what I'm talking about. If not, watch something because it can't exactly be put into words. I'll admit that coming right out of the theater I had the feeling that it was lacking. I don't know what, it just didn't feel complete to me. I sat down with Karth for half an hour and talked it out. It was packed full of themes and symbolism so there was plenty to discuss. Even now I keep thinking back to it and seeing new things and the feeling of incompleteness is slowly going away as the whole picture unfolds. It definitely merits a second viewing and I'm not exactly dreading it. I hesitate to give out a solid rating right now because I'm really still not sure how I feel about this film, but I'll give it a tentative 8/10 so the good people of BRBU have something to go off of.

Re: The Movie Thread - rumbot - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 07:50 AM)spm201 link Wrote: Frozen Solid 7/10

Inside Llewyn Davis I'll give it a tentative 8/10

[Image: 44066490.jpg]

[Image: 44066511.jpg]

Re: The Movie Thread - Didzo - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 09:40 AM)rumbot link Wrote: [quote author=spm201 link=topic=947.msg274726#msg274726 date=1387630229]
Frozen Solid 7/10

[/quote]

You made me think of Karth's existence.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 12-21-2013

I don't even have to participate at this point.

Re: The Movie Thread - spm201 - 12-22-2013

(12-21-2013, 09:40 AM)rumbot link Wrote: [quote author=spm201 link=topic=947.msg274726#msg274726 date=1387630229]
Frozen Solid 7/10

[/quote]

I'm know you're not serious but for what it's worth, just a 1-10 scale. None of the "but wait a 7 is only a C and that's almost a failing grade!" bullshit. I guess that would be closer to metacritic.

Re: The Movie Thread - spm201 - 12-28-2013

American Hustle was really not great. Wanted to love it but could barely like it. It was overly long, and barely had my attention at most parts. Interesting concept, and it was well made, but, unfortunately just too boring in execution. Scrapes by with a 6/10, only carried on the backs of some great performances by Bale, Cooper, and mostly Jeremy Renner. On the plus side you do get to see Bradley Cooper dry hump Louis C.K. That was pretty great.

Re: The Movie Thread - K2 - 12-28-2013

I really enjoyed American Hustle. The acting was all fantastic (with a breakout performance by Amy Adams' cleavage), and it was surprisingly hilarious. I give it 194.2 biscuits out of 233 continental breakfasts, with an extra DoubleStar Belgian Waffle Bonus.