Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 12-25-2009

(12-24-2009, 09:10 AM)SAVAGE-0 link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=947.msg128525#msg128525 date=1261660707]
Finally found a theater with Paranormal Activity. It was only alright (not bad for $1), I hate internet hype machines Sad

it was one of the stupidest things i'd ever seen... I'm actually quite upset i watched the whole thing.  Though an FYI - the theatre version and one floating around on the internetz has different endings... mine was stupid and from what I heard the theatre one was just as bad.

not as bad as the breakup tho... but damn close
[/quote]they changed it for the nationwide release, original ending was a throat slit

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 12-25-2009

UP was even better the fourth time around.

Re: The Movie Thread - Coppanuva - 12-25-2009

So I saw Up in the Air last weekend (one of the good things about being in Dallas is we have a few artsy movie theaters, and also Up in the Air had a huge promotional partnership with American Airlines, who is headquartered in Dallas so we got to see it early), and I can honestly say it was good. The script was well written enough to make humor out of a depressing and bitter subject. I laughed a lot at it actually, one of the best movies overall this year IMO.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 12-25-2009

so, 500 days of Summer-

Good Movie

Bad Date Movie

Re: The Movie Thread - Turtle - 12-25-2009

(12-25-2009, 10:43 PM)Coppanuva link Wrote: So I saw Up in the Air last weekend (one of the good things about being in Dallas is we have a few artsy movie theaters, and also Up in the Air had a huge promotional partnership with American Airlines, who is headquartered in Dallas so we got to see it early), and I can honestly say it was good. The script was well written enough to make humor out of a depressing and bitter subject. I laughed a lot at it actually, one of the best movies overall this year IMO.
good

my gf and i are gonna see it next week

Re: The Movie Thread - Kor - 12-26-2009

Saw Avatar on Christmas, and the imagery is still very vivid in my mind. As expected the plot textbook, but not so rigid that it was unenjoyable. The combination of the music and imagery, and the message it delivered is really what sold it for me. I'm always a sucker for the rejection of imperialist motivations in the face of natural splendour.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 12-26-2009

(12-26-2009, 11:15 AM)Kor link Wrote: Saw Avatar on Christmas, and the imagery is still very vivid in my mind. As expected the plot textbook, but not so rigid that it was unenjoyable. The combination of the music and imagery, and the message it delivered is really what sold it for me. I'm always a sucker for the rejection of imperialist motivations in the face of natural splendour.
3D? I saw it in regular 3D once, and then saw it in IMAX 3D. Infinitely better in IMAX 3D, just for the better speakers and everything. The world of Pandora is around you, and you can feel everything.

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 12-26-2009

I'm curious about how sherlock holmes is.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 12-26-2009

(12-26-2009, 01:15 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm curious about how sherlock holmes is.
I am too. Probably a good thing I got free tickets for both theaters I live near for Christmas.

Re: The Movie Thread - Spore - 12-26-2009

I saw Avatar on Christmas Eve. I have no idea why so many people are shitting on the movie. It was awesome (and the first movie I saw in 3D :o). By the way, I like how the 3D effects were never overdone, pop at your face sort of things, but were always just there in subtle ways. Very nice.

Re: The Movie Thread - Bonesinger - 12-26-2009

I saw Avatar on Christmas day. Sure the plot was predictable and there were cheesy lines and moments but damn it was an awesome movie. It was really easy to get sucked into the movie and at times I would forget that just about all I was seeing was CG. Still need to go see it in 3D at a IMAX theater :O

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 12-26-2009

Saw Sherlock Holmes today. It's kind of a hard movie to like. I mean, the cast and acting is great, and the script is never really bad, but at the same time nothing that happens makes you go "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO SEE THAT AGAIN". The story is a bit hard to follow and the way Sherlock figures things out are kind of silly. There's huge potential for Guy Ritchie to make a franchise off this movie, and I think I might like that.

But one thing I've GOT to say, this is a beautifully made movie. All the sets and costumes, even the scenery, matches the mood of the plot perfectly. The grey-blue color scheme adds to the mood instead of taking away from it like some other films (coughtwilightcough).

It wasn't a bad movie at all, but I can understand why some won't like it. If you're interested in seeing this, go ahead and watch it, you'll enjoy.

Re: The Movie Thread - Tricks - 12-26-2009

(12-26-2009, 01:15 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm curious about how sherlock holmes is.

It's a Guy Ritche film, and I really feel like he has gone downhill since Snatch. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was ok certainly, but I really don't feel it had whatever made Snatch so fantastic.

In Sherlock Holmes, I barely noticed his unique perspective at all. The frames weren't as sharp, and the scenes didn't seem so carefully put together (not to mention the dialogue was boring). I still think it is worth a rental and all, but it really feels more like Michael Bay film than anything else. Just a winter blockbuster I guess, with a pretty boring ending. This is coming from somebody who is a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr. I did laugh several times, to be fair, and I think the actual footage was very well done. It felt a lot like a more cheerful version of "From Hell", which is a Peter Moore graphic novel adaptation. They certainly took liberties with the general theme to the movie that at best are a carbon copy of "From Hell" if not outright theft. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120681/

Still, it made for a good afternoon. Sort of wish I would have seen Avatar now.

Re: The Movie Thread - K2 - 12-26-2009

I saw Up In The Air and Sherlock Holmes today. Both were enjoyable for completely different reasons. The former had interesting, well-acted characters and good humor. The latter had a great visual style, Robert Downey Jr. being quirky, and pretty good action, but I wish there was a little less fighting and a little more detectiving. Also I would agree with Tricks that Sherlock Holmes didn't really have anything distinctly Guy Ritchie in it. However,

(12-26-2009, 07:22 PM)Tricks link Wrote: which is a Peter Moore graphic novel adaptation.

It's Alan Moore, and how dare you forget his name.

Re: The Movie Thread - Tricks - 12-26-2009

(12-26-2009, 07:29 PM)K2 link Wrote: I saw Up In The Air and Sherlock Holmes today. Both were enjoyable for completely different reasons. The former had interesting, well-acted characters and good humor. The latter had a great visual style, Robert Downey Jr. being quirky, and pretty good action, but I wish there was a little less fighting and a little more detectiving. Also I would agree with Tricks that Sherlock Holmes didn't really have anything distinctly Guy Ritchie in it. However,

[quote author=Tricks link=topic=947.msg129132#msg129132 date=1261873325]
which is a Peter Moore graphic novel adaptation.

[/quote]

*facepalm*

Brb, uninstalling gray matter.

Been watching old Bond movies this week, crossed a wire there K2.

Re: The Movie Thread - cbre88x - 12-26-2009

(12-26-2009, 07:31 PM)Tricks link Wrote: [quote author=K2 link=topic=947.msg129135#msg129135 date=1261873794]
I saw Up In The Air and Sherlock Holmes today. Both were enjoyable for completely different reasons. The former had interesting, well-acted characters and good humor. The latter had a great visual style, Robert Downey Jr. being quirky, and pretty good action, but I wish there was a little less fighting and a little more detectiving. Also I would agree with Tricks that Sherlock Holmes didn't really have anything distinctly Guy Ritchie in it. However,

[quote author=Tricks link=topic=947.msg129132#msg129132 date=1261873325]
which is a Peter Moore graphic novel adaptation.

[/quote]

*facepalm*

Brb, uninstalling gray matter.

Been watching old Bond movies this week, crossed a wire there K2.
[/quote]

and now you're talking about Roger Moore.

Re: The Movie Thread - HeK - 12-27-2009

(12-26-2009, 07:22 PM)Tricks link Wrote: It's a Guy Ritche film, and I really feel like he has gone downhill since Snatch. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was ok certainly, but I really don't feel it had whatever made Snatch so fantastic.

LS2&SB came before Snatch. I feel RocknRolla was just as enjoyable. I haven't seen his other five movies tho, besides his BMW short film.

Re: The Movie Thread - Luinbariel - 12-27-2009

I really want to see how they do this Sherlock Holmes.

Also Karth I wonder, have you read the Sherlock Holmes books/stories at all?

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 12-27-2009

There's this author I like that started writing new Sherlock Holmes stories that are actually really good. I'm pretty sure it's Caleb Carr but my mind is spacing out on me right now. It should be him though because he rights some crazy good historical fiction.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 12-27-2009

(12-27-2009, 02:45 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I really want to see how they do this Sherlock Holmes.

Also Karth I wonder, have you read the Sherlock Holmes books/stories at all?
I have not.