Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - Coppanuva - 01-03-2010

My top 10 of last year (We'll see if it gets up to 10):

The Hangover
Moon
Up in the Air
Zombieland
The Informant
The Road
Sherlock Holmes
Funny People
District 9
Watchmen (Say what you will, I enjoyed it)

Not sure if I saw another movie I thought was good this year.
Bottom pick is definitely Transformers 2. I hated that movie so much, I now use it as a category for people. "Did you like (insert movie here)? Also, did you like Transformers 2?" if they answer yes to the second, my tastes and theirs do not match.

Ones I'm looking forward to:
Toy Story 3- It's toy Story. BUT THE THIRD ONE! Also, I get called Rex at school because I apparently remind people of him. So I gotta see it for my namesake.
Greenburg- Ben Stiller comedy that looks amusing and isn't written for kids? YES PLEASE!
Inception- Looks interesting, and Leonardo Dicaprio finally looks slightly older. It's the beard.
Iron Man 2- Maybe. It looks to me like it'll go either way this time.  I enjoyed the first, not my favourite super hero movie, but not bad. If they can pull off the same feel with the second, I'm in. If they just go for super action and explosions like Transformers 2 did, count me out

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 01-03-2010

I'm trying to watch Tim Burton's "Big Fish". Emphasis on the trying part. The film is stupid, and can get really boring. But it's really TRYING to be magical. Almost too hard you can say. Another thing about it is that I can find at least 3 scenes it ripped off/was inspired by Forrest Gump (A movie I'd much rather be watching).

Come on Burton...making a good movie isn't hard, just go back to Batman or Ed Wood or something!

Re: The Movie Thread - Mission Difficult - 01-03-2010

(01-03-2010, 01:45 AM)Karthkarthkarth link Wrote: I'm trying to watch Tim Burton's "Big Fish". Emphasis on the trying part. The film is stupid, and can get really boring. But it's really TRYING to be magical. Almost too hard you can say. Another thing about it is that I can find at least 3 scenes it ripped off/was inspired by Forrest Gump (A movie I'd much rather be watching).

Come on Burton...making a good movie isn't hard, just go back to Batman or Ed Wood or something!

I didn't find Big Fish to be that great, but when you take a girl to the movies what you're watching doesn't always matter (boing).

I'm not sure why people seem expect great things from Burton. I thought only overweight goth kids were supposed to be into him.

Re: The Movie Thread - Neonie - 01-03-2010

(01-03-2010, 02:45 AM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: [quote author=Karthkarthkarth link=topic=947.msg130308#msg130308 date=1262501120]
I'm trying to watch Tim Burton's "Big Fish". Emphasis on the trying part. The film is stupid, and can get really boring. But it's really TRYING to be magical. Almost too hard you can say. Another thing about it is that I can find at least 3 scenes it ripped off/was inspired by Forrest Gump (A movie I'd much rather be watching).

when you take a girl to the movies what you're watching doesn't always matter
[/quote]

How often is it ever actually the case you have a girl with you  ???

(01-03-2010, 03:28 AM)Neonie on a Boat link Wrote: [quote author=Mission Difficult link=topic=947.msg130320#msg130320 date=1262504741]
[quote author=Karthkarthkarth link=topic=947.msg130308#msg130308 date=1262501120]

when you take a girl to the movies what you're watching doesn't always matter
[/quote]

How often is it ever actually the case you have a girl with you  ???
[/quote]

Always.

Re: The Movie Thread - A. Crow - 01-03-2010

You should always go to a movie with a chick, this is law.  I don't think Avatar is anything ground breaking, all that stuff has been done before, just in less main stream media... or dances with wolves and fern gully.  The girl I took to see it wasn't really that impressed either, except by the length.  Which is funny, because she was expressing those sentiments later in the night also. 

Re: The Movie Thread - Chaosye - 01-03-2010

Hot Tub Time Machine - Official Trailer [HD]
ahhahah

Re: The Movie Thread - Luinbariel - 01-03-2010

(01-03-2010, 12:59 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: You should always go to a movie with a chick, this is law.  I don't think Avatar is anything ground breaking, all that stuff has been done before, just in less main stream media... or dances with wolves and fern gully.  The girl I took to see it wasn't really that impressed either, except by the length.  Which is funny, because she was expressing those sentiments later in the night also.   

I heard that Avatar was pretty much exactly what you described, and extremely predictable. I'll probably still see it but likely not in theaters. We don't get into the movies much these days.

Go with a chick or go with friends, whichever is better. Chicks like being taken to the movies. RIGHT HEK?

Avatar is predictable and the story isn't very good. However, it's the visuals that make up for everything. The action, the characters, the environment, it all makes up for a good movie.

double post derp

(01-03-2010, 02:45 AM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: [quote author=Karthkarthkarth link=topic=947.msg130308#msg130308 date=1262501120]

I didn't find Big Fish to be that great, but when you take a girl to the movies what you're watching doesn't always matter (boing).

I'm not sure why people seem expect great things from Burton. I thought only overweight goth kids were supposed to be into him.
[/quote]
If you look at the stuff he made in the 90's, you would expect great stuff too. Batman Returns, Ed Wood (One of my all-time favorite movies), Edward Scissorhands, and some others are all movies he was known for. After 2000...all his talent and wonder seemed to fly straight out of the window.

(01-03-2010, 02:50 PM)Karthkarthkarth link Wrote: double post derp

[quote author=Mission Difficult link=topic=947.msg130320#msg130320 date=1262504741]
[quote author=Karthkarthkarth link=topic=947.msg130308#msg130308 date=1262501120]

[/quote]
If you look at the stuff he made in the 90's, you would expect great stuff too. Batman Returns, Ed Wood (One of my all-time favorite movies), Edward Scissorhands, and some others are all movies he was known for. After 2000...all his talent and wonder seemed to fly straight out of the window.
[/quote]
He busted his nut on Pee-wee's Big Adventure.

Re: The Movie Thread - zaneyard - 01-03-2010

[/quote]
i liked big fish

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 01-03-2010

(01-03-2010, 02:55 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: [quote author=Karthkarthkarth link=topic=947.msg130401#msg130401 date=1262548212]
double post derp

[quote author=Mission Difficult link=topic=947.msg130320#msg130320 date=1262504741]

[/quote]
[/quote]
He busted his nut on Pee-wee's Big Adventure.
[/quote]F you, that movie is greatly enjoyable.

[Image: charlie-chaplin-the-circus.jpg]

Today was a good day.

Re: The Movie Thread - Benito Mussolini - 01-04-2010

Watched 8 1/2, from Frederico Fellini (if you watched the movie Nine -not 9-, the latest is a ripoff).
As expected from Fellini, it's a pretty sweet movie.

Watched Burn After Reading too. A pretty light movie, since most of the deaths are funny. I enjoyed.

Re: The Movie Thread - Tricks - 01-04-2010

(01-04-2010, 02:22 AM)Benito link Wrote: Watched 8 1/2, from Frederico Fellini (if you watched the movie Nine -not 9-, the latest is a ripoff).

Watched Burn After Reading too. A pretty light movie, since most of the deaths are funny. I enjoyed.

I really loved 8 ½. I will admit, I think the film had a lot of existential meaning to it that probably went over my head. I could catch hints of Sarte’s No Exit every so often, with the protagonist being in a constant state of inner-turmoil. I don’t remember the lines exactly, but his desire to both start over and to wallow in self-pity come out in a lot of his dialogue. He wants to make this totally honest film, and he is frustrated because he doesn’t know how to honestly express himself.

It’s not exactly a popcorn flick or anything, but it is a really great film if you feel like thinking. If I remember the ending correctly, it didn’t make any sense at all to me. Still a great movie. 

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 01-04-2010

(01-04-2010, 02:22 AM)Benito link Wrote: Watched 8 1/2, from Frederico Fellini (if you watched the movie Nine -not 9-, the latest is a ripoff).

Burn After Reading is amazing.

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 01-10-2010

I don't want to overhype it because Terry Gilliam movies almost always hit or miss but Imaginarium of Doctor Pernasus was really good. The ending was a bit meh though, I wonder if they had a better ending but had to change it because of Heath Ledger.

Re: The Movie Thread - SBCrystal - 01-11-2010

(01-10-2010, 11:29 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I don't want to overhype it because Terry Gilliam movies almost always hit or miss but Imaginarium of Doctor Pernasus was really good. The ending was a bit meh though, I wonder if they had a better ending but had to change it because of Heath Ledger.

Tideland was SUCH a mindfuck. The whole time I watched it I was like  :o

Re: The Movie Thread - SAVAGE-0 - 01-11-2010

(01-10-2010, 11:29 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I don't want to overhype it because Terry Gilliam movies almost always hit or miss but Imaginarium of Doctor Pernasus was really good. The ending was a bit meh though, I wonder if they had a better ending but had to change it because of Heath Ledger.

I still really wanna see this... I read a review that suggested seeing it at least 2 times, because its just so full of content.  First time you get to know the characters and basic plot - second time you actually absorb the rest of whats there... he was on his way to see it again bc he knew he'd still pick out things he missed...
pretty impressive for a movie to do that to someone who watches movies for a living Smile