Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - Eightball - 06-23-2010

(06-23-2010, 01:38 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Duck link=topic=947.msg160151#msg160151 date=1277316390]
[quote author=Trick link=topic=947.msg159846#msg159846 date=1277229898]
blah
You should check out Persepolis if you haven't already, I thought it was pretty good. Or Generation Kill I guess? Not really fantastic in any way but certainly an interesting watch and/or read if you're curious about what it's like at all
[/quote]
Oh god Persepolis was one of the best movies I have ever seen.
[/quote]
This.

Which reminds me, I still want to see Waltz with Bashir. Any opinions?

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-25-2010

Watched "The Terminal" today. It was really good.  Smile

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 06-26-2010

Saw Sandlot Friday night with a couple friends. Ran into the same group sans the dudes today and watched Toy Story 3. Both movies exceeded my expectations. Either I am easier to amuse than ever (certainly possible), or Sandlot ages incredibly well.

Also, I thought Toy Story 3 was more powerful emotionally than Up as, fwiw

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-26-2010

(06-26-2010, 11:36 PM)Duck link Wrote: Also, I thought Toy Story 3 was more powerful emotionally than Up as, fwiw
[Image: lex-luthor-wrong.jpg]

But seriously, Toy Story 3 was kind of sad. Nowhere near as sad as UP's first ten minutes.

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 06-26-2010

idk, I think a lot of it just comes from actually growing up with the movies. I had a buzz lightyear and woody when i was a kid. you were what, 3 or 4 years old when the original came out karth? And sure, Up tickled a heartstring or two in the opening, but the rest of the film was pretty light-hearted shenanigans after. Toy Story started off with some incredibly depressing imagery from the get go and was a roller-coaster from there on out. How deep Toy Story hits you depends entirely on how familiar you are with the emotions the toys are going through, struggling with abandonment, betrayal, jealousy, sacrifice, and a plethora of other nasty feelings. And honestly, Andy's last scene with the toys is - a bit embarassingly - going to be one that I never forget. Powerful doesn't have to mean depressing Karth, if you're gonna go into film you'd do well to remember that.

Re: The Movie Thread - Odin - 06-27-2010

(06-26-2010, 11:56 PM)Duck link Wrote: idk, I think a lot of it just comes from actually growing up with the movies. I had a buzz lightyear and woody when i was a kid. you were what, 3 or 4 years old when the original came out karth?

This, I had a Buzz Lightyear Action Figure who talked.

God did that own, I love those movies.  Need to see 3 so bad.

Re: The Movie Thread - Geoff - 06-27-2010

(06-26-2010, 11:56 PM)Duck link Wrote: idk, I think a lot of it just comes from actually growing up with the movies. I had a buzz lightyear and woody when i was a kid. you were what, 3 or 4 years old when the original came out karth? And sure, Up tickled a heartstring or two in the opening, but the rest of the film was pretty light-hearted shenanigans after. Toy Story started off with some incredibly depressing imagery from the get go and was a roller-coaster from there on out. How deep Toy Story hits you depends entirely on how familiar you are with the emotions the toys are going through, struggling with abandonment, betrayal, jealousy, sacrifice, and a plethora of other nasty feelings. And honestly, Andy's last scene with the toys is - a bit embarassingly - going to be one that I never forget. Powerful doesn't have to mean depressing Karth, if you're gonna go into film you'd do well to remember that.

will you be ok after that one karth?

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-27-2010

I didn't see those things in the last scene of Toy Story 3. Maybe that's just me. And I know that powerful doesn't always mean depressing. For me, UP had a really sad opening (seriously, if you didn't bawl you're a robot), but what really got me was the scene of him looking at his wife's adventure book (up on the paradise falls). The pure raw emotion of that scene is one that's implanted in my memory, and honestly, I'm probably going to think of that whenever I think of a heartwarming emotional moment.

Also I still have a Woody and Buzz Lightyear toy.  Sad

Re: The Movie Thread - Didzo - 06-27-2010

I watched Edward Scissorhands tonight.

Re: The Movie Thread - beep beep diglett - 06-27-2010

i think toy story 3 is alot more powerful for people with kids, a buddy of mine who just recently had a kid was p much bawling thru the whole thing, idk just something i noticed

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 06-27-2010

i think it's more just because having children makes you weak [Image: VxHeC.gif]

Re: The Movie Thread - allondra - 06-27-2010

Watched a movie where two people fall in love and it turns out they are both dying of cancer.  And the girl has some kind of ovarian cancer so she also can't have kids.  Why do fucked up movies like that get made? 

Re: The Movie Thread - Didzo - 06-27-2010

(06-27-2010, 12:18 PM)allondra link Wrote: Watched a movie where two people fall in love and it turns out they are both dying of cancer.  And the girl has some kind of ovarian cancer so she also can't have kids.  Why do fucked up movies like that get made? 

To make people feel miserable.

I think.

*shrug*

Re: The Movie Thread - rumsfald - 06-27-2010

(06-27-2010, 12:18 PM)allondra link Wrote: Watched a movie where two people fall in love and it turns out they are both dying of cancer.  And the girl has some kind of ovarian cancer so she also can't have kids.  Why do fucked up movies like that get made? 

Because it probably is very meaningful to some people with similar life experiences. The first time I saw Lost in Translation, like 3 years ago, I thought it was the dumbest most bland movie. I couldn't understand how the characters could be so stupid. Then I went through some life events, grew in different ways, and can appreciate it more.

Re: The Movie Thread - Black Aspen - 06-27-2010

(06-26-2010, 11:56 PM)Duck link Wrote: idk, I think a lot of it just comes from actually growing up with the movies. I had a buzz lightyear and woody when i was a kid. you were what, 3 or 4 years old when the original came out karth? And sure, Up tickled a heartstring or two in the opening, but the rest of the film was pretty light-hearted shenanigans after. Toy Story started off with some incredibly depressing imagery from the get go and was a roller-coaster from there on out. How deep Toy Story hits you depends entirely on how familiar you are with the emotions the toys are going through, struggling with abandonment, betrayal, jealousy, sacrifice, and a plethora of other nasty feelings. And honestly, Andy's last scene with the toys is - a bit embarassingly - going to be one that I never forget. Powerful doesn't have to mean depressing Karth, if you're gonna go into film you'd do well to remember that.

I liked the jokes about farts
[Image: laughing%20bonky%20head%20small.JPG]

Re: The Movie Thread - KorJax - 06-27-2010

We're having a 20th Century Boy's movie marathon at our house today. I'll only be able to make it through the first 1.5 movies (out of 3) before I go to work since they are 3 fucking hours long.

But still pretty interesting  ;D

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 06-27-2010

Goldfinger

Hehe, Pussy Galore.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-01-2010

Saw the original "Producers" tonight. Was good.

♪Spring-time, for Hit-ler♫

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-02-2010

Wow, The Last Airbender was pretty bad.

Shame too. It had some gorgeous cinematography and some nice special effects, but the dialogue was laughably bad and the choreography was equivalent to that of Power Rangers. The first two acts are passed by so fast that they might as well not have even been there.

Stay away from it unless you absolutely need to see it.

Re: The Movie Thread - beep beep diglett - 07-02-2010

my 12 step requires me to see atleast 1 movie a week and ive seen all the others Sad