Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - HeK - 07-12-2010

(07-11-2010, 11:11 PM)Turtle link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=947.msg163375#msg163375 date=1278902514]
Saw Hot-tub Time-machine last night, it was surprisingly entertaining.
A definite must rent.
I saw it today

:o
[/quote]

It is far more entertaining if you actually lived in the 80s.

Re: The Movie Thread - CaffeinePowered - 07-12-2010

Rewatched District 9 last night....and something occurred to me, shouldn't there have been a bunch of scientists and possibly other contract workers on the mothership when it took off

Re: The Movie Thread - Professor Funbucks - 07-12-2010

(07-12-2010, 05:46 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Rewatched District 9 last night....and something occurred to me, shouldn't there have been a bunch of scientists and possibly other contract workers on the mothership when it took off

Clerks Clip - Jedi Politics

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-12-2010

Rio Bravo was really good, way better than the Searchers.

Re: The Movie Thread - Squishy3 - 07-12-2010

(07-12-2010, 05:46 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Rewatched District 9 last night....and something occurred to me, shouldn't there have been a bunch of scientists and possibly other contract workers on the mothership when it took off
I believe since most of the intelligent prawns died on the ship from malnutrition from being left in there there was nobody left other than Christopher, and it took him 10 years for him to be able to even get back to the ship and take off. Obviously they're going to be a bit better off since Wikus is left behind and is probably more intelligent than most of the other prawns, unless he isn't in District 10 and is hiding somewhere else.

Re: The Movie Thread - Turtle - 07-12-2010

(07-12-2010, 06:34 PM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=947.msg163503#msg163503 date=1278974768]
Rewatched District 9 last night....and something occurred to me, shouldn't there have been a bunch of scientists and possibly other contract workers on the mothership when it took off
I believe since most of the intelligent prawns died on the ship from malnutrition from being left in there there was nobody left other than Christopher, and it took him 10 years for him to be able to even get back to the ship and take off. Obviously they're going to be a bit better off since Wikus is left behind and is probably more intelligent than most of the other prawns, unless he isn't in District 10 and is hiding somewhere else.
[/quote]
God damnit guys now i need to go rewatch district 9

Re: The Movie Thread - Odin - 07-14-2010

Saw 'Predators' today, wasn't too bad.

Re: The Movie Thread - Vongore - 07-14-2010

(07-12-2010, 05:18 PM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=Turtle link=topic=947.msg163383#msg163383 date=1278907916]
[quote author=HeK link=topic=947.msg163375#msg163375 date=1278902514]
A definite must rent.
I saw it today

[/quote]

[/quote]

The trailer got me interested, the first 30 minutes were like "ooh i remember that" and had some funny moments.. After that all went to hell and the movie started to turn slowly into one of these drug-based gag movies. Didn't wanted to finish watching it, so i don't know if there's some twist or something like that

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 07-14-2010

(07-12-2010, 05:18 PM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=Turtle link=topic=947.msg163383#msg163383 date=1278907916]
[quote author=HeK link=topic=947.msg163375#msg163375 date=1278902514]
A definite must rent.
I saw it today

[/quote]

[/quote]

if youve at least watched more than your fair share of john cusack films that works as well Smile

Predators was not bad, but with a cast like that there was really no way it could match the original. The charisma of the cast just wasn't there, and really, there's no way any cast can match the charisma of the original's meat-headed muscle-bound cast, save for the cast of the upcoming soon to be number-one-movie-in-the-universe, The Expendables. I do blame Rodriguez for ruining a good thing though. At the start of the film, when things were still moving along at a slow pace thanks to exploration on an unknown planet, the suspense reminded me of the first Alien film, when the colonists and later the science team were exploring, completely lost and utterly bewildered with what was happening on a foreign planet. Instead Rodriguez waved his hands a little bit, and within 5 minutes the entire plot of the film is revealed to the cast a la Dr Jennings in Howard the Duck:

Howard the Duck - Dr. Jenning Special

Furthermore, the whole idea behind the Predators gathering the baddest and the best from across the globe's elite fighting forces was quite frankly, retarded. Well, the idea wasn't retarded, but the implementation was a monumental fuckup, to go down forever in history as one of the biggest monumental fuckups in action movie history. While having the FBI's #1 most wanted run around with nothing but a prison shank in a jungle full of alien hunters was kind of funny for the one of 2 jokes they through in, for the most part I was just angry and frustrated with the writers for penning in the most stereotypical characters possible from any and every popular militant group they could think of. I mean, really? Did they really think it would add to the movie if they wrote in a quiet asian guy with a deagle and a sword and called him yakuza? How the fuck is he even supposed to compare to Heavy Weapons Guy from Russia by measures of shear badass? And yet, he did. Somehow an asian with a pistol and a sword managed to do more killing than a fucking Russian with a minigun, grenades, and seemingly unlimited ammunition. At least the Russian befriended the Medic and had a daughter named Sasha....

I mean, don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't bad. But I think they made a lot of writing decisions based solely on how much they would dissociate this film from its predecessors (which Rodriguez even said he was going for in many interviews), logic and common sense be damned. I can appreciate that they didn't want to rehash a classic; I can even appreciate the fact that maybe Rodriguez felt he couldn't do the sequel justice and tried to break from it entirely. But in the end, he did neither very well. We still had a group of alleged badasses in the jungle, and they still ran around blowing shit to smithereens, generally not taking names on account of apparently none of them has ever passed a course in marksmanship. I really wanted to love this movie, and after hearing interviews where Rodriguez said he wanted to do something completely different from the first film, I was ready to watch it with a completely open mind. But when I finally sat down and watched the movie, by and large it was a rehash of the original, except with a really shitty script. I mean fuck, AVP was bad, but I still loved it because it was something different and yet still badass, even if the script completely sucked.

Also, I got into a free screening of The Sorceror's Apprentice last night, and it was a lot better than I expected given Cage's more recent films, which include gems like Ghost Rider, Wicker Man, and Bangkok Dangerous

Re: The Movie Thread - Professor Funbucks - 07-14-2010

(07-14-2010, 03:11 PM)Duck link Wrote: Bangkok Dangerous
lol
also, that kind of writing would be great for some site content.....

(07-14-2010, 03:15 PM)Funbucks link Wrote: [quote author=Duck link=topic=947.msg163790#msg163790 date=1279138280]
Bangkok Dangerous
lol
[/quote]

I don't find enough things interesting enough to write regularly, and even then this will probably only hold my attention for a good 20-30 minutes. :\

Re: The Movie Thread - Professor Funbucks - 07-14-2010

(07-14-2010, 03:25 PM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=Funbucks link=topic=947.msg163791#msg163791 date=1279138532]
[quote author=Duck link=topic=947.msg163790#msg163790 date=1279138280]
Bangkok Dangerous
lol
[/quote]

I don't find enough things interesting enough to write regularly, and even then this will probably only hold my attention for a good 20-30 minutes. :\
[/quote]
I'd say that 3 paragraphs you wrote were good enough but that's just me, what do I know?

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 07-14-2010

(07-14-2010, 03:25 PM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=Funbucks link=topic=947.msg163791#msg163791 date=1279138532]
[quote author=Duck link=topic=947.msg163790#msg163790 date=1279138280]
Bangkok Dangerous
lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

We are more than willing to take single submissions and push them to FP. I agree with Funbucks on this, it's p good. We need to work out the kinks in the frontpaging process first though.

Re: The Movie Thread - KorJax - 07-14-2010

Just watched the rifftrax of "The Room" with a few friends tonight. Fucking brilliant

Re: The Movie Thread - Spore - 07-15-2010

(07-14-2010, 11:45 PM)KorJax link Wrote: Just watched the rifftrax of "The Room" with a few friends tonight. Fucking brilliant

Jesus. Yes, yes it was.

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 07-15-2010

I just watched a vampire romance short film.

Starring Elijah Wood.

AND I LOVED IT.

PARIS JE T'AIME - QUARTIER DE LA MADELEINE

From the indie collaborative film "Paris Je T'aime", or in english, Paris, I love you. It's 15 or so short films put together by various directors, including the Coen brothers. If I've learned one thing from this movie, it's that French people are huuuuuuuuge dicks.

Re: The Movie Thread - Duck, Duck, Goose - 07-15-2010

Black Dynamite is the best movie ever conceived by mankind.

At least when you're high.

Re: The Movie Thread - Vlambo - 07-15-2010

(07-15-2010, 02:32 PM)Karth link Wrote: I just watched a vampire romance short film.

Starring Elijah Wood.

AND I LOVED IT.

Oh great BRBu got another gay

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 07-15-2010

(07-15-2010, 06:45 PM)Vlambo link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=947.msg163986#msg163986 date=1279222326]
I just watched a vampire romance short film.

Starring Elijah Wood.

AND I LOVED IT.

Oh great BRBu got another gay
[/quote]

this