Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Movie Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Movie Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8049)

Re: The Movie Thread - Mission Difficult - 08-15-2010

(08-15-2010, 02:37 AM)Duck link Wrote: lol, fucking Carl Weathers
[Image: 112-carl-bone-sm.jpg]
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going!"
"Let me tell you a little story about acting. I was doing this Showtime movie—Hot Ice with Anne Archer—never once touched my per diem. I’d go to Craft Service, get some raw veggies, bacon, Cup-A-Soup— baby, I got a stew going. "

Re: The Movie Thread - Maxon - 08-15-2010

Anyone that thought Expendables was gonna be anything more than a throwback to the action movies of the past, should probably be slapped across the mouth.  The writing isn't bad, but neither is it great.  It works reasonably well enough that it keeps the plot moving, gets you where you need to go, and isn't trying to throw in twists or other nonsense that a movie of this style doesn't need.

It has some great action stars (Except for Randy Couture, who easily gave the worst performance of the movie acting wise, though thankfully he only has one big scene where needs to speak) and some pretty crazy action that is familiar to that of what Stallone did in Rambo.  It's done at a different pacing, but man is it awesome when people are losing limbs or exploding or getting blown in half, even if it is digitally done, which could've been better.

I find it sad that critics, such as the ones pointed out in Angry Joe's review of the movie, gave it a negative review, because it was an 80's/90's throwback with tons of action in it.  I'm glad that we have movies like this.  Not everything needs to be...Inception...Or The Matrix with layers and crazy plots and super involving characters.

Sometimes you just want to see people get shot and see shit blow up.

And there really needs to be a sequel.  Get a few other greats like Kurt Russell, Van Damme (Who was turned down I think for money reasons), and I almost want to say like Steven Seagal, but that's iffy, though I'd take him over Randy Couture lol

Re: The Movie Thread - Surf314 - 08-15-2010

Scott Pilgrim was amazing but it was the comic book movie like no other movie has been. So you have to go in and just let all the weird shit wash over you. Truly the most original editing and cinematography I have seen in a long time. You either love it or you hate it.

Re: The Movie Thread - KorJax - 08-15-2010

Loving how on metacritic it's getting pretty much universal acclaim from the user reviews but the critic reviews are plenty of "meh". Probably because they are too stuck up and old to enjoy the kind of movie Scott Pilgrim is I suspect (even though I've personally not seen it yet).

Re: The Movie Thread - Turtle - 08-15-2010

saw scott pilgrim

it was pretty good

Re: The Movie Thread - Live-Free-Or-Pie - 08-15-2010

Scott Pilgrim exceeded my expectations. Unique and EPIC to boot. Too bad it probably won't be a financial success.

I am definitely buying the DVD

Re: The Movie Thread - Sponson - 08-15-2010

(08-15-2010, 08:34 PM)Live-Free-Or-Pie link Wrote: Scott Pilgrim exceeded my expectations. Unique and EPIC to boot. Too bad it probably won't be a financial success.

I am definitely buying the DVD

Lets see, going into the movie with the expectations that a million hipsters will be there, I wasn't disappointed.
It was random and funny, but at some points it was over-the-top, like, unacceptably so. For example, the first ex-fight, the dude jumps in and gets punched in the face - that was awesome.
When Scott jumps 30 ft to punch the lights out him, not so much.

The humor though deserved praise because of all the sandler, stiller, and murphy comedy out there, which by now are a dime a dozen. But it didn't lend itself well because I doubt a second viewing would be as powerful as the first once you get past all the gimmicks. Like the Seinfeld reference.

All in all, a B movie imo, not for everyone thats for sure. But I have low expectations for movies so it mighta been a C or something.

---
On another note,
[Image: layton.jpg]
This guy here, Professor Layton and his move P. Layton and the Eternal Diva was also a pretty solid movie, it was fun and enjoyable even though there were times where I questioned the plot/execution. I also got rather emotional at the end too because the underlying concept was sad :'(

Re: The Movie Thread - KarthXLR - 08-15-2010

The Maltese Falcon was alright.

Re: The Movie Thread - Dtrain323i - 08-15-2010

The Expendables is a must see. Just don't go into it expecting high brow entertainment.

Re: The Movie Thread - Chief - 08-16-2010

Scott Pilgrim was amazing. I thought the effects totally made that movie as well as every subtle little easter egg/references. Loved it.

Re: The Movie Thread - Black Aspen - 08-16-2010

Hubble was a bit of a let down.  45mins?  Pfffft.  Also, finally saw The Invention of Lying.  Boring let down.

Re: The Movie Thread - Vandamguy - 08-16-2010

(08-16-2010, 01:01 AM)Black Aspen link Wrote: Hubble was a bit of a let down.  45mins?  Pfffft.  Also, finally saw The Invention of Lying.  Boring let down.
I read the review on IMDB after you said it was local, and lost my enthusiasm to see it. I didn't want to rain on your parade though so I didn't warn you.
Secondly , fell asleep to Invention of lying when it was new. agreed boring.

(08-16-2010, 09:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=Black Aspen link=topic=947.msg169464#msg169464 date=1281938478]
Hubble was a bit of a let down.  45mins?  Pfffft.  Also, finally saw The Invention of Lying.  Boring let down.
I read the review on IMDB after you said it was local, and lost my enthusiasm to see it. I didn't want to rain on your parade though so I didn't warn you.
Secondly , fell asleep to Invention of lying when it was new. agreed boring.
[/quote]

That's alright.  It was still an okay watch (Hubble), but not worth the trek to the Ontario Fucking Science Centre.  Took longer to travel there one way than to see the movie itself.
I was on the verge of sleep twice during The Invention of Lying, so I hear you there.

Re: The Movie Thread - Ianki - 08-16-2010

i loved the invention of lying upto the romantic third act.

(08-16-2010, 12:35 PM)Ianki link Wrote: i loved the invention of lying upto the romantic third act.

Great concept, poor execution.  I think they blitzed the great idea too much upfront, which made it sort of annoying by the end.  If they were a bit more subtle or spread it out a bit, I think it would have been much stronger.  It had it's moments (the religion part is great), but there are some serious moments of sag in there.

Re: The Movie Thread - KorJax - 08-16-2010

I thought the invention of lying was kinda forced too

Re: The Movie Thread - copulatingduck - 08-16-2010

you guys are making me have 2nd thoughts about giving that a watch. is it still worth it?

(08-16-2010, 08:23 PM)Duck link Wrote: you guys are making me have 2nd thoughts about giving that a watch. is it still worth it?

If it's free and you've got the time...

Re: The Movie Thread - shoopfox - 08-17-2010

(08-15-2010, 10:02 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: The Expendables is a must see. Just don't go into it expecting high brow entertainment.

Steve Austin straight up punches some chick in the face so it's almost worth it just for that

Re: The Movie Thread - Radio Raheem - 08-17-2010

dude stone cold is the man

[Image: wwe-stonecold-extended.jpg&t=1]