Hello There, Guest! Register

question for _________
Kor
Crits = Skill

04-09-2014, 05:04 PM

(04-09-2014, 02:14 PM)Karth link Wrote: Does anyone here believe the "Check Your Privilege" thing that's been going around?

It seems to me the line of thinking that implies people are pre-installed with things that make them better than others is the same logic racists use.  

I don't buy into the hype behind it, but I'd consider it as a statement on entitlement. There's undoubtedly a generation or two that lack enough world-sense to recognize that one still needs a work ethic to achieve.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-09-2014, 05:35 PM

(04-09-2014, 05:04 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=5854.msg277562#msg277562 date=1397070883]
Does anyone here believe the "Check Your Privilege" thing that's been going around?

It seems to me the line of thinking that implies people are pre-installed with things that make them better than others is the same logic racists use.  

I don't buy into the hype behind it, but I'd consider it as a statement on entitlement. There's undoubtedly a generation or two that lack enough world-sense to recognize that one still needs a work ethic to achieve.
[/quote]

Which is ironic because at the same time I think the ability of each successive generation to get ahead is getting more difficult.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Elder
BRB, Posting

04-09-2014, 09:26 PM

(04-09-2014, 05:04 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=5854.msg277562#msg277562 date=1397070883]
Does anyone here believe the "Check Your Privilege" thing that's been going around?

[/quote]

it seems like a way to deflate others self worth by inflating your own.
I dont need to acknowledge or accept someone because they feel entitled. They need to earn it from me personally, and i need to do the same for others. Thats how i feel.

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
rumbot
BRB, Posting

04-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

04-10-2014, 09:43 PM

The reason I asked is because my campus is very open to LGBT group and some of them come off as very over-reactive or whiny. I saw some of the posters and whenever I ask people why they would need something like that here, they come off as very defensive or occasionally delusional.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Until you learn all of the advantages over certain others that are lumped on you by society without you having to do jack shit, you don't even know what your privileges are, so you can't check them. It's not so much that you've got shit pre-installed as society as a whole treats certain people in ways that are unknowingly advantageous to them.

A lot of the tumblr activism about privilege does come off as whiny, but a lot more of it has a pretty firm grounding in observed truth.

Doubt me? Find someone complaining about 'check your privilege' who isn't a white middle class male, and I'll fly to your house and hand you a cookie.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Elder
BRB, Posting

04-11-2014, 01:24 PM

(04-11-2014, 10:37 AM)at0m link Wrote: I'll fly to your house and hand you a cookie.

I'd rather you not know where i live

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

04-11-2014, 01:35 PM

(04-10-2014, 09:43 PM)Karth link Wrote: The reason I asked is because my campus is very open to LGBT group and some of them come off as very over-reactive or whiny. I saw some of the posters and whenever I ask people why they would need something like that here, they come off as very defensive or occasionally delusional.

It's not just you, but be careful.
Surf314

04-11-2014, 02:01 PM

http://youtu.be/sLg5POTvVzs

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

04-11-2014, 02:03 PM

(04-11-2014, 01:35 PM)Eightball link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=5854.msg277607#msg277607 date=1397184193]
The reason I asked is because my campus is very open to LGBT group and some of them come off as very over-reactive or whiny. I saw some of the posters and whenever I ask people why they would need something like that here, they come off as very defensive or occasionally delusional.

[/quote]

A long time gaming friend of mine (caff knows them too), almost took their own life prior to coming out as trans due to the stigma it would cary in her life and didn't want anyone to know. This only happened because of the area in which they lived basically just won't accept people like that at all. It was causing alcoholism, depression, and all kinds of other health issues. Now that she's started embracing the person she really is (despite the struggles), she's much better off, and knows she has a lot of people who support her.

This is not a new story, this story has happened in the lives of numerous LGBT and other types of groups, it has happened in race wars (and still does), there is a stigma in the society that makes it difficult for these people to live lives that ultimately make them happy.

These stories, the ones who experience them, are the ones who deserve to be defensive in their position. But if they live in a community in which embraces them as they are, I would agree with that entitlement is an issue.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
KarthXLR

04-11-2014, 02:08 PM

(04-11-2014, 02:03 PM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=5854.msg277623#msg277623 date=1397241342]
[quote author=Karth link=topic=5854.msg277607#msg277607 date=1397184193]

[/quote]

A long time gaming friend of mine (caff knows them too), almost took their own life prior to coming out as trans due to the stigma it would cary in her life and didn't want anyone to know. This only happened because of the area in which they lived basically just won't accept people like that at all. It was causing alcoholism, depression, and all kinds of other health issues. Now that she's started embracing the person she really is (despite the struggles), she's much better off, and knows she has a lot of people who support her.

This is not a new story, this story has happened in the lives of numerous LGBT and other types of groups, it has happened in race wars (and still does), there is a stigma in the society that makes it difficult for these people to live lives that ultimately make them happy.

These stories, the ones who experience them, are the ones who deserve to be defensive in their position. But if they live in a community in which embraces them as they are, I would agree with that entitlement is an issue.

[/quote]

This is where my issue comes in. This is the last campus to have ANYTHING negative to say about any LGBT groups, so seeing them complain about privilege comes off as delusional.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-11-2014, 02:25 PM

If you're talking about Kira, I also know her.

Chooly
BRB, Posting

04-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Am I just misunderstanding the usage here?
To me, it seems like a catch-all way to end an argument, like a trump card.
It seems like it's a message to Group A to leave Group B to their own devices if Group A isn't willing to appreciate Group B's particular circumstances.
But please, let me know.

EDIT :: Just to add, it's really hard to find a source that isn't either patronizing, satirical, or damning of this.. So if anyone has a link for me I'd appreciate it..

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

04-11-2014, 09:02 PM

(04-11-2014, 02:25 PM)at0m link Wrote: If you're talking about Kira, I also know her.

I did not know you knew her... But she's been open about the whole situation even blogging about it.

http://kirapaige144.wordpress.com

Sent from my subdermal neurological implant.

kirapmc
N00b

04-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Yes, I found this.

To all of those talking about priveledge and people being whiny...

You have not walked in another persons shoes. You may not understand their journey. Just as people turn to these forums to whine and bitch and moan about a game, or other people, some of us use tumbler(not myself) as a platform.

Yes, I am the trans person these guys speak about. Even with my former gaming community, I feel pretty awkward. I remember lots of things from my years spent with them that made me feel horrible.

I am over that, I have reached out to those I care about. I was a very dedicated gamer. Even that is distant now. Not because I am truthful in being a woman, but because of the hostility. I live with it everyday, at work, with my ex, etc.

I do not game anymore because of those hostilities surfacing in the gaming world. I want an escape. And maybe a little respect. I dont have that anymore.

Just because you think you know something, and something seems whiny, or bitchy.... step back. Imagine life for that person.

If i sound bitchy, well here is a few truths.... i have been raped  twice in the last year, physically assualted twice, almost lost my iob, loosing my house, lost my partner of 14 years, constantly humiliated and intimidated by coworkers, and former coworkers. And despite the fact i said last january was my last suicide attempt. It was not. I have been close twice more. And once again tonight, I sit on that fence.

So stop judging, maybe just say nothing, or just throw out a kind word. You never know how that can change a persons day, or maybe life.
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

04-12-2014, 09:47 PM

(04-12-2014, 07:08 PM)kirapmc link Wrote: Yes, I found this.

You have not walked in another persons shoes. You may not understand their journey. Just as people turn to these forums to whine and bitch and moan about a game, or other people, some of us use tumbler(not myself) as a platform.

Yes, I am the trans person these guys speak about. Even with my former gaming community, I feel pretty awkward. I remember lots of things from my years spent with them that made me feel horrible.

I am over that, I have reached out to those I care about. I was a very dedicated gamer. Even that is distant now. Not because I am truthful in being a woman, but because of the hostility. I live with it everyday, at work, with my ex, etc.

I do not game anymore because of those hostilities surfacing in the gaming world. I want an escape. And maybe a little respect. I dont have that anymore.

Just because you think you know something, and something seems whiny, or bitchy.... step back. Imagine life for that person.

If i sound bitchy, well here is a few truths.... i have been raped  twice in the last year, physically assualted twice, almost lost my iob, loosing my house, lost my partner of 14 years, constantly humiliated and intimidated by coworkers, and former coworkers. And despite the fact i said last january was my last suicide attempt. It was not. I have been close twice more. And once again tonight, I sit on that fence.

So stop judging, maybe just say nothing, or just throw out a kind word. You never know how that can change a persons day, or maybe life.

You know we care about, and support you... I mean I sure do.

Surf314

04-13-2014, 03:30 PM

(04-12-2014, 07:08 PM)kirapmc link Wrote: Yes, I found this.

Just some context - I think the conversation has more to do with people who are normally supportive being written off because they are white/straight/male. Maybe we just misunderstand something or don't get it - but we still want to be able to participate in conversations and be educated about things. I've always tried to be supportive of people and non-judgmental. This is mostly because even though I grew up upper-middle class, white, male and straight I still had a shitty childhood and went through some very tough times. I know what it's like to feel like you are outside society looking in - maybe not to the extent you do but I have some frame of reference. I've still said something to a bi-sexual friend that really upset her and I didn't get why. Later when she realized I wasn't trying to be a jerk she was able to explain to me why it was offensive. If she didn't take the time to explain it to me I still would have no idea and probably upset someone again.

That being said myself and I think the majority of the community would just want to take you for who you are and treat you like a person - not some stupid label.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-13-2014, 05:12 PM

\o/ for calm discussion, and I'd have more to add were I not on mobile.
Also, Kira, we need to hang out again sometime so I can get some more of that wicked good bbq, I still dream about those homemade ribs from time to time.

Two things that should also help: http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explai...ite-person and (will replace with a link to something I read that explains the 'I hate men/whitey/cis' thing that I read once but cannot now find)

KarthXLR

04-13-2014, 05:20 PM

(04-13-2014, 05:12 PM)at0m link Wrote: \o/ for calm discussion, and I'd have more to add were I not on mobile.

I love that it's been this way. Seems whenever I try to talk about this in person things get really heated, so I mostly just keep it to myself.
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

04-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Question for everyone:

Where on earth do I buy comics online for a reasonable price?

Recently I found my old shoebox of comics, and am starting to get back into my Rogue Squadron series. While chilling out with our friend RobG today, he told me the comic place was having a 50% off sale, so we went...

$42 later, I have about doubled my collection. But I'm still missing quite a few issues. I've tapped out my local source so far as I know, and I'm looking to get the rest online piece by piece, but I have no idea where to start. A brief e-bay search was disheartening... $0.99, plus $20 shipping PER COMIC is unacceptable.

Thoughts?