Hello There, Guest! Register

Dwarf Fortress
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

07-30-2009, 02:22 PM

1st Granite, 228

[Image: beginning.jpg]

After a year under the command of TheAnyKey the time has come for a new leader.  The population is unsatisfied, as the previous leader spent all his time working on a frivolous system to turn salt water into fresh.  Ridiculous!  No dwarf should be drinking water.  Still, I wanted to make this revolution bloodless, so I appointed TheAnyKey Captain of the Guard and finished walling off his pump system, at least so that no puppies would be trapped inside.  Now the true business of creating a powerful fortress can begin.  I still don't know why TheAnyKey chose this location.  There's not a mountain for hundreds of miles.  But as my grandpa once said, "If you don't got a mountain, build one!"  Grandpa always was a little crazy.  I've assigned the architect to begin a series of defensive walls, and told the miners to begin certain "improvements" to the fortress.  I'll be updating the fortress records, sadly neglected during my predecessors' reign, while pursuing my hobby of making crafts on the side.  Hopefully this year we'll be successful enough to attract some immigrants.

2nd Granite, 228

[Image: 2dumbarchitect.jpg]

The second day in and disaster has already struck.  Our architect managed to wall himself inside the pump system.  I'm tempted to activate it to teach him a lesson.  Excavation efforts are proceeding slowly.

15th Granite, 228

Morale is low.  There is nowhere to sleep or to eat.  My predecessor didn't believe in "comforts."  Well that has to change.   I've ordered a dining hall and a barracks constructed, with private bedrooms on the way.   I've also created a private office and bed chamber for myself.  My theory is that if my servants fellow citizens see what luxury is, then they will be inspired to work harder to eventually achieve it.

16th Granite, 228

A caravan of elves arrived today.  Filthy hippy scum.  We traded some of my lower quality crafts for seeds, a cage, some barrels, and some musical instruments.  While we traded with them, a kobold snuck in and stole a steel battle axe.  I reprimanded the Captain of the Guard for his lax security measures. 

7th Slate, 228

Uneventful until today.  The miners were working on my future tomb when they encountered damp stone and some flooding.  I am highly displeased.  The project will go on, but will have to be relocated.  Decorations are proceeding on schedule for my tomb, but there is a distinct lack of precious metals/gems as well as master engravers.  I fear the tomb will have to wait several years until full completion.

[Image: 3tombtroubles.jpg]

21st Slate, 228

The little flooding problem has become a big flooding problem.  All dwarves are working to build walls to hold off the floodwaters, with little success.

[Image: 4fuckflooding.jpg]

3rd Felsite, 228

It just keeps getting worse and worse.  One miner managed to finish walling off the crafting areas, before collapsing from exhaustion.  The others are working to evacuate everything else on the lower floors.  I've decided to abandon the lower levels. 

[Image: 5shitflooding.jpg]

13th Felsite, 228

Immigrants arrived today.  Most of them had useless occupations.  I'm assigning most of them to rebuild the fortress.  I had to wall off the food supplies so they wouldn't be flooded, and now most of us are dehydrated.  I've promised double beer ration to the miner to dig a new passage, but no luck yet.

7th Hematite, 228

The evacuation of the lower levels succeeded without any casualties.  The purifier is completely flooded, however.  Someone's gonna need to do some serious pumping to fix that.  The new immigrants all have jobs.  Our only problem now is that we're out of wood and refined coal.  The kobold that stole the axe earlier destroyed our ability to chop down more trees.  We'll have to depend on the caravan for a new one.

9th Malachite, 228

More migrants have arrived.  The fortress has stabilized, so we can handle them now.  My tomb is built, but more metals and gems are required to make it proper.  Our army has recently expanded to include several peasant migrants.  One of them was knocked unconscious in a fight and has not woken up in weeks.  He needs water, but there is no fresh water on the whole map.  I fear our mistakes with the purifier may have doomed him.

25th Malachite, 228

A tragedy has struck.  One of the miners was trapped by the flood waters at the far end of the sunken fortress.  He was dwarf enough to survive there for weeks, but today he finally starved to death.  Also, our weaponsmith has been taken by a fey mood.

10th Galena, 228

The weaponsmith is demanding metal bars and tanned hides, so I have ordered some animals slaughtered.  The lack of fresh water is becoming serious.  Two recruits have gotten injured during sparring, and died of dehydration.  I look forward to the day when we can bring in an experienced mechanic to fix the purifier.

13th Galena, 228

Good news at last.  One of the recruits has become a legendary champion, from just sparring with the other dwarves.  I hope to have armor and weapons made for the troops once the weaponsmith is done with his fey mood.

27th Galena, 228

The weaponsmith is finally finished.  He has created Duradshelret, an iron longsword. It is studded with iron and decorated with mule leather.  This object menaces with spikes of iron.  On the item is an image of Eral Northfountains the dwarf and dwarves in iron.  Eral Northfountains is surrounded by the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Eral Northfountains to leadership of the Most Staff in 157.

14th Limestone, 228

Another recruit has become a champion.  Odd, but I'm not complaining.  Also the dwarven caravan just arrived today.

28th Limestone, 228

Finished trading with the dwarves.  Bought metal bars, gems, booze, and cloth in exchange for dozens of shitty crafts and some crossbows.  Hopefully next time they come we'll have even better stuff for em.  Also now we have four champions, including TheAnyKey.

Here's what they want next year:
[Image: 6TRADE.jpg]

10th Timber, 228

Bad news today.  TheAnyKey was badly injured in a sparring match and suffocated.  A tomb will have to be dug.

1st Granite, 229

My replacement arrived today.  I will be happy to officially give him the rulership of this fortress, while still controlling the fortress in reality.  Hopefully he knows how to make a proper water purifier.  I experimented with creating one of my own, but I don't believe it worked.  Also, right before I left office one of the craftsdwarves was taken by a strange mood.  Luckily we had all the supplies he needed on hand. 

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM by Eschatos.)
Chaosye
Lurker

07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

:3
I is bad leader
Big Grin

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-30-2009, 03:40 PM

you have me in trested, how do i learn to play this?

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-30-2009, 03:42 PM

(07-30-2009, 03:40 PM)Dave link Wrote: you have me in trested, how do i learn to play this?
There's like a 100 page how-to book.  It's seriously that complicated.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-30-2009, 04:52 PM

k not reading that, gonna fuck up some dwarves.

ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

07-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Oh my... looks like our oceanside retreat is becoming more ocean and less retreat...

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Chaosye
Lurker

07-30-2009, 06:29 PM

You're kinda not supposed to dig into damp walls
:C

(If we fail we can pick a new location, maybe someplace less advanced.)

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

07-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Or just teach Eschatos to not mine damp walls :V

Also I'll take over at some point, put me on the list. MY PICK WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS. Also, whoever takes overseer and KNOWS how to...give us stats on our doofs.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Chaosye
Lurker

07-31-2009, 03:09 AM

I died?
I thought I was gonna go out beating the fuck out of a dragon.

So, who's next?
From the list, i believe it is Zargon's turn.

Eschatos

07-31-2009, 09:12 AM

(07-31-2009, 03:09 AM)TheAnyKey link Wrote: I died?

So, who's next?

You died of a neck wound inflicted by one of the champions wielding the epic iron longsword.  It was pretty awesome.  Also there weren't any tombs other than mine finished at the time so we had to dump your corpse in the wilderness.

Here's the next turn.  I uploaded the entire game folder, so unless you wanna use a different tileset you shouldn't need to do anything.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3J0KBEVV

Creepy
N00b

07-31-2009, 11:29 AM

I'm somewhat experienced with Fortress del Dwarfo.  I at least know to take warm/damp stone messages seriously.  I'm admittedly more of an architect and less of a dwarf manager, though.  I haven't done much with crafts, and all I seem to be able to do with squads is get them really mad about being in the field for years, heh.  Maybe I can take pointers from the existing design.

What's the current rotation look like, and how fast are we expected to finish a year and upload the data?
Sponson
BRB, Posting

07-31-2009, 12:05 PM

(07-31-2009, 09:12 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=TheAnyKey link=topic=901.msg102819#msg102819 date=1249027777]
I died?

So, who's next?

You died of a neck wound inflicted by one of the champions wielding the epic iron longsword.  It was pretty awesome.  Also there weren't any tombs other than mine finished at the time so we had to dump your corpse in the wilderness.

Here's the next turn.  I uploaded the entire game folder, so unless you wanna use a different tileset you shouldn't need to do anything.

[/quote]

Eschatos, you are fucking awesome. I laughed so hard reading your little playbyplay

[Image: unled1wl.png]
Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

07-31-2009, 12:21 PM

(07-31-2009, 12:05 PM)Sponson link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=901.msg102834#msg102834 date=1249049567]
[quote author=TheAnyKey link=topic=901.msg102819#msg102819 date=1249027777]
I died?

So, who's next?

[/quote]

Eschatos, you are fucking awesome. I laughed so hard reading your little playbyplay
[/quote]Best part, nothing like honoring your predecessor.
Chaosye
Lurker

07-31-2009, 02:58 PM

Eschatos

07-31-2009, 04:58 PM

(07-31-2009, 12:21 PM)Greatbacon link Wrote: [quote author=Sponson link=topic=901.msg102874#msg102874 date=1249059946]
[quote author=Eschatos link=topic=901.msg102834#msg102834 date=1249049567]
I died?

So, who's next?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I want to make it clear that I had no part in his death.  I was updating fortress records at the time, in my office, with a locked door. Also if anyone decides to fuck with my dwarves personal office/bedroom/dining room/tomb take note that he has acquired amazing stats from his clerking duties.  I once had a clerk go berserk and kill every other dwarf he saw in the entire fortress, despite losing his legs, an arm, and several vital organs.  Even the military was annihilated.  Also I think the purifier I made can be made to work if two walls are added on the left and right of the screw pump.  A reservoir would be nice but not critical.

And wow, I've never really had anyone like my writing before.  Maybe I'll create my own fortress and record that.

ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

07-31-2009, 05:10 PM

Ok, got the files... will play soon.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Chaosye
Lurker

07-31-2009, 05:19 PM

(07-31-2009, 04:58 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Greatbacon link=topic=901.msg102887#msg102887 date=1249060896]
[quote author=Sponson link=topic=901.msg102874#msg102874 date=1249059946]
[quote author=Eschatos link=topic=901.msg102834#msg102834 date=1249049567]
I died?

So, who's next?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I want to make it clear that I had no part in his death.  I was updating fortress records at the time, in my office, with a locked door. Also if anyone decides to fuck with my dwarves personal office/bedroom/dining room/tomb take note that he has acquired amazing stats from his clerking duties.  I once had a clerk go berserk and kill every other dwarf he saw in the entire fortress, despite losing his legs, an arm, and several vital organs.  Even the military was annihilated.  Also I think the purifier I made can be made to work if two walls are added on the left and right of the screw pump.  A reservoir would be nice but not critical.

And wow, I've never really had anyone like my writing before.  Maybe I'll create my own fortress and record that.
[/quote]
To make a water purifier you have to make sure that the water does not touch ANY natural walls or floors, or else it instantly goes back to saltwater and you have to wait for all the water you pumped to dry.
That's why i spent a lot of time on the purifier, lots of managing the dwarves to not be stupid.

Eschatos

07-31-2009, 08:42 PM

[Image: 134.png]

Eschatos

07-31-2009, 08:53 PM

[Image: DF_artifact_(2).jpg]

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

07-31-2009, 08:55 PM

I happened to (un)fortunately strike adamantine on the winter of my first year. It's awesome because it the best metal. It's terrible because it's a pain in the ass to process and I heard once you strike adamantine the King comes to your fortress and I am definitely not prepared for hosting a King.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2009, 08:57 PM by Evil Cheese.)