Hello There, Guest! Register

Put Dispenser Here, Please: A guide to Team Fortress 2 Etiquette
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-11-2008, 03:01 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:58 PM)Ianki link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1139.msg29751#msg29751 date=1218483539]
Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

hmmmm.... wrong.  All deserve the medics love if they need it, though all do not deserve the uber.

While we're at it, stop yelling at me when i stop humping your butt to heal someone about to burn to death Big Grin

much love.
[/quote]

Fail, Im not talking about letting others burn to death, after all players are buffed, any medic is going to chose someone to partner with, pick whoever on your team is on fire when it comes to racking up kills.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
bjlsurfer
Lurker

08-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Not necessarily a rule, but keep in mind that Scouts and Spies tend to rely on medpaks more than other classes, A) because they've got little health, and B) because they don't get much lovin from medics- they have to keep mobile/disguised.  So be considerate. 
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

08-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Excellent stuff.

An additional point about leaving ammo packs for Engies: This is especially true during setup.  I can't count how many times I've been on Dustbowl defense, trying to get up a sentry in the first area, and watching as some goofball soldier fires off a few random rockets, then takes the Full Ammo pack.  Guess what, soldier? You just made the difference between a level 2 and level 3 sentry being up on defense.  Congrats.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Squishy3
Closet Furry

08-11-2008, 05:34 PM

If somebody is standing in front of a medic spamming the MEDIC! command there is no reason why you should not heal them. This has gotten me killed many times, and the medic has died too because he refused to heal me so I could kill the people that were coming to kill him.

Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Perhaps communication is better in that instance then squishy, as there are many times I've witnessed people spamming the medic button the second setup begins and every moment thereafter for no discernable reason. Its really annoying, to say the least. If I knew WHY someone was spamming in that instance then I would get to it, but if there didn't seem to be any apparent reason, and ESPECIALLY if I were healing someone else already in worse condition, I would probably not heal you either.
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

(08-11-2008, 04:32 PM)bjlsurfer link Wrote: Not necessarily a rule, but keep in mind that Scouts and Spies tend to rely on medpaks more than other classes, A) because they've got little health, and B) because they don't get much lovin from medics- they have to keep mobile/disguised.  So be considerate. 

I'll add that in to health pack priority Smile

(08-11-2008, 05:34 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: If somebody is standing in front of a medic spamming the MEDIC! command there is no reason why you should not heal them. This has gotten me killed many times, and the medic has died too because he refused to heal me so I could kill the people that were coming to kill him.

I don't see one either, that's bad form on the medics part. I'm talking more about people who keep calling for medic where they're barely hurt, or just looking for a medic buddy, while the medic is busy healing someone far lower on health, or is already paired up with someone else.

Squishy3
Closet Furry

08-11-2008, 06:11 PM

(08-11-2008, 06:07 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: [quote author=bjlsurfer link=topic=1139.msg29800#msg29800 date=1218490371]
Not necessarily a rule, but keep in mind that Scouts and Spies tend to rely on medpaks more than other classes, A) because they've got little health, and B) because they don't get much lovin from medics- they have to keep mobile/disguised.  So be considerate. 

(08-11-2008, 05:34 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: If somebody is standing in front of a medic spamming the MEDIC! command there is no reason why you should not heal them. This has gotten me killed many times, and the medic has died too because he refused to heal me so I could kill the people that were coming to kill him.

I don't see one either, that's bad form on the medics part. I'm talking more about people who keep calling for medic where they're barely hurt, or just looking for a medic buddy, while the medic is busy healing someone far lower on health, or is already paired up with someone else.
[/quote]I would think it would go into proper etiquette for a medic though. And most of the time for me the person they're healing is already buffed to max and they're just waiting for the uber to finish charging and I'm still amused at how many people don't realize that healing wounded people charges the uber faster.

Panda
N00b

08-11-2008, 06:53 PM

People often fail to understand the heavy--medic relationship.  It's actually the heavy who has a more demanding job (albeit it the more fun job).  A heavy medic team is a magnet for everything stabby, snipy, burney, and explodey in this game.

The heavy's responsibilities:
1) Pay attention to what's going on around you, and especially behind you.  You need to kill pyros and spys that are closing in on your German pal.  Save the medic before you save yourself.  You respawn fresh, he loses an uber.

2) Stay near corners.  Heavies that push too far before it's clear are heavies that medics stop healing.  If there's a corner close to where you are stay near it so the medic is safe from fire.

3) Watch for snipers.  If you see a sniper do not walk slowly with your spooled minigun like some kind of retard.  Take out the shotgun, bob and weave, and try to pelt the sniper on your way to cover.

4)Be willing to back up.  If you see too much shit flying your way turn off the death cannon and retreat with your medic while the shotgun is out.

The medic's responsibilities:
1)  Heal the heavy.  He is the focal point of your push.  When there is heavy incoming firepower keep the heal on him so he stay alive providing cover, and killing what's killing your team.  Heal allies when it's not armageddon.

2) Stay aware and keep moving.  Every class in this game is looking to kill you first, or to kill your heavy and then you.  The more you move, the harder it is to get backstabbed/hit by rockets/trapped by a pyro.

3) Know when to kick some ass too.  Is there one scout being a pest around you and your friend?  Get out the needle gun and help kill him.  See one spy coming?  Tell the heavy and get out the ubersaw.  Help out with the killing when it's prudent.

4) Save the ubercharge for a good moment unless you are going to die.  Even if there's no one to ubercharge you can still hit it on yourself and lasso another teammate.

5) Finally know when to bid your heavy farewell.  If he gets too trigger happy, or runs out of bullets, don't keep healing him.  There's plenty of pyros and soliders just wishing you'd be their friend too.

[Image: style2,Panda.png]
Luinbariel

08-11-2008, 10:52 PM

(08-11-2008, 06:11 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: [quote author=Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link=topic=1139.msg29839#msg29839 date=1218496049]
[quote author=bjlsurfer link=topic=1139.msg29800#msg29800 date=1218490371]

[/quote]I would think it would go into proper etiquette for a medic though. And most of the time for me the person they're healing is already buffed to max and they're just waiting for the uber to finish charging and I'm still amused at how many people don't realize that healing wounded people charges the uber faster.
[/quote]

I think I may have misunderstood you somehow, or misread what you posted; in that instance, in ANY instance, I will heal those nearby and calling for me with the least health moving up to the first, often regardless of whether or not they call me. If you are nearby, spamming, and low health you will be healed; if you are nearby, spamming and not low health while no one else is around i will heal you just to get the marker off. If, however, you are nearby, spamming, and someone of lower health is nearby of course they are first, and initially I thought you were asking for the opposite.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

08-11-2008, 11:30 PM

(08-11-2008, 10:52 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy3 link=topic=1139.msg29843#msg29843 date=1218496300]
[quote author=Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link=topic=1139.msg29839#msg29839 date=1218496049]
[quote author=bjlsurfer link=topic=1139.msg29800#msg29800 date=1218490371]

[/quote]

I think I may have misunderstood you somehow, or misread what you posted; in that instance, in ANY instance, I will heal those nearby and calling for me with the least health moving up to the first, often regardless of whether or not they call me. If you are nearby, spamming, and low health you will be healed; if you are nearby, spamming and not low health while no one else is around i will heal you just to get the marker off. If, however, you are nearby, spamming, and someone of lower health is nearby of course they are first, and initially I thought you were asking for the opposite.
[/quote]I'm not talking about you Luin. haven't played with you enough to complain about you yet. Big Grin

Luinbariel

08-11-2008, 11:36 PM

I know; I guess I mis-read again and thought that the conversation was about folks playing medic in general.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-12-2008, 08:55 AM

For Uberees:  Do not charge out into a massive group of enemies just to get a few kills.  If you rush in it is virtually guaranteed you and I will die when the uber is over.  If someone does do that, I abandon them and uber the next closest person.  I'm not going to die for you just so you get an extra kill or two.

timepants
Looks like E.T. in RL.

08-12-2008, 09:10 AM

(08-11-2008, 02:49 PM)Dave link Wrote: DEFAULT uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

1 SENTRY AHEAD uber preference

Demo
Heavy
Pyro
Soldier

more than 1 sentry ahead uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

note: soldier is last on all charts as in one uber a soldier can fire 8-12 rounds

which is easily outhealed by an engi with a dispenser behind him

The class you choose to uber depends on the sentry placement. If the sentry is close enough to reach it as pyro, then you should always go with pyro. The flames destroy buildings quickly and they go through the buildings to kill the engi. If you can't reach the sentry with pyro, go with demo. A few well placed stickies destroy a sentry before the engi can repair it and stickies are hard to remove without the airblast.
ktj
Lurker

08-12-2008, 09:14 AM

(08-11-2008, 02:49 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1139.msg29751#msg29751 date=1218483539]
Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

DEFAULT uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Soldier
Demo

1 SENTRY AHEAD uber preference

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

more than 1 sentry ahead uber preference:

DEMO
DEMO
DEMO
DEMO

note: soldier is last on all charts as in one uber a soldier can fire 8-12 rounds

which is easily outhealed by an engi with a dispenser behind him

MEDIC UBER PROTIP:

You're freaking invinceable, stand infront of the sentry so your buddy can attack the sentry without getting pushed back and having his aim fucked up.

note: not an experienced medic, any changes to preferences are welcome with valid reasons.

[/quote]

Fixed
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-12-2008, 11:08 AM

thanks to the stupidly long reload of demos, they can take oue 2 sentries max in one uber (no crits, spaced out  and using both guns)
a pyro can take out 3 maybe four

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-12-2008, 11:42 AM

(08-12-2008, 11:08 AM)Dave link Wrote: thanks to the stupidly long reload of demos, they can take oue 2 sentries max in one uber (no crits, spaced out  and using both guns)

except he's gonna get blown back by all of the sentries  and there's no way he could destroy three or four unless they're right next to each other, in which case a demo could do the job a lot more safely.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-12-2008, 12:49 PM

(08-12-2008, 11:42 AM)Versus link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=1139.msg30055#msg30055 date=1218557320]
thanks to the stupidly long reload of demos, they can take oue 2 sentries max in one uber (no crits, spaced out  and using both guns)

except he's gonna get blown back by all of the sentries  and there's no way he could destroy three or four unless they're right next to each other, in which case a demo could do the job a lot more safely.
[/quote]

a medic who isnt a retard will run up to the sentry so the pyro can get close

and stand infront of the demo, but dont obscure his view.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-12-2008, 03:01 PM

(08-12-2008, 11:08 AM)Dave link Wrote: thanks to the stupidly long reload of demos, they can take oue 2 sentries max in one uber (no crits, spaced out  and using both guns)

Your a bad demo. I've taken out 4 with stickies, nades, and mah bottle. ;D

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-12-2008, 07:10 PM

(08-12-2008, 12:49 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Versus link=topic=1139.msg30083#msg30083 date=1218559371]
[quote author=Dave link=topic=1139.msg30055#msg30055 date=1218557320]

[/quote]

a medic who isnt a retard will run up to the sentry so the pyro can get close
[/quote]

to four sentries in ten seconds?

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Dave has obviously never actually tried running into a nest of sentries with a pyro.  I have, and in most cases the pushback from so many is just gonna totally fuck you up.  Demo is by far the best choice.  Also Heavy is very low down on the list against sentries, they can't do crap unless they get within pyro range (assuming an engy is there), which is generally far harder for them to do with their speed.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.