Hello There, Guest! Register

Bioshock Infinite
Squishy3
Closet Furry

09-28-2010, 11:24 AM

(09-28-2010, 01:37 AM)PyroZombie link Wrote: I don't know about this. I don't think this will feel right.
Define feeling right. If you mean not like the first game, it's basically going to be the first game on a grander scale. The 10 minute video alone already proves that. It's like all the parts in the beginning of the first Bioshock up to the first Big Daddy encounter where you don't fight him, but he smashes the splicer's head through the wall. Except it has a lot more actual combat from he player this time around.

[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

(09-28-2010, 01:37 AM)PyroZombie link Wrote: I don't know about this. I don't think this will feel right.

It won't feel like a bioshock game perhaps. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Take the System Shock series for example. I loved two to death, so when Bioshock was announced, I was giddy. Then I got the game and realized that nothing really matched up with System shock. But that let me appreciate it as a stand alone game, rather than a continuation of a series I was fond of. Bioshock Infinite I believe will be in the same vein as this.

HULKMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote: Merc link=topic=4900.msg175738#msg175738 date=1285706972]
[quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=4900.msg175675#msg175675 date=1285655870]
I don't know about this. I don't think this will feel right.

It won't feel like a bioshock game perhaps. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Take the System Shock series for example. I loved two to death, so when Bioshock was announced, I was giddy. Then I got the game and realized that nothing really matched up with System shock. But that let me appreciate it as a stand alone game, rather than a continuation of a series I was fond of. Bioshock Infinite I believe will be in the same vein as this.
[/quote]

The one thing that really irked me about Bioshock was the lack of a fear of death, there was no penalty, no consequence. Maybe on easy this would have been fine, but on Normal/Hard you should be given a choice of paying Adam to respawn or loading from the last checkpoint when you die.

Just like how you had to pay for death in SS2

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-28-2010, 05:04 PM

(09-28-2010, 03:57 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=4900.msg175738#msg175738 date=1285706972]

[/quote]

They said they are rethinking death penalties for this game, as in adding some in.

The one thing that really irked me about Bioshock was the lack of a fear of death, there was no penalty, no consequence. Maybe on easy this would have been fine, but on Normal/Hard you should be given a choice of paying Adam to respawn or loading from the last checkpoint when you die.

[/quote]

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

I hated how ammunition was limited in SS2 but the enemies themselves were not. HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON THAT FUCKING SHIP AND HOW MANY CORPSES DO I HAVE TO DISMEMBER TO STOP THEM FROM RESPAWNING GAJOWEHWIOEHTWOB:IWHGRORIjHG

Also, having to melee everything to conserve ammo was really annoying

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-28-2010, 05:55 PM

(09-28-2010, 05:15 PM)at0m link Wrote: I hated how ammunition was limited in SS2 but the enemies themselves were not. HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON THAT FUCKING SHIP AND HOW MANY CORPSES DO I HAVE TO DISMEMBER TO STOP THEM FROM RESPAWNING GAJOWEHWIOEHTWOB:IWHGRORIjHG

Also, having to melee everything to conserve ammo was really annoying

I specialized in melee, so I just giggled as I heard about people complaining how often their gun locked up. Crystal shard thing + Light saber deal for robots= victoly!

Also:
(09-28-2010, 05:04 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=4900.msg175739#msg175739 date=1285707428]
[quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=4900.msg175738#msg175738 date=1285706972]

[/quote]

They said they are rethinking death penalties for this game, as in adding some in.

[/quote]
[/quote]

In the PC version, you can turn off vita-chambers. Although, I gotta be honest, I like how they handled respawns, and worked it into the plot meself.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote: Merc link=topic=4900.msg175769#msg175769 date=1285714502]
In the PC version, you can turn off vita-chambers. Although, I gotta be honest, I like how they handled respawns, and worked it into the plot meself.
Spoiler: Even moreso in the second one.

[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-28-2010, 06:18 PM

(09-28-2010, 06:04 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=[SiN] Merc link=topic=4900.msg175769#msg175769 date=1285714502]
Spoiler: Even moreso in the second one.
[/quote]

Indeed. I gotta ask gents: Which game did you prefer? While on one hand, Bioshock 1 had such a good antagonist in Andrew Ryan, and a solid, fresh plot. Bioshock 2 had more emotional depth at the end, and better weapon/plasmid play. That, and the good ending...  :'(

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Two had a surprisingly good story, but as far as gameplay it was really stale.

I've sort of made up narrative style categories - character driven and environment driven. The first game was definitely environment driven in that the setting drove the story, there wasn't that much effort in fleshing out the characters. Two was more character driven as far as the relationship and whatnot but your character was still too flat. I really like that three seems to be pushing the boundaries in both types of story telling, the setting looks ridiculously well thought out and some real effort is made to create some real character interaction.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM by Surf314.)
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

09-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Now the big question is: Will they stop using a crappy unoptimized version of unreal 2.5 and get a real engine that runs well on the PC?
Squishy3
Closet Furry

09-29-2010, 12:07 AM

(09-28-2010, 06:45 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Two had a surprisingly good story, but as far as gameplay it was really stale.

I've sort of made up narrative style categories - character driven and environment driven. The first game was definitely environment driven in that the setting drove the story, there wasn't that much effort in fleshing out the characters. Two was more character driven as far as the relationship and whatnot but your character was still too flat. I really like that three seems to be pushing the boundaries in both types of story telling, the setting looks ridiculously well thought out and some real effort is made to create some real character interaction.
If its anything like the character interaction between the Prince and Elika in PoP 2k8 I'm sold. Granted I'm already sold, but I'm sold twice, I guess.

[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-29-2010, 12:20 AM

(09-29-2010, 12:07 AM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=4900.msg175780#msg175780 date=1285717505]
Two had a surprisingly good story, but as far as gameplay it was really stale.

If its anything like the character interaction between the Prince and Elika in PoP 2k8 I'm sold. Granted I'm already sold, but I'm sold twice, I guess.
[/quote]

I just hope it isn't like the interaction between the prince and Farrah in PoP:TSoT. When they were actually talking, I liked it, but every time I heard "PULL THE LEVAH!" I wanted to scream.

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

09-29-2010, 12:54 AM

(09-28-2010, 11:24 AM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=PyroZombie link=topic=4900.msg175675#msg175675 date=1285655870]
Define feeling right. If you mean not like the first game, it's basically going to be the first game on a grander scale. The 10 minute video alone already proves that. It's like all the parts in the beginning of the first Bioshock up to the first Big Daddy encounter where you don't fight him, but he smashes the splicer's head through the wall. Except it has a lot more actual combat from he player this time around.
[/quote]Well, I liked the immense atmosphere of Rapture. Dark, damp, lights barely working, and no real break from it, and the big daddies are much better then these Teddy Roosevelt-looking assholes.

While the daddies were human, but you could quickly forget this because of the fact that it had no defined human features, all you saw was a large thing with a drill-hand charging you for brushing up against it's little one. The sounds it made were a guttural howl, with each step shaking the floor,an imposing figure within the bleak, fettid confines of Rapture. Now we got an asshole with a steam-powered suit of steel with 2 obvious weak-points, and you can clearly see that they're human, therefore susceptible to bullets in the skull, while the daddies looked virtually unstoppable and where you hit them didn't mattered.

"Him", the creature at the end of the video, has some pretty enticing looks, but from the name like "Him", I'd think there is only one of it.

This is only one problem of course, and I am enticed to see this physics engine on buildings that was described(apparently, they made the building have the ability to fall over, that was why the building was toppling in the trailer).  The telekinesis perk(I don't know if we're still dealing with plasmids now) having the ability to take guns from townsfolk and shoot them in one fluid motion is cool, but I wish there was more handplay in it. You would think since you, apparently, need to move your hands to use telekinesis, you would need to move the hand in some way to shoot it. I like the possibility of co-op, but will it just be "wind-up, and the pitch" like you see with the woman making rain clouds and him adding lightning to make a larger version, or will it be two batters in the box?

I feel I need to watch it, before I cast a final judgement but I'm leaning on bioshock 1 and 2 here.

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-29-2010, 01:05 AM

I intend to let it stand on its own accolades, instead of comparing what it did better or worse than its predecessors.

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

09-29-2010, 01:40 AM

(09-29-2010, 01:05 AM)at0m link Wrote: I intend to let it stand on its own accolades, instead of comparing what it did better or worse than its predecessors.
Well so do I, but I expect something out of a series. You don't see Dead Rising 2 not having zombies.

Squishy3
Closet Furry

09-29-2010, 09:50 PM

The way the powers work in Infinite is they're temporary. They don't have the technology to make plasmids like they did in Bioshock. So each one has a set number of uses. The less powerful ones (like Electro Bolt and Telekinisis) have more uses, while the more powerful ones (like Murder Crows) have less uses. They have a name but I forgot what they're actually called.

PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

09-30-2010, 10:19 AM

(09-29-2010, 09:50 PM)Squishy link Wrote: The way the powers work in Infinite is they're temporary. They don't have the technology to make plasmids like they did in Bioshock. So each one has a set number of uses. The less powerful ones (like Electro Bolt and Telekinisis) have more uses, while the more powerful ones (like Murder Crows) have less uses. They have a name but I forgot what they're actually called.
DeWitt gains powers and abilities by using vigors and nostrums that are found through Columbia, the equivalent of BioShock's plasmids and tonics. Vigors grant activated powers such as telekinesis, electricity manipulation, or animal control (as seen by the manipulation of a flock of crows within the gameplay demo), while nostrums are passive abilities that can improve the player's strength or damage resistance. Unlike BioShock in which the player was able to use special Gene Banks to alter the loadout of plasmids and tonics they had, the choice to imbibe a certain vigor or nostrum is permanent and cannot be changed later in the game, placing emphasis on the consequences of the player's choices throughout the game.

Pulled from wiki.

Fuck I liked the Murder of Crows.