Hello There, Guest! Register

"I'll have what he's having." (The Beer Review thread).
Vandamguy

09-05-2010, 11:10 PM

(09-03-2010, 12:07 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: Leftenant Crow, you are on tap for selecting a beer on 9/5, for us to try an taste by 9/19.

Also, need more people to sign up to be part of the rotation. PM me, bitches. I'm looking at you Caff, Kor, Vandam, Shadowcast, Ianki, CDuck, Mr.314.
beer tastes horrible.

/thread
rumsfald

09-06-2010, 10:01 AM

(09-05-2010, 11:10 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: beer tastes horrible.

/thread

Not as horrible as that sand in your vagina.

Kor, what happened to your kinfolk? Can't he be saved?
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

09-06-2010, 11:41 AM

[Image: IMAG0165.jpg]

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. 

Cost me $9.99 for a 4 pack

Avg. analysis per 12 fl. oz.
Calories - 190.0
Carbs - 16.4 grams
Protein - 1.98 grams
Fat - 0.0 grams
Alcohol (% by vol.) - 7-9% (the bottles I had were 8.19%)

If you really, really like bourbon, you'll probably not like this beer.  Because it only kinda tastes bourbonish.  Like a bad surrogate for a stronger drink.

This beer is smooth, start to finish.  Sweet, with a little bitterness near the end.  And then the bourbon taste hits you.  You see, they take this Kentucky Ale, brew it, then sit it in old bourbon barrels to let it soak in the charred oak goodness, and it sorta works; you get something that smells kind of like bourbon, and has a more than a hint of bourbon flavor, without leaving your mouth with that bourbon fresh burn that I associate with the Kentucky's signature distillation.  It's basically a lower proof boiler maker.  Except your frat brother didn't hand it too you to chants of "DRINK DRINK DRINK." And there's probably not going to be any young blonde twenty something in a skirt passing out after her second one.  All in All, it's not bad, but I probably wouldn't drink it regularly.  I was curious about the gimmick, and that was just about it- a gimmick.

It's sold extensively throughout Kentucky and Ohio, although I was hoping it was more widely distributed. I'm sure you can order it online someplace. 

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

09-13-2010, 02:07 PM

TIL: Kentucky Bourbon Ale Kills threads.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

09-13-2010, 02:09 PM

(09-13-2010, 02:07 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: TIL: Kentucky Bourbon Ale Kills threads.

I actually looked for that last time I went to the liquor store, they didn't have it Sad

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

09-13-2010, 02:16 PM

(09-13-2010, 02:09 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=LT Crow link=topic=4920.msg173568#msg173568 date=1284404841]
TIL: Kentucky Bourbon Ale Kills threads.

I actually looked for that last time I went to the liquor store, they didn't have it Sad
[/quote]

I've been looking for this stuff for a while, but no one around here seems to carry it.  I am also too lazy to special order it.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
rumsfald

09-13-2010, 07:39 PM

I've been to three purveyors so far, none of them carry any of what Crow, Kaarde, or Exanimotwo reviewed.

Sad

Good news is, Zargon picked a great bier pub. None were excellent, but all were fine, none were bad AT ALL. And, cheap, cheap.
[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-13-2010, 08:36 PM

(09-06-2010, 11:41 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: If you really, really like bourbon, you'll probably not like this beer.  Because it only kinda tastes bourbonish.  Like a bad surrogate for a stronger drink.

I was interested until that sentence. Bourbonish just ain't the same. I will agree on it being an interesting gimmick though. Next time I buy beer, I might try it on a whim though.

HULKMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

(09-13-2010, 07:39 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: I've been to three purveyors so far, none of them carry any of what Crow, Kaarde, or Exanimotwo reviewed.

Sad

Good news is, Zargon picked a great bier pub. None were excellent, but all were fine, none were bad AT ALL. And, cheap, cheap.
Speaking of which, you should review one of the world's top ten beers. I hear it's Turkish.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
rumsfald

11-01-2010, 06:39 PM

(08-21-2010, 05:53 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: THE LISTING OF WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER TO REVIEW BEER

If you don't PM me, it don't count.

Karrde 8/22
rumsfald 8/22
LT Crow 9/5
Dtrain323i steps to the plate on 9/19.
shadowcast on 10/3
TBD..
END OF LINE

What happened here? Is your humble curator sleeping on the job?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0dwxFwN22hcFR21EkrOF...PaG3XO5DM=]

Dtrain, you got next.

again, PM me if you wish to join the rotation, we could use some bench players to round out the starting 5.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

11-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Kinda fell apart after we went and nobody stepped up :\  I was going to start writing some more stuff this month since we're getting into my favorite beer season Big Grin

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

11-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=4920.msg181986#msg181986 date=1288838864]
Kinda fell apart after we went and nobody stepped up :\  I was going to start writing some more stuff this month since we're getting into my favorite beer season Big Grin

I've got one I can review too. I meant to review it a while back but never got around to it.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-04-2010, 12:39 PM

I've got a review for you, of a Dominican beer:

Presidente is decent if it's ice cold. Starts to taste nasty as it warms up.
Presidente Light tastes like ass in a glass.

rumsfald

11-04-2010, 08:16 PM

hey, atom, I heard a dominican beer was the best in the world.

We could screw the rotation and go free-for-all, but then it becomes difficult for other people to find the same brew and review. Which is kinda the point. Maybe since we are so geographically diverse we should attempt to find some more mainstream-ish stuff to review, to gather some steam. anchorsteam, that is.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-04-2010, 09:39 PM

It was Turkish, it was top ten, and I made that joke like three pages ago.

I was referring to one I had while down there, because Presidente had a fucking stranglehold on the bars down there.

exanimo2
Lurker

08-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Bump!

North Coast Brewing Old Stock Ale
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Final: 4.4/5

I don't review often unless I feel a need to, this was one of those times.

I bought Old Stock Ale on a whim on the sole fact of it looking interesting (what a great consumer I am). I had no idea what it kind of beer it was, but I thought I'd give it a shot. When I decided to drink it, I noticed that it had a 2011 year on it, which typically means that it's a special beer, I just didn't know how special it would be.

As I poured it into my chalice the color surprised me; one, because I didn't know what to expect. Two, because it was one of the most interesting looking beers I've ever drank. While it pours dark brown, it looks absolutely beautiful sitting in the chalice. It bubbles with an almost soda-like carbonation, and is one of the few beers that has little to no head or retention that I still think is just breathtaking to look at. The gradients of color are wonderful, from a dark hue of brown to almost a yellow at the bottom of the glass. It could pass as an SRM of 5 to 30 depending on the light and location in the glass. The lamp shining to the side of me delicately reflects a deep ruby-red coppery orange color from my glass onto my hand. It's a work of art.

While it reads 11.9% ABV on the label, I have no fears as I sniff it. It smells more sweet than alcoholic, a great sign. Smells
of molassas, honey, and sticky sweetness more than anything else. The mouthfeel and taste does not disappoint and proves my nose right. A smooth mouthfeel with just the right touch of carbonation tingle in my mouth. A delicious taste of molassas and dark fruits follow with a lingering warmth of alcohol which I can feel warm to the pit of my stomach. It's interesting even though it's not super complex.

Here I am thinking to myself, what the heck is it? Similar to a dark Belgian, but not quite, it pushes all the dark belgian buttons, but it just doesn't seem the same. I just want to put it in my mouth and let it to flow into every crevis so that I can fully experience it and express to you what it feels and tastes like. It's warm, tasty, with just the right amount of bittering and the alcohol makes me feel at ease and comfortable.

As I come here I now understand it's an "Old (Stock) Ale", but who cares, 'cause goodness gracious it's a good beer.

Serving type: bottle

I've got a crush on Karth's sister Ianki.
VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

08-07-2012, 01:48 AM

(08-05-2012, 05:38 PM)exanimo2 link Wrote: Bump!

North Coast Brewing Old Stock Ale
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Final: 4.4/5

I don't review often unless I feel a need to, this was one of those times.

I bought Old Stock Ale on a whim on the sole fact of it looking interesting (what a great consumer I am). I had no idea what it kind of beer it was, but I thought I'd give it a shot. When I decided to drink it, I noticed that it had a 2011 year on it, which typically means that it's a special beer, I just didn't know how special it would be.

As I poured it into my chalice the color surprised me; one, because I didn't know what to expect. Two, because it was one of the most interesting looking beers I've ever drank. While it pours dark brown, it looks absolutely beautiful sitting in the chalice. It bubbles with an almost soda-like carbonation, and is one of the few beers that has little to no head or retention that I still think is just breathtaking to look at. The gradients of color are wonderful, from a dark hue of brown to almost a yellow at the bottom of the glass. It could pass as an SRM of 5 to 30 depending on the light and location in the glass. The lamp shining to the side of me delicately reflects a deep ruby-red coppery orange color from my glass onto my hand. It's a work of art.

While it reads 11.9% ABV on the label, I have no fears as I sniff it. It smells more sweet than alcoholic, a great sign. Smells
of molassas, honey, and sticky sweetness more than anything else. The mouthfeel and taste does not disappoint and proves my nose right. A smooth mouthfeel with just the right touch of carbonation tingle in my mouth. A delicious taste of molassas and dark fruits follow with a lingering warmth of alcohol which I can feel warm to the pit of my stomach. It's interesting even though it's not super complex.

Here I am thinking to myself, what the heck is it? Similar to a dark Belgian, but not quite, it pushes all the dark belgian buttons, but it just doesn't seem the same. I just want to put it in my mouth and let it to flow into every crevis so that I can fully experience it and express to you what it feels and tastes like. It's warm, tasty, with just the right amount of bittering and the alcohol makes me feel at ease and comfortable.

As I come here I now understand it's an "Old (Stock) Ale", but who cares, 'cause goodness gracious it's a good beer.

Serving type: bottle

That does sound good.

Woo hoo ACEN here I come.