Hello There, Guest! Register

Elder Scrolls V Game Informer Scans Leaked
KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't feel like copy pasting the post here cause that'd be a lot of work seeing as we don't support img_thumb tags I think, so I'll just link you to the post instead:

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/960847-...st27265200

Synopsis:

-Radient Story System... basically random encounters and randomly generated quests will happen.
-Revamped conversation system with many more voice actors. Characters will actually walk around and do stuff while talking to you, instead of zooming into their faces.
-18 skills. Mysticysm is removed, skills like Acrobatics/Athletics and mercantile/speechcraft were probably merged (which makes sense as those skills do pretty much the same things in the old games).
-85 spells, though it's unclear if it means "class of spells" or "spells total". I feel like its the former considering it mentions a "fire spell category" where you can do stuff like flamethrower.
-Combat revamped, now duel weild is possible since your attacks are determined on a per-hand basis instead of "right click is block". Spells can be combined by using two different spells at the same time and using two of the same spell is basically a super power version of it.
-Perks added
-HUD-free first version view, revamped third person
-new inventory/journal system
-NPC's dont look like ass
-Dynamic Shadows on everything finally
-Dragon Shouts, which is basically a special ability system similar to Midas Magic for Oblivion. Abilities include slow motion, force pushing, dragon summon, teleportation(? I think), etc.
-You play as the next Dragonborne, country is in Civil war when the rise of the dragons come
-Races are now more clearly defined and are more unique in their mannerisms, size, etc.
-Not all monsters will fight the same or with the same behavior
-Kids
-Killing a shopkeep with a quest is possible, but what'll happen is that the shopkeeps "sister" (for example) will eventually replace the shopkeeper, and she will remember that you killed her and give you worse rewards for the quest (if it is still available to do).
-Crafting is in, can cut down wood, mine, smelt, cook, etc.
-Class System removed, in favor of making it so skills you have a lot of skill in (say going from 45 to 46 in a skill) contributes a LOT more to leveling up than going from 10 to 11 in a skill. This will probably fix a lot of the broken ness in the skill system from before (where you'd get multipliers if you leveled up stuff contributing to your selected class).

Probably other stuff I missed

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM by KorJax.)
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

grain of salt for all of this. this is bethesda we're talking about

perks gonna own
KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Well apparently theyve had the game 75% completed for about a year now and the GI staff ppretty much played a build of the game first hand so I dunno sounds pretty legit. Bethesda said they wanted to hold off on showing anything that wasn't fully functional to avoid the Oblivion hype machine.

Also rumor has it there are no longer weapon skills, instead it's "Single Handed Weapons" and "Two Handed Weapons".

Sounds like shit, but mixed with the new skill system and perks it COULD work out a lot better. This would mean they could also have a very large variety of weapons without having to have skills for each weapon (i..e. spears being under two handed weapons). Also, its been reveaed certain perks will have effects on certain weapons (like a perk that lets mace's ignore armor after X skill). If they have a lot of weapon-specific perks, it'll basically be the same execution of the old skill system but done better. Such as, focusing on single-handed weapon skill, then picking perks that apply to dagger based weaponry would make it so specilization in daggers has special advantages unique to your playstyle. THAT would be pretty neat.

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

01-07-2011, 10:35 PM

As long as I can duel wield claymores, it's cool. Sounds like the levelling system will no longer be shit.

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

01-08-2011, 12:45 AM

The thing I loved about the leveling system was how it was based on how you actually play instead of having to figure out where to put points. It makes more sense both from a mechanical and narrative perspective.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 02:48 AM

(01-08-2011, 12:45 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: The thing I loved about the leveling system was how it was based on how you actually play instead of having to figure out where to put points. It makes more sense both from a mechanical and narrative perspective.

That's something I've always liked about Elder Scrolls as opposed to, say, Fable, or Fallout (at least 3+New Vegas).  You advance your skills by practicing your skills, not leveling up and arbitrarily improving skills.

Anyway, I've loved everything I've heard so far.  So I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but w/e, this game is gonna own!

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
shoopfox
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 04:04 AM

I swear I remember them saying Oblivion was gonna have something similar to that radiant shit but all we got was copy+pasted npcs that shared 6 voice actors and just milled around. If they can make it work it sounds pretty nifty though.

Crafting sounds pretty nice, and I'm glad they got rid of major/minor skills. Also enchantment as a player skill being back sounds potentially game-breaking in an awesome way.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

01-08-2011, 06:42 AM

(01-08-2011, 12:45 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: The thing I loved about the leveling system was how it was based on how you actually play instead of having to figure out where to put points. It makes more sense both from a mechanical and narrative perspective.

except using the skills you actually played with to level was pretty much to your detriment with the way mob-leveling worked. Fucking awful. Speechcraft, alchemy, and mercantile plz

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

01-08-2011, 10:31 AM

(01-08-2011, 06:42 AM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=5328.msg191388#msg191388 date=1294465504]
The thing I loved about the leveling system was how it was based on how you actually play instead of having to figure out where to put points. It makes more sense both from a mechanical and narrative perspective.

except using the skills you actually played with to level was pretty much to your detriment with the way mob-leveling worked. Fucking awful. Speechcraft, alchemy, and mercantile plz
[/quote]

That can be fixed with tweaking.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 11:53 AM

(01-08-2011, 04:04 AM)Señor Pinchy link Wrote: I swear I remember them saying Oblivion was gonna have something similar to that radiant shit but all we got was copy+pasted npcs that shared 6 voice actors and just milled around. If they can make it work it sounds pretty nifty though.

Crafting sounds pretty nice, and I'm glad they got rid of major/minor skills. Also enchantment as a player skill being back sounds potentially game-breaking in an awesome way.

They did, apparently what GI played was a working 75% compelte build of the game though, not some fancy scripted video set up for the world to see.

Rumor has it, they completely axed attributes now though. Which would suck if it means characters are all pretty much going to start and be exactly the same in how they work. That'll take A SHIT TONE of the roleplay out of this "Role-playing Game"... it seems they will be doing that though since they've adopted this policiy of "our fanbase is too stupid and doesn't understand what an RPG is, so your character is defined not from the start or by your choices of who you want to be as a character, but how you'll end up being after 20 or so levels"

While that sounds kind of cool it feels like one step forward and two steps back. I don't want to feel like everyone else and perform things just as well as a low level knight character when I am a low level thief. It doesn't make sense.

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

01-08-2011, 12:17 PM

(01-08-2011, 11:53 AM)KorJax link Wrote: [quote author=Señor Pinchy link=topic=5328.msg191397#msg191397 date=1294477478]
I swear I remember them saying Oblivion was gonna have something similar to that radiant shit but all we got was copy+pasted npcs that shared 6 voice actors and just milled around. If they can make it work it sounds pretty nifty though.

They did, apparently what GI played was a working 75% compelte build of the game though, not some fancy scripted video set up for the world to see.

Rumor has it, they completely axed attributes now though. Which would suck if it means characters are all pretty much going to start and be exactly the same in how they work. That'll take A SHIT TONE of the roleplay out of this "Role-playing Game"... it seems they will be doing that though since they've adopted this policiy of "our fanbase is too stupid and doesn't understand what an RPG is, so your character is defined not from the start or by your choices of who you want to be as a character, but how you'll end up being after 20 or so levels"

While that sounds kind of cool it feels like one step forward and two steps back. I don't want to feel like everyone else and perform things just as well as a low level knight character when I am a low level thief. It doesn't make sense.
[/quote]

I think attribute removal could be a good thing for the game. It'd fix a lot of the retarded levelling shit, and just make the game a lot more skill/perk dependent.  I'm sure you'll do shit damage with swords if you don't use em a while or get any perks, etc. etc.

KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm just worried it'll make it so all characters are pretty much moderately powerful in everything and there is no distinction until level 25 or so.

I like having characters that have weak as shit strength but powerful magic - it's balanced and it provides a solid mage archetype. And solid Archetypes are GOOD

I feel like getting rid of attributes will remove any semblance or playing a role and instead you'll pretty much be an FPS character - not a thief, not a mage, not a warrior, but some jack of all trades able to do anything until you get to a high level to distinct yourself.

I kind of was looking forward to be playing a Knight character who had very little capability of doing magic but was very strong. With this system, I won't really be able to do that since I'll be able to use magic and stealth just as good as any other character until (theoretically) level 25 or so.

Who knows, hopefully they'll balance the perks and skills so that low level skills in anything is seriously LOW LEVEL... much like how a low level theif would only be able to do basic restoration spells if he doesn't focus on magic, a mage who just started would also be at that level.

beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

01-08-2011, 02:52 PM

i bet you they didnt remove attributes, maybe they consolidated some (the two spellcasting ones, int and wisdom i think? agi and speed could def go together) but no way they completely removed them. they're such an integral part of rpg balance in most games, unless everything is utterly useless without perks
KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 03:12 PM

(01-08-2011, 02:52 PM)diglett link Wrote: i bet you they didnt remove attributes, maybe they consolidated some (the two spellcasting ones, int and wisdom i think? agi and speed could def go together) but no way they completely removed them. they're such an integral part of rpg balance in most games, unless everything is utterly useless without perks

All signs point to them being removed

-There isn't an attributes menu anymore, and the screen we got of the skills menu doesn't list attributes anywhere
-The screen of "destruction" skill being listed doesn't list a governing attribute anymore, which is vital in the old games of a thing to list
-Leveling up has you only picking to boost health, magic and stamina
-Article went in depth into the skill system, but didn't mention attributes at all anywhere.

beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

01-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Sad

expect a whole bunch of lame perks along the lines of "MELEE SPECIALIZATION" and "MAGIC SPECIALIZATION"
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

01-08-2011, 03:39 PM

from reading this thread, new ES game sounds like it's going to be awful (again)

shoopfox
BRB, Posting

01-08-2011, 05:39 PM

I hope there are mudcrab-related perks.
Geoff
Real World Azn

01-08-2011, 06:02 PM

this game will own just like oblivion

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

01-08-2011, 06:14 PM

im hoping all the "radiant" shit works as described but is really horribly done and always hilarious

i rly want to kill a village by dropping some rocks worth 1g on the ground
BHHammy
Lurker

01-09-2011, 11:56 AM

The leveling system is why I can't bring myself to play Oblivion anymore.
Having to pick such an odd hodgepodge of things instead of of a well-rounded balance of skills all for the cause of a fucked leveling system is NOT good work.
And woe betide you if you put athletics or acrobatics as skills.
Mmmmmboy, swimming for about a hour straight to get a skill point, and then hopping like a jackrabbit all over the place for another hour just to get another sure doesn't stink of forced boosting at all.

Add the problem of the level-up stat bonuses as well, and then it comes down to either having to boost and game said system (and break immersion), or be a bitch and lower the difficulty.

It's a crying shame, because I actually loved most everything else.

MIDGETS
[Image: 491e3223ab70a45fd38c00867be8f398.gif]
NOW WITH JIGGLEBONES