Hello There, Guest! Register

L.A. Noire
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

You know what's kind of sad?

Phoenix Wright was a better investigation game than this.  Sad

I mean, I like the game, but there's zero-replayability and the characters kind of sucked.
shoopfox
BRB, Posting

05-26-2011, 01:44 AM

(05-25-2011, 11:53 PM)Karth link Wrote: You know what's kind of sad?

Phoenix Wright was a better investigation game than this.  Sad

I mean, I like the game, but there's zero-replayability and the characters kind of sucked.

I agree with most of this. There's no reason for the game to be open world, no reason not to have your partner tele-drive you everywhere, and 'investigating' is mostly hugging a wall and mashing X the few times it's not glaringly obvious where important clues are.

It was nifty and worth a pirate but I'd feel pretty sad if I paid $50 for this.

*Edit*

Oh shit I forgot console games are $60. That's even worse ;_;
Turtle
Justin Bieber

05-26-2011, 03:28 PM

great idea with bad follow through.

sounds like apb

Squishy3
Closet Furry

05-26-2011, 08:19 PM

(05-25-2011, 11:53 PM)Karth link Wrote: You know what's kind of sad?

I disagree, LA Noire's investigation is miles better than Phoenix Wright's. There were some clues in Phoenix Wright where it was nearly impossible to find what you were looking for unless you knew exactly what it was. [spoiler]Like the Mask De Masque case in the 2nd game, where you need to find a security camera in a teddy bear on a very specific small part of the teddy bear. [/spoiler] LA Noire at least offers an optional hints system, where as in Phoenix Wright I just used a spoiler free FAQ for the investigation sequences because some of the clues you need to find are completely ridiculous.

KarthXLR

05-26-2011, 08:34 PM

(05-26-2011, 08:19 PM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=5628.msg207664#msg207664 date=1306385585]

I disagree, LA Noire's investigation is miles better than Phoenix Wright's. There were some clues in Phoenix Wright where it was nearly impossible to find what you were looking for unless you knew exactly what it was. [spoiler]Like the Mask De Masque case in the 2nd game, where you need to find a security camera in a teddy bear on a very specific small part of the teddy bear. [/spoiler] LA Noire at least offers an optional hints system, where as in Phoenix Wright I just used a spoiler free FAQ for the investigation sequences because some of the clues you need to find are completely ridiculous.
[/quote]
Yeah, but at least it didn't rumble the controller when you got near something to investigate or played music when you there weren't any more clues.

The biggest problem I have with LA Noire is that some of the logic in the game makes Phoenix Wright seem like probable trial. I was on the [spoiler]Marine case involving your old unit[/spoiler] and some of the evidence you have to present just doesn't correspond with what the dialogue is talking about. Also, I still have no idea what the difference between doubt and lie is half the time.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

05-26-2011, 08:48 PM

(05-26-2011, 08:34 PM)Karth link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=5628.msg207784#msg207784 date=1306459153]
[quote author=Karth link=topic=5628.msg207664#msg207664 date=1306385585]

[/quote]
Yeah, but at least it didn't rumble the controller when you got near something to investigate or played music when you there weren't any more clues.

The biggest problem I have with LA Noire is that some of the logic in the game makes Phoenix Wright seem like probable trial. I was on the [spoiler]Marine case involving your old unit[/spoiler] and some of the evidence you have to present just doesn't correspond with what the dialogue is talking about. Also, I still have no idea what the difference between doubt and lie is half the time.
[/quote]If they say something that contradicts something another character said or something you have in evidence, lie. If you don't have evidence do doubt. The thing with LA Noire is though any potential clues stick out from the background if you're looking hard enough. Not the case in Phoenix Wright, especially when you need to have the cursor be on a very specific area that isn't even that big.

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

05-27-2011, 12:00 AM

Sweet I just got my copy as a late birthday gift & it came with best buy's pre-order item "the Sharpshooter"

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
[Image: lolsgcatgunhugger.gif]
Strangest comment I've read sofar
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
KarthXLR

05-27-2011, 03:45 AM

Just finished it, here's my final thoughts

Team Bondi took a huge risk making this game, it really is unlike anything else on the market. And for the most part, what's good is REALLY good, such as the story, motion captured game models, graphics, and dialogue. I mean, it's very rare that you get a story written this well in any type of video game, and that's gotta be what they worked on the most. But at the same time, there's so much wrong with the game that I can't really recommend it.

Some of the vocal performances are perfect, but others are so bad that I actually caught myself laughing a little. The cover mechanic is clunky to say the least, and the controls can lag severely at times. The driving segments of the game are torturous, just another reason why this game shouldn't have been open-world. Cars either don't turn much or flip a 180 by barely turning the wheel. Unlike the GTA games or Red Dead Redemption, you're forced to be the good guy, making it impossible to go on rampages. Many obstacles are made unbreakable, such as picket and chain-link fences and shrubberies (while street lights remain delicate, easily breakable towers of glass), making chases groan worthy and driving sections uninteresting. Hell, you can't even draw your gun unless the game says so. And that's another thing, this game has no freedom, despite being an sandbox game. There's next-to-nothing to do when not on mission aside from sight seeing, there's little replayability considering each case only has one-solution (even if you fail). Too bad, the game could have had lot's of options if you could take the cruel police route a la Bad Lieutenant.

TL;DR version:
Great idea, great story, but fairly unimpressive results. That being said, I hope the game is financial success so other companies can try their hand at this. I would love to see a noire game done right.

EXTREME SPOILERS, SERIOUSLY, IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME DON'T READ THIS

[spoiler]You die and the corrupt vice gets away with it. Worst possible way to end this game.[/spoiler]
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

06-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Cole Phelps: Super Cop

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
[Image: lolsgcatgunhugger.gif]
Strangest comment I've read sofar
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

06-23-2011, 01:10 PM

L.A. Noire coming to pc this fall.  Now they just need to bring Red Dead Redemption over.