Hello There, Guest! Register

question for _________
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

04-13-2014, 08:11 PM

(04-13-2014, 07:39 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Question for everyone:

Where on earth do I buy comics online for a reasonable price?

Recently I found my old shoebox of comics, and am starting to get back into my Rogue Squadron series. While chilling out with our friend RobG today, he told me the comic place was having a 50% off sale, so we went...

$42 later, I have about doubled my collection. But I'm still missing quite a few issues. I've tapped out my local source so far as I know, and I'm looking to get the rest online piece by piece, but I have no idea where to start. A brief e-bay search was disheartening... $0.99, plus $20 shipping PER COMIC is unacceptable.

Thoughts?

Vongore says:
Quote:www.Midtowncomics.com

They have the best prices and the best stock.
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

04-13-2014, 10:02 PM

Nice! I got another good chunk of what I was missing that way. Shipping is still a bit high in my opinion for what I'm getting, but better than e-bay.

Now, I wait. Maybe there are a few more comic shops in the city I can find the stragglers in... These haven't been published since like the late 1990's...
kirapmc
N00b

04-14-2014, 01:12 AM

(04-13-2014, 05:12 PM)at0m link Wrote: \o/ for calm discussion, and I'd have more to add were I not on mobile.
Also, Kira, we need to hang out again sometime so I can get some more of that wicked good bbq, I still dream about those homemade ribs from time to time.

Two things that should also help: http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explai...ite-person  and (will replace with a link to something I read that explains the 'I hate men/whitey/cis' thing that I read once but cannot now find)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
We might be able to make that happen sometime. To be perfectly honest, right now I am facing becoming homeless and entering more shitty trials.  Trying to keep a smile and ignore a lot of horrible things.  I knew this would be a trial.
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

04-14-2014, 01:44 AM

(04-13-2014, 03:30 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=kirapmc link=topic=5854.msg277650#msg277650 date=1397347732]
Yes, I found this.

To all of those talking about priveledge and people being whiny...

You have not walked in another persons shoes. You may not understand their journey. Just as people turn to these forums to whine and bitch and moan about a game, or other people, some of us use tumbler(not myself) as a platform.

Yes, I am the trans person these guys speak about. Even with my former gaming community, I feel pretty awkward. I remember lots of things from my years spent with them that made me feel horrible.

I am over that, I have reached out to those I care about. I was a very dedicated gamer. Even that is distant now. Not because I am truthful in being a woman, but because of the hostility. I live with it everyday, at work, with my ex, etc.

I do not game anymore because of those hostilities surfacing in the gaming world. I want an escape. And maybe a little respect. I dont have that anymore.

Just because you think you know something, and something seems whiny, or bitchy.... step back. Imagine life for that person.

If i sound bitchy, well here is a few truths.... i have been raped  twice in the last year, physically assualted twice, almost lost my iob, loosing my house, lost my partner of 14 years, constantly humiliated and intimidated by coworkers, and former coworkers. And despite the fact i said last january was my last suicide attempt. It was not. I have been close twice more. And once again tonight, I sit on that fence.

So stop judging, maybe just say nothing, or just throw out a kind word. You never know how that can change a persons day, or maybe life.

Just some context - I think the conversation has more to do with people who are normally supportive being written off because they are white/straight/male. Maybe we just misunderstand something or don't get it - but we still want to be able to participate in conversations and be educated about things.[/quote]

Hammer meet nail.

I think the problem really boils down for it being easier for everyone to just say "check your privilege" or whatever, and easier for everyone else to get offended at that, for whatever reason.

And who can blame (Can't really think of the right word, so I'll just go with) LGBT crowd for taking the "easy" way out?  The best they can hope for from a lot of people is mockery.  Ranging all the way down to physical and sexual abuse.  Trying to have a conversation with others about what you're going through has to be so difficult, looking at that.  You'll never know if someone is going to be supportive, apathetic, or abusive.  So, given all that, it's totally understandable why you'd choose to go with the simple "insult" then go in-depth.  

And for us (white, middle class, males) it's easier to get all worked up by a buzzword, then really try to understand what kind of things a person in the LGBT crowd may be facing.  Because it's  going to be really, really hard, if not impossible.  We just have to try and comprehend, and mostly be supportive.  But because thinking and sympathizing is hard, and rabble rabble rabbleing is easier, people will just look at things from their side, and be all like, privilege?  How they know what privilege I got?  They ain't know me!  Which is so terribly ironic.

And it sucks.  It really sucks that that is where we are now in the world, and hopefully people who do harm to the LGBT community are as looked down upon as much as racists from the 60s are now.  

So, all it's gonna take is LGBT peeps being even more brave (seriously, it takes some nuts to talk about this shit), and everyone else willing to talk to that community, and let them know that we want to help, and want to understand, and that we need your help to understand.

Let's get fucking to it.

I'll take off my philosopher hat off now.  I should have been in bed hours ago, but my brain just wouldn't stop gnawing on this topic, so here we are.

(Incidentally, I hate the term "check your privilege" just from a language standpoint.  Am I checking it as in looking to see how privileged I am?  Or checking it as in putting a limit on how privileged I am?  It's unclear dammit!)

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
kirapmc
N00b

04-14-2014, 03:03 AM

(04-14-2014, 01:44 AM)Höböspärtän link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=5854.msg277674#msg277674 date=1397421036]
[quote author=kirapmc link=topic=5854.msg277650#msg277650 date=1397347732]
Yes, I found this.

To all of those talking about priveledge and people being whiny...

You have not walked in another persons shoes. You may not understand their journey. Just as people turn to these forums to whine and bitch and moan about a game, or other people, some of us use tumbler(not myself) as a platform.

Yes, I am the trans person these guys speak about. Even with my former gaming community, I feel pretty awkward. I remember lots of things from my years spent with them that made me feel horrible.

I am over that, I have reached out to those I care about. I was a very dedicated gamer. Even that is distant now. Not because I am truthful in being a woman, but because of the hostility. I live with it everyday, at work, with my ex, etc.

I do not game anymore because of those hostilities surfacing in the gaming world. I want an escape. And maybe a little respect. I dont have that anymore.

Just because you think you know something, and something seems whiny, or bitchy.... step back. Imagine life for that person.

If i sound bitchy, well here is a few truths.... i have been raped  twice in the last year, physically assualted twice, almost lost my iob, loosing my house, lost my partner of 14 years, constantly humiliated and intimidated by coworkers, and former coworkers. And despite the fact i said last january was my last suicide attempt. It was not. I have been close twice more. And once again tonight, I sit on that fence.

So stop judging, maybe just say nothing, or just throw out a kind word. You never know how that can change a persons day, or maybe life.

Just some context - I think the conversation has more to do with people who are normally supportive being written off because they are white/straight/male. Maybe we just misunderstand something or don't get it - but we still want to be able to participate in conversations and be educated about things.[/quote]

Hammer meet nail.

I think the problem really boils down for it being easier for everyone to just say "check your privilege" or whatever, and easier for everyone else to get offended at that, for whatever reason.

And who can blame (Can't really think of the right word, so I'll just go with) LGBT crowd for taking the "easy" way out?  The best they can hope for from a lot of people is mockery.  Ranging all the way down to physical and sexual abuse.  Trying to have a conversation with others about what you're going through has to be so difficult, looking at that.  You'll never know if someone is going to be supportive, apathetic, or abusive.  So, given all that, it's totally understandable why you'd choose to go with the simple "insult" then go in-depth.  

And for us (white, middle class, males) it's easier to get all worked up by a buzzword, then really try to understand what kind of things a person in the LGBT crowd may be facing.  Because it's  going to be really, really hard, if not impossible.  We just have to try and comprehend, and mostly be supportive.  But because thinking and sympathizing is hard, and rabble rabble rabbleing is easier, people will just look at things from their side, and be all like, privilege?  How they know what privilege I got?  They ain't know me!  Which is so terribly ironic.

And it sucks.  It really sucks that that is where we are now in the world, and hopefully people who do harm to the LGBT community are as looked down upon as much as racists from the 60s are now.  

So, all it's gonna take is LGBT peeps being even more brave (seriously, it takes some nuts to talk about this shit), and everyone else willing to talk to that community, and let them know that we want to help, and want to understand, and that we need your help to understand.

Let's get fucking to it.

I'll take off my philosopher hat off now.  I should have been in bed hours ago, but my brain just wouldn't stop gnawing on this topic, so here we are.

(Incidentally, I hate the term "check your privilege" just from a language standpoint.  Am I checking it as in looking to see how privileged I am?  Or checking it as in putting a limit on how privileged I am?  It's unclear dammit!)
[/quote]

I have no issue with helping people understand. I also am very afraid of the world and in no way wanting to point a finger yelling privilege. Unfortunately, that is what the world has come down to me. I no longer game online, because my voice became an issue.  Those that knew me from the past, know I was awful, but enjoyed gaming at least. I slowly shrunk away from only gaming because I could NOT stand the sound of my own voice, and online... well let's face it... you need a mic.

I sit now, pondering a lot of things and empty.  I am scared of the real world, and the virtual world. I do not understand what privilege is. If I need that, and to use against people and be an asshole... well count me out. I actually like people to much for that.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

You say you hate the sound of your voice, do you suffer from gender dysphoria? When I was in law school we had a project where we had to argue a fake case about someone with gender dysphoria so I learned a little about it. It seems like a pretty rough thing to go through but I know it is a recognized thing and that there are treatments available which I think mostly revolve around transitioning you to your correct gender through surgery. Of course I think its also expensive and I doubt insurance covers it, which really sucks.

Best of luck to you.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Elder
BRB, Posting

04-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Your not alone in the hating your own voice. Most people that hear themselves back in recording especially over gameplay when they cant see their face really makes them think how silly or bad their voice sounds.
I know having recorded bits of dialogue for myself think i sound goofy or strange. Thats just a more natural reaction because your voice sounds different in your head compared to when its actually spoken (Thanks for that Eightball)

Otherwise its always cool to see more people around the forums posting and conversing.

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
Didzo
Uninstalling

04-14-2014, 03:26 PM

I think my voice is obnoxious even without hearing it played back to me but I still use it as much as I can because I know it makes Elder swoon.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Surf314

04-14-2014, 04:33 PM

If KiraPMC suffers from something like gender dysphoria then its a lot different than what you guys might be thinking about. Gender dysphoria, from what I remember, is when your whole mental identity and self-view is different than your birth sex. People suffering from this can always feel wrong because they basically have the wrong body than what their mind tells them they should have.

Let's just pretend that you wake up one day and your sex is flipped. I know most people's first reaction to that is to think they would just have fun with it and masturbate, have sex, find out how the other sex feels, whatever. But let's say a year goes by and you aren't back to normal. Everyday you wake up and your voice is not right and your sex organs aren't right. You're muscles are different. Your face doesn't look how it should. Your hair growth is wrong. From what I understand it's a pretty horrible experience and often leads in depression, body image issues, and disconnection from society. That being said, now that it has been medically recognized there are treatments that have developed. I think it's still early stages of dealing with this condition but therapy sometimes combined with hormone therapy and sex reassignment has helped many people that suffer from this. Some still struggle with it even after surgery. It's also really important to start treatment, at least counseling/therapy, as early as possible.

rumbot
BRB, Posting

04-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Jesus christ it's like I can't take a fucking international business trip to a place with terribad internet without worrying about which of you children are going to start licking lead paint.

Kira, please, don't mind Karth. He's from Arizona. The state that just tried to institute Jim Crow laws for LGBTQ. The last state to recognize MLK as a federal holiday.

Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona

Privilege means never having to worry that the government is trying to take away your rights. And when you call people "delusional" for "whining" when government is giving them less rights than you, then you need to "check your fucking privilege."
KarthXLR

04-14-2014, 10:25 PM

(04-14-2014, 08:18 PM)rumbot link Wrote: Jesus christ it's like I can't take a fucking international business trip to a place with terribad internet without worrying about which of you children are going to start licking lead paint.

Kira, please, don't mind Karth. He's from Arizona. The state that just tried to institute Jim Crow laws for LGBTQ. The last state to recognize MLK as a federal holiday.

Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona

Privilege means never having to worry that the government is trying to take away your rights. And when you call people "delusional" for "whining" when government is giving them less rights than you, then you need to "check your fucking privilege."

Oh fuck off rummy. I brought it up here because I never saw the phrase used for any other reason than a trump card in an argument. Plenty of other members have contributed vastly helpful things and made very civil discussion until you showed up.

I get that you clearly think I'm some fucking inbred retard but I don't need you trying to be smartass every fucking post. I've been taking your shit for well over 3 years now and I'm fucking sick of it.
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

04-14-2014, 10:26 PM

You all need to check your anti gun privilege

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Didzo
Uninstalling

04-14-2014, 11:31 PM

Privileges must be checked in at the gate. Butthurt and refreshments may be purchased past the gate.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

04-14-2014, 11:40 PM

(04-14-2014, 11:31 PM)Didzo link Wrote: Privileges must be checked in at the gate. Butthurt and refreshments may be purchased past the gate.

Does brb,u have a motto?  Cause if not, this should totally be the motto.

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
kirapmc
N00b

04-15-2014, 02:07 AM

(04-14-2014, 04:33 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: If KiraPMC suffers from something like gender dysphoria then its a lot different than what you guys might be thinking about. Gender dysphoria, from what I remember, is when your whole mental identity and self-view is different than your birth sex. People suffering from this can always feel wrong because they basically have the wrong body than what their mind tells them they should have.

Let's just pretend that you wake up one day and your sex is flipped. I know most people's first reaction to that is to think they would just have fun with it and masturbate, have sex, find out how the other sex feels, whatever. But let's say a year goes by and you aren't back to normal. Everyday you wake up and your voice is not right and your sex organs aren't right. You're muscles are different. Your face doesn't look how it should. Your hair growth is wrong. From what I understand it's a pretty horrible experience and often leads in depression, body image issues, and disconnection from society. That being said, now that it has been medically recognized there are treatments that have developed. I think it's still early stages of dealing with this condition but therapy sometimes combined with hormone therapy and sex reassignment has helped many people that suffer from this. Some still struggle with it even after surgery. It's also really important to start treatment, at least counseling/therapy, as early as possible.

Yes, I have been diagnosed with it. I am almost 11 months into Hormone Therapy, overall happy with progress, but... I have lost most of my friends and family. I have nearly lost my job, and am in the process of loosing my home because my partner of 14 years left me, and I was not able to keep up on my own (especially with the expense of the doctors and getting diagnosed).  It's a shit world.
Surf314

04-15-2014, 08:51 AM

(04-15-2014, 02:07 AM)kirapmc link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=5854.msg277719#msg277719 date=1397511193]
If KiraPMC suffers from something like gender dysphoria then its a lot different than what you guys might be thinking about. Gender dysphoria, from what I remember, is when your whole mental identity and self-view is different than your birth sex. People suffering from this can always feel wrong because they basically have the wrong body than what their mind tells them they should have.

Yes, I have been diagnosed with it. I am almost 11 months into Hormone Therapy, overall happy with progress, but... I have lost most of my friends and family. I have nearly lost my job, and am in the process of loosing my home because my partner of 14 years left me, and I was not able to keep up on my own (especially with the expense of the doctors and getting diagnosed).  It's a shit world.
[/quote]

I hope it works out for you. It sounded like a shitty condition when I was researching it. I was arguing that under the law those with gender dysphoria should be treated as their mental and not their physical sex (FL bans gay marriage). It was easy for me to argue because after doing the research I really do believe that gender comes from the mind, not always from the body.

I hope things work out for you. I know things are bad now but there is another way to look at it. You found out who you are and, while the transition will undoubtedly be difficult, you now have the rest of your life to look forward to where you can be yourself. Hopefully you can look back on this someday as a rough start to what becomes a wonderful life.

rumbot
BRB, Posting

04-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Nah, I'm not fully convinced you're an inbred retard. There's equal probability that you are just a bigot.  ;D

You're concerned that "check your privilege" is used as a trump card - and my explicit point is that many governments, especially your state, uses governmental power as a "trump card."

If someone tells you on tumblr to "check your privilege," you get to come over here and tell us what a bunch of whiners they are.

But when the government pulls a trump card in law, then all sorts of non-majority people suffer. Go to jail. Get shot. That's a real trump card, not some college dorm debate.

Here's some examples: Doug Glanville, ex-MLB star, profiled for shoveling snow in his own driveway. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arch...ay/360615/

Here's a great piece on how the city of Philadelphia treat groups of drunken whites different from drunken others: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jn-salters...82045.html

Having "privilege" means, for the most part, never having to worry that you will be subjected to such restrictions on how you move about the world. See here: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege
rumbot
BRB, Posting

04-15-2014, 12:19 PM

see also, the great comedian, Jay Smooth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGQaz1u3V4

And, "I've been told to check my privilege, now what?". This link is great and it covers many of the common blunders...some of which we've seen here already.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM by rumbot.)
KarthXLR

04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

(04-15-2014, 12:13 PM)rumbot link Wrote: Nah, I'm not fully convinced you're an inbred retard. There's equal probability that you are just a bigot.  ;D

You're concerned that "check your privilege" is used as a trump card - and my explicit point is that many governments, especially your state, uses governmental power as a "trump card."

If someone tells you on tumblr to "check your privilege," you get to come over here and tell us what a bunch of whiners they are.

But when the government pulls a trump card in law, then all sorts of non-majority people suffer. Go to jail. Get shot. That's a real trump card, not some college dorm debate.

Here's some examples: Doug Glanville, ex-MLB star, profiled for shoveling snow in his own driveway. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arch...ay/360615/

Here's a great piece on how the city of Philadelphia treat groups of drunken whites different from drunken others: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jn-salters...82045.html

Having "privilege" means, for the most part, never having to worry that you will be subjected to such restrictions on how you move about the world. See here: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege

Rummy, if you had bothered to read the last page you'd know that everything you just said has been answered, and far less hostile than you put it. I know you love targeting me based on our little post wars, but you could've not posted anything and we'd have the same amount of information that we currently do.

And as you know, GOD FORBID I ask a question that legitimately confuses me. Fuck me if I want to know multiple sides to a phrase that seems to only have been used as a negative addition to arguments where I've seen it used. And hell, if I am misinformed, I clearly don't deserve some answer that isn't dished from our favorite community know-it-all. But whatever, I'm a cowboy, and that means I hate those blacks, jews, and gays! If it's not white and straight, you know I automatically dislike it!

As a matter of fact, fuck all Arizona dwellers right? Fuck the minorities in our state because they live under our laws! They CLEARLY want them if they're living there!
k0ala
BRB, Posting

04-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:EXPLAINING WHITE PRIVILEGE TO A BROKE WHITE PERSON...

Quote:®ecognizing Privilege doesn't mean suffering guilt or shame for your lot in life. Nobody's saying that Straight White Middle Class Able-Bodied Males are all a bunch of assholes who don't work hard for what they have. Recognizing Privilege simply means being aware that some people have to work much harder just to experience the things you take for granted (if they ever can experience them at all).

This is the kind of stuff that the Rush Limbaugh / Sheriff Joe Arpaio / Michael Savage listeners hate. They don't like being reminded that the people they look down on are not actually dumb animals or cartoon caricatures, but actual people, with a lot of shit to deal with, just like every other miserable adult on this planet, and some people have vastly more shit to work through. But if you don't get outside the echo chamber of people who think that everyone's got the same opportunities, because this is America, then you start to take the bullshit to its logical conclusion: "everyone else with more problems than I have is just whining, because I worked hard and succeeded, therefore it should be possible for anyone to succeed by working just as hard as I did."

^ Right now, Arizona is the biggest echo chamber of people who think like this. ^

"Check your privilege" should be the beginning of a serious conversation -- not the ending of one.

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM by k0ala.)