Hello There, Guest! Register

Occupy Wall Street
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-17-2011, 07:32 AM

(11-17-2011, 04:08 AM)k0ala link Wrote: Hey, whatever happened to the Department of Homeland Security, now that we took care of all the nation-threatening terrorist networks?

http://wonkette.com/456282/surprise-home...nationwide

...oh.
guess all the police state hyperbole wasn't so hyperbolic after all

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
rumsfald

11-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Occupy as API

also

Update on the librrry. If it was Mayor Bloomberg’s desire to check out a copy of his book Bloomberg by Bloomberg, from the People’s Library, then it was his right to do so, and if he wanted to read Jonathan Franzen’s novel Freedom he could have borrowed a copy of that as well. Yet, checking out thousands of books at once was highly inconsiderate, and his treatment of these materials is unacceptable.     Ha!
EarthlingJohn
BRB, Posting

11-19-2011, 08:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...nR7xET7Uo#!

My god.

+If you can read this, you aren't checking your back+
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

11-20-2011, 12:54 AM

UC Davis Chancellor Kotehi walks to her car (higher quality)

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM by Spore.)
rumsfald

11-20-2011, 09:34 PM

[Image: 374587_139106239529590_121408401299374_1...2210_n.jpg]
Didzo
Uninstalling

11-21-2011, 01:31 AM

If only.  :-\

[Image: xIjcR.jpg]

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011, 10:54 PM by Didzo.)
k0ala
BRB, Posting

11-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Pikémon

University to pay medical bills of pepper spray victims

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
rumsfald

11-23-2011, 08:44 PM

[Image: tumblr_lv2huqaY7K1r6m1z5o1_1280.jpg]
k0ala
BRB, Posting

11-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Naomi Wolf, Shocking Truth About the Crackdown on Occupy, The Guardian (added emphasis mine)

Quote:The mainstream media was declaring continually "OWS has no message". Frustrated, I simply asked them. I began soliciting online "What is it you want?" answers from Occupy. In the first 15 minutes, I received 100 answers. These were truly eye-opening.

The No 1 agenda item: get the money out of politics. Most often cited was legislation to blunt the effect of the Citizens United ruling, which lets boundless sums enter the campaign process.

No 2: reform the banking system to prevent fraud and manipulation, with the most frequent item being to restore the Glass-Steagall Act – the Depression-era law, done away with by President Clinton, that separates investment banks from commercial banks. This law would correct the conditions for the recent crisis, as investment banks could not take risks for profit that create kale derivatives out of thin air, and wipe out the commercial and savings banks.

No 3 was the most clarifying: draft laws against the little-known loophole that currently allows members of Congress to pass legislation affecting Delaware-based corporations in which they themselves are investors.

When I saw this list – and especially the last agenda item – the scales fell from my eyes. Of course, these unarmed people would be having the shit kicked out of them.

For the terrible insight to take away from news that the Department of Homeland Security coordinated a violent crackdown is that the DHS does not freelance. The DHS cannot say, on its own initiative, "we are going after these scruffy hippies". Rather, DHS is answerable up a chain of command: first, to New York Representative Peter King, head of the House homeland security subcommittee, who naturally is influenced by his fellow congressmen and women's wishes and interests. And the DHS answers directly, above King, to the president (who was conveniently in Australia at the time).

rumsfald

12-05-2011, 09:04 PM

[Image: pepper-spray-cop-doom.jpg]
Duck, Duck, Goose

12-06-2011, 12:22 PM

OWS: now with 100% more meme.

[Image: tumblr_luzwlylIAH1qafo3wo1_500.png?1321858129]
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM by Nitrous Oxide.)
rumsfald

12-07-2011, 09:43 PM

(11-26-2011, 10:14 AM)k0ala link Wrote: Naomi Wolf, Shocking Truth About the Crackdown on Occupy, The Guardian (added emphasis mine)

The No 1 agenda item: get the money out of politics. Most often cited was legislation to blunt the effect of the Citizens United ruling, which lets boundless sums enter the campaign process.

now, visualized

If Citizens United was the Big Bang of a new era of money in politics, here's the parallel universe it formed: rapidly expanding super-PACs and nebulous 501© groups exerting their gravitational pull on federal elections. A group's size in the chart below is based upon all known fundraising or spending since 2010…so keep an eye out for dark matter.http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/...oups-chart
[Image: giants.jpg]
k0ala
BRB, Posting

12-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Complex Systems Institute claims "bear raid" market manipulation crashed the global economy
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/21/complex...-clai.html
Quote:A paper from the New England Complex Systems Institute claims that they have found evidence that traders executed a "bear raid" on Citigroup in 2007, precipitating the financial collapse. A "bear raid" is a market manipulation technique in which short sellers conspire to dump huge quantities of borrowed shares into the market all at once, driving the price down (short selling is a stock-trading technique in which shares are borrowed for sale; the short seller makes money when the value of the borrowed shares declines).
"Bear raids" have been considered a risk to markets since the Great Depression, and a financial regulation called the "uptick rule" was instituted in 1938 to prevent the tactic. The uptick rule was repealed in in July, 2007, and the alleged bear raid took place in November, 2007.

http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2011/12...mie-dimon/

Quote:Dear Jamie Dimon,

I hope this note finds you well.

I am writing to profess my utter disbelief at how little you seem to understand the current mood of the nation.  In a story at Bloomberg today, you and a handful of fellow banker and billionaire "job creators" were quoted as believing that the horrific sentiment directed toward you from virtually all corners of America had something to do with how much money you had.  I'd like to take a moment to disabuse you of this foolishness.

America is different than almost every other place on earth in that its citizenry reveres the wealthy and we are raised to believe that we can all one day join the ranks of the rich.  The lack of a caste system or visible rungs of society's ladder is what separates our empire from so many fallen empires throughout history.  In a nation bereft of royalty by virtue of its republican birth, the American people have done what any other resourceful people would do - we've created our own royalty and our royalty is the 1%.  Not only do we not "hate the rich" as you and other em-bubbled plutocrats have postulated, in point of fact, we love them.  We worship our rich to the point of obsession.  The highest-rated television shows uniformly feature the unimaginably fabulous families of celebrities not to mention the housewives (real or otherwise) of the rich.
( ... )
Likewise, when Steve Jobs died, he did so with more money than you or any of your "job alliance" buddies - ten times more than most of you, in fact.  And upon his death the entire nation went into mourning.  We set up makeshift shrines to his brilliance in front of Apple stores from coast to coast.  His biography flew off the shelves and people bought Apple products and stock shares in his honor and in his memory.  Does that strike you as the action of a populace that hates success?

No, Jamie, it is not that Americans hate successful people or the wealthy.  In fact, it is just the opposite.  We love the success stories in our midst and it is a distinctly American trait to believe that we can all follow in the footsteps of the elite, even though so few of us ever actually do.

So, no, we don't hate the rich.  What we hate are the predators.

What we hate are the people who we view as having found their success as a consequence of the damage their activities have done to our country.  What we hate are those who take and give nothing back in the form of innovation, convenience, entertainment or scientific progress.  We hate those who've exploited political relationships and stupidity to rake in even more of the nation's wealth while simultaneously driving the potential for success further away from the grasp of everyone else.

EarthlingJohn
BRB, Posting

12-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Those are very valid points, and that is a very well written letter.

Has there been anything major recently? Haven't been able to keep up Sad

+If you can read this, you aren't checking your back+
rumsfald

12-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Dimon has always been a grade A douchebag.

[tt]Chase Manhattan Bank, run for 11 years by David Rockefeller, was the product of a 1955 merger between Chase National Bank, named after former Treasury Secretary Salmon Chase, and Manhattan Co., founded by New York lawyer Aaron Burr.

Dimon's office is on the eighth floor of the bank's Park Avenue headquarters, just across the street from the $1 billion Bear Stearns building. In one corner, a bronze-colored sculpture of the Statue of Liberty holds a torch that glows with an electric light. In the adjacent sitting room, a glass cabinet holds the wood-handled pistols used by Burr and Alexander Hamilton in the 1804 duel that killed Hamilton, the first U.S. secretary of the Treasury. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=n...tory1.html[/tt]

Let that sink in.....this leading Captain of Banking (Dimon) has on private display the pistol used by a private banker (Burr) used to kill the architect of Federal banking (Hamilton, who was also a great founding father in other respects.)