Hello There, Guest! Register

LoZ Skyward Sword (Reviews are in!)
Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

11-30-2011, 07:12 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about this, but I don't know if I'm ready to love again play anything on the Wii again after my experience with Other M.

Also, I hate motion controls because of the grapple beam in Prime 3. SPACE PIRATES! Y U PULL LEVERS BACK!?!?!?!?

[move][/move]
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

11-30-2011, 09:40 PM

Just beat it, here's my general thoughts"

This is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses and swordfights in the game are a lot of fun, although it means that there are less enemies in favor of more challenging fights. However, the game is still pretty easy on the first run and the game doesn't have enough punishments for dying or failing a puzzle.

The overworld is a bit disappointing. Where Wind Waker had multiple creative islands, Skyward Sword has only a handful of platforms. There also only one town, which is saddening. There are only three different areas, each containing two dungeons centering around that regions climate and style. The dungeons themselves are fairly short, but there are usually pre-dungeon areas that you must go through to reach them. Boss Fights are vastly improved from the last console Zelda and practically ooze creativity.

As I said earlier, the motion controls work well for the most part. That doesn't mean they don't have issues. The pointer needs to be centered a couple dozen times each play session and you'll likely need to re-calibrate the motion plus two or three times. Even then, some swings are easily misread. Thrusts are near-impossible to do when in a combat situation and require the utmost concentration to pull off, which can be excruciatingly frustrating when an enemy requires such a strike. The nunchuk is very sensitive in the game and is used for two functions; Shield Thrusts and the Spin Attack. On more than one occasion I found myself accidently pulling out my shield when trying to scratch my nose or adjust glasses. My complaints are mostly just nit-picking, but it can be really annoying to die due to a misread swing.

Overall, Skyward Sword is totally worth a purchase at any price. The game is lengthy, filled with that Nintendo-style charm and topped off with some of the best music in the entire Zelda franchise. I hope Nintendo can fix some of the issues in the next game and give us one of the best Zelda's yet.

If anyone is up to do a more in-depth review, I'd be happy to set up a podcast for discussion.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the Harp! It's awful, easily the worst thing about the game. Songs are nonsensical, controls are bad, and Fi is freaking creepy when she starts singing.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

11-30-2011, 09:58 PM

I'd definitely agree.  My distaste for motion controls aside, they work for the most part (Except for the harp aspect, I hate it worse than the wolf howling in TP).  These bosses are really fantastic so far.  All of them have been pretty challenging and it has me looking forward to each new dungeon.  Even some of the minibosses can be a challenge like Stalfos, the 4 Armed Stalfos, and the Lizards, especially when there is more than one and you need to figure out their weakness.

Small question, was the Ancient Cistern dungeon the actual "Water Dungeon" or is there another? Cause if there isn't, I think this one sorta ends that annoying Water Dungeon cycle for these games.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Squishy3
Closet Furry

11-30-2011, 10:29 PM

(11-30-2011, 09:40 PM)Karth link Wrote: Just beat it, here's my general thoughts"

This is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses and swordfights in the game are a lot of fun, although it means that there are less enemies in favor of more challenging fights. However, the game is still pretty easy on the first run and the game doesn't have enough punishments for dying or failing a puzzle.

The overworld is a bit disappointing. Where Wind Waker had multiple creative islands, Skyward Sword has only a handful of platforms. There also only one town, which is saddening. There are only three different areas, each containing two dungeons centering around that regions climate and style. The dungeons themselves are fairly short, but there are usually pre-dungeon areas that you must go through to reach them. Boss Fights are vastly improved from the last console Zelda and practically ooze creativity.

As I said earlier, the motion controls work well for the most part. That doesn't mean they don't have issues. The pointer needs to be centered a couple dozen times each play session and you'll likely need to re-calibrate the motion plus two or three times. Even then, some swings are easily misread. Thrusts are near-impossible to do when in a combat situation and require the utmost concentration to pull off, which can be excruciatingly frustrating when an enemy requires such a strike. The nunchuk is very sensitive in the game and is used for two functions; Shield Thrusts and the Spin Attack. On more than one occasion I found myself accidently pulling out my shield when trying to scratch my nose or adjust glasses. My complaints are mostly just nit-picking, but it can be really annoying to die due to a misread swing.

Overall, Skyward Sword is totally worth a purchase at any price. The game is lengthy, filled with that Nintendo-style charm and topped off with some of the best music in the entire Zelda franchise. I hope Nintendo can fix some of the issues in the next game and give us one of the best Zelda's yet.

If anyone is up to do a more in-depth review, I'd be happy to set up a podcast for discussion.
In my first play-through, I had to recenter maybe 5 times max and never had to recalibrate. In my 2nd playthrough, I haven't had to recenter or recalibrate at all. I have never had problems performing a thrust at all, in combat or not in combat. I have accidentally pulled out my shield, but have never died from it.

(11-30-2011, 09:58 PM)Maxon link Wrote: I'd definitely agree.  My distaste for motion controls aside, they work for the most part (Except for the harp aspect, I hate it worse than the wolf howling in TP).  These bosses are really fantastic so far.  All of them have been pretty challenging and it has me looking forward to each new dungeon.  Even some of the minibosses can be a challenge like Stalfos, the 4 Armed Stalfos, and the Lizards, especially when there is more than one and you need to figure out their weakness.

Small question, was the Ancient Cistern dungeon the actual "Water Dungeon" or is there another? Cause if there isn't, I think this one sorta ends that annoying Water Dungeon cycle for these games.
And yes, the Ancient Cistern is the water dungeon. Also like I said earlier in the thread water dungeon in OoT was only annoying because it didn't show you what switch presses did like it did in every other dungeon. They remedied it in the 3DS version though.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

11-30-2011, 10:48 PM

(11-30-2011, 10:29 PM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=6027.msg231870#msg231870 date=1322707226]

In my first play-through, I had to recenter maybe 5 times max and never had to recalibrate. In my 2nd playthrough, I haven't had to recenter or recalibrate at all. I have never had problems performing a thrust at all, in combat or not in combat. I have accidentally pulled out my shield, but have never died from it.

[/quote]

Seems like everyone is having different experiences when it comes to the motion controls.
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

11-30-2011, 11:20 PM

(11-30-2011, 10:48 PM)Karth link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=6027.msg231877#msg231877 date=1322710177]
[quote author=Karth link=topic=6027.msg231870#msg231870 date=1322707226]

[/quote]

Seems like everyone is having different experiences when it comes to the motion controls.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good discussion for the podcast episode.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

11-30-2011, 11:37 PM

I've had to recenter the controller many times and I'm only on the first flame, it rarely works right on the dialogue box selections, usually taking alot of movement for such a minor thing, though it can be done with the analog stick thankfully.  Stuff like playing the harp makes it the worst musical instrument I've used in the Zelda series, though it does sound better than the annoying howling from TP lol I've had a number of times when slashes don't work quite right, such as stabs being downward slashes or trying to switch sides with the slashes and just repeating the same slash, like it isn't registering right.  Especially so when your trying to be faster with your strikes, which might show a limitation of the motion plus hardware I'm guessing.

It doesn't hamper the game, but it is a noticeable issue.  The shield thing is probably one thing I haven't had happen much to me, but then again, I rarely use the shield lol

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM by Maxon.)
EarthlingJohn
BRB, Posting

12-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm like SQUISHY (fail on my part) here, my wii loves me, and has given me no problems with controls

Also...

THIS GAME JUST FILLS MY HEART WITH RAINBOWS

+If you can read this, you aren't checking your back+
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011, 10:47 PM by EarthlingJohn.)
Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-05-2011, 12:08 AM

That was one hell of a good ending.  Damn good game.

EarthlingJohn
BRB, Posting

12-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Did it fill your heart with rainbows?

+If you can read this, you aren't checking your back+
Squishy3
Closet Furry

12-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Okay, so update on the controls. It really all depends on your lighting and the way the sensor bar is positioned. I have received optimal results with the sensor bar being below the TV, but still being propped up pretty high up so it has a clearer view of the area you're using your remote in, or just above the TV. Fluorescent lighting hasn't ever really agreed with the Wii in general, and nor does track lighting if you have the lights aimed in the general direction of the sensor bar.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-06-2011, 01:15 AM

I had it on the top of the the TV, very little lighting in the room beyond natural light or none at all and some of my stuff could've been me sitting abit low for the sensor, though it should be able to see it just fine.  I couldn't move back any farther if I wanted to right now to see and I'm not standing for hours to play the game lol