Hello There, Guest! Register

Steam Refund
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

12-27-2011, 02:59 AM

Ummm... I guess this topic should go here?  Maybe?  Anyways...

Has anyone here ever gotten a refund for a game on Steam before?  Or know anyone that has?  Or know what the best way to go about it is?

Here's my story:
I went to purchase a 4-pack of Nuclear Dawn today, about 30 mins before the Daily Deal rolled over (mistake).  Steam's servers were going through their normal chugging and smoking that we've all come to expect at this time.  Long story short, I was running into multiple issues and errors trying to make my purchase.  My Steam account transactions listed that a Nuclear Dawn purchase was Pending, but it also still listed it as un-checked out in My Cart.  Needless to say, I was pretty unsure of what that situation meant.  I made a ticket with Steam Support, just asking if they could confirm my purchase or not.  Still had no answer with about 30 mins left in the sale.  I had another friend purchase a 4-pack instead (rather than missing out on the deal), and planned to just get a refund if my Pending order finally went through.  Well, it eventually DID go through a couple hours later, and I'm essentially stuck with 5 copies of Nuclear Dawn, and am hoping to get a refund. 

I've gone through Steam Support's FAQ, and haven't found anything about a refund policy.  Can anyone shed some light?  Much appreciated.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

12-27-2011, 03:02 AM

If they give you a refund, you won't be getting any money back. They'll likely add some the funds to your account and remove the extra copies.
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

12-27-2011, 03:10 AM

(12-27-2011, 03:02 AM)Karthmas link Wrote: If they give you a refund, you won't be getting any money back. They'll likely add some the funds to your account and remove the extra copies.

That actually is not that big of a deal to me.  If they just gave me the equivalent money back into my Steam wallet, I would be fine with that.  I am sure I will have other games to purchase from them in the future.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-27-2011, 07:36 AM

(12-27-2011, 03:10 AM)Black Aspen link Wrote: [quote author=Karthmas link=topic=6152.msg234660#msg234660 date=1324972963]
If they give you a refund, you won't be getting any money back. They'll likely add some the funds to your account and remove the extra copies.

That actually is not that big of a deal to me.  If they just gave me the equivalent money back into my Steam wallet, I would be fine with that.  I am sure I will have other games to purchase from them in the future.
[/quote]

Just email customer service about it, worst comes to worse, you can put the extra copies in your steam inventory and trade them off on tf2outpost or something.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

12-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Did you use your one ultimate support freebie yet?

Steam doesn't normally have a refund policy, but they do have a One-Time Service Gesture rule that basically turns back time for you.

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

12-27-2011, 02:12 PM

it's steam policy not to refund, however that usually contradicts certain local, state and federal laws.  Find out about your state, and be sure to mention that in the your support email asking for a refund.  That's the only time I've seen a steam refund go through. 

Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

12-27-2011, 07:08 PM

(12-27-2011, 01:25 PM)Chronomaster link Wrote: Did you use your one ultimate support freebie yet?

Steam doesn't normally have a refund policy, but they do have a One-Time Service Gesture rule that basically turns back time for you.

Interesting... Interesting.... Any idea how I pull that off?

(12-27-2011, 02:12 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: it's steam policy not to refund, however that usually contradicts certain local, state and federal laws.  Find out about your state, and be sure to mention that in the your support email asking for a refund.  That's the only time I've seen a steam refund go through. 

I'm in Canada, so that might not apply to me.  IMO though, I may have a case here considering A) This was an issue with their purchase processing, not my own mistake or regret B) I'm still going to get a copy of the game, just through other means.

I sent a Steam Support Ticket to them with all the details, but considering that I still haven't gotten a reply from the one I made when I ran into my FIRST error, I don't expect to hear back from them for awhile still.  Thanks for the responses so far, guys.
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

12-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Seems Chrono was onto something.  Here's the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. As with most software products, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client.  As a one-time customer service gesture we can issue you store credit for the amount of your purchase into your Steam Wallet. The credit will also remove the title or item from your account. Please confirm that you would like us to proceed with this credit."