Hello There, Guest! Register

Steam Workshop paid content
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-28-2015, 06:05 PM

(04-25-2015, 11:09 AM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: Does anyone else remember the fiasco of map makers (3-6 months 8-hour days testing, developing, modeling, brushwork, texturing, etc) getting their maps added as DLC to TF2 (while TF2 was still a paid product) and they didn't get a dime, while hat makers made (and still make) a killing on microtransactions for selling their hats (and many of those map makers still haven't seen a dime).

From what I recall, Mangy Carface said he was compensated very well for cp_yukon_final back in the day. I can't find the source (RIP 2f2f forums)  but valve definitely didn't take maps and make them stock without compensating mappers for them, that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

edit: Unless you're just meaning not getting paid for custom maps, and idk why any rando mapper would expect compensation for that. Too many had aids, CP_Mario_Kart 2stronk, etc etc

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Elder
BRB, Posting

05-04-2015, 02:27 AM

There are real pros and cons to this. The modders that make the mods that are good enough that you would actually want to pay for probably could find a job doing that kind of thing if they wanted to. Besides i would never want to try to make my living wage off of doing something like that. You turn out a good mod and it runs its course makes you something then every mod after that you make next to nothing. It would really cause even more bad rifts in an already small and sometimes unstable community. If they want to make something for their work it really needs to be donations like how many youtubers and other content creators use patreon.

There is just no way this is going to get off the ground.

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

05-04-2015, 08:01 AM

(05-04-2015, 02:27 AM)Elder link Wrote: There are real pros and cons to this. The modders that make the mods that are good enough that you would actually want to pay for probably could find a job doing that kind of thing if they wanted to. Besides i would never want to try to make my living wage off of doing something like that. You turn out a good mod and it runs its course makes you something then every mod after that you make next to nothing. It would really cause even more bad rifts in an already small and sometimes unstable community. If they want to make something for their work it really needs to be donations like how many youtubers and other content creators use patreon.

There is just no way this is going to get off the ground.

And again I point out, in numerous places in order to LEGALLY take donations you MUST be registered as a non-profit organization. Which is a fucking headache in a bunch of places often costing more than the donations you may make. Whereas utilizing a pay-wall through a pre-established company as though you are a "contracted employee" is actually less of a headache.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-04-2015, 06:28 PM

Money being the root of the problem again? Entitlement getting in the way of pie-slicing math?

Just let modding be a labour of love like it always have. Attempting to squeeze value out of it cheapens everything about the work. Fan-driven content becomes cash-driven shovelware in the face of greed.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

05-05-2015, 01:40 AM

I'm just pointing out the headaches of taxation in the world we live in. Donated funds have to be seen going to a non-profit in numerous countries

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Elder
BRB, Posting

05-05-2015, 01:49 AM

(05-05-2015, 01:40 AM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: I'm just pointing out the headaches of taxation in the world we live in. Donated funds have to be seen going to a non-profit in numerous countries

I know its actually appalling last time i volunteered it was like i was going through the paperwork for a new job.
I asked why do i have to do all this?
Simple answer so we dont get sued. Bureaucratic nonsense.

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

05-05-2015, 01:51 AM

To point out more accurately. In many countries it is ILLEGAL to accept donations without proof of non-profit.  This was our case for the Stargate mod in the Netherlands.

Nitrous Oxide
Lurker

05-07-2015, 09:15 AM

(05-04-2015, 06:28 PM)Kor link Wrote: Money being the root of the problem again? Entitlement getting in the way of pie-slicing math?

Just let modding be a labour of love like it always have. Attempting to squeeze value out of it cheapens everything about the work. Fan-driven content becomes cash-driven shovelware in the face of greed.
QFT, games like Kerbal Space Program and Cities: Skylines have some of the most amazing modding work I've ever seen, and there was no money needed to incentivise it.