Hello There, Guest! Register

TF Tuesdays 2/24/09 - spider scoots
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

02-25-2009, 05:59 PM

(02-25-2009, 04:48 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=2389.msg68795#msg68795 date=1235584635]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=2389.msg68767#msg68767 date=1235571655]
I both loved and hated the one we played that was the CP map going up the side of a mountain.  Mostly hated because of snipers.

Erosion. Imo it needs a lot of work balance wise because snipers own this map, and classes without mobility get raped hard with all the vertical movement (medic, heavy, engy, pyro to some extent, and spy to some extent, but ESPECIALLY MEDIC). You don't really want a map that's anti-medic. We should definitely look into cp_resonance, I have heard a lot of very good things about it.
[/quote]

No that was Desperado.
[/quote]

Maybe, but "sniper rapes" and "mountain" sounded a bit like Erosion from a week or so ago. Imo it was a really bad map so I wanted to throw my input out there for it.

As for the flag thing for Geoff's map: how does ctf_bball and pro_bball do the hud? Couldn't you just do it like those maps? I don't actually know what the problem is (I'm not the least bit keen on mapping) but I thought throwing that out might help :\

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Geoff
Real World Azn

02-25-2009, 06:03 PM

(02-25-2009, 04:27 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Geoff link=topic=2389.msg68811#msg68811 date=1235594556]
Also, I have an idea on how to fix the hud not working.  I could tie blue and red flags to the neutral flag, on the same Y-axis, but position them way below or above the map.  It should work, I'm not entirely sure though.

The problem is one person can't carry two flags at once (I think), just because a flag changes position does not mean that it necessarily moves on the hud if its tied to a parent. You might be able to tie two invisible flags directly to the main neutral one, sort of like how a func_capture_area is tied to a flag in KTF.
[/quote]

How is that different than what I just said?  The HUD will point a flag no matter what.  If its way below the map, no one can pick it up.  The HUD will point to the flag, but won't tell you if its away or taken.

I did find an article about it on tf2maps, but the entity set up is  :o

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Enjoy

cp_freight
ctf_impact2
cp_gravelpit
pl_swift
cp_switchback_b5
ctf_2fort
pl_badwater
cp_labor
pl_waste_b3
cp_egypt_final
cp_warpath2

Norad will get tacked on when I get a compile of it

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

02-25-2009, 07:38 PM

(02-25-2009, 07:21 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Enjoy

cp_freight
ctf_impact2
cp_gravelpit
pl_swift
cp_switchback_b5
ctf_2fort
pl_badwater
cp_labor
pl_waste_b3
cp_egypt_final
cp_warpath2

The last point of Egypt is awful for Blue

Aerox

02-25-2009, 08:05 PM

(02-25-2009, 12:57 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Erosion. Imo it needs a lot of work balance wise because snipers own this map, and classes without mobility get raped hard with all the vertical movement (medic, heavy, engy, pyro to some extent, and spy to some extent, but ESPECIALLY MEDIC). You don't really want a map that's anti-medic. We should definitely look into cp_resonance, I have heard a lot of very good things about it.

Assuming we're talking about the same map (the awesome Pueblo-y 3 point cap one), I'd like to disagree about the snipers, which sounds ridiculous because I know that I was having a shitton of fun headshotting everyone in sight.  I think it's just one of those maps that needs to be learned; there are TONS of buildings, tunnels, side entrances, passages, and blind spots that you can duck around in.  Defenders have an easier time sniping than attackers, but there are a number of paths the attackers can take to get to the points that can keep you pretty much completely obscured from a sniper sitting at the very top area.  Additionally, the top part of the map the defenders snipe from is pretty much visible from anywhere on the map, which means they have a lot more area to cover, which makes it pretty easy for a counter sniper to just pop out and nail them.

On the attacker side, they have an easy shot to A, but B and C are extremely difficult to get line of sight into the point.  Part of the problems the defenders were having is they were just bounding straight down the hill right in the open spot to go after people instead of taking the ladders, side tunnels, or the C tower path down.  If you're careful, you can generally stay out of sniper sight, you just have to learn the map.

I really liked it overall; I guess my one complaint would be that because it's so vertical the engineer seemed somewhat useless to me, but then again for all I know there could be a ton of sentry/teleporter spots we didn't think of using.  I don't know how the vertical movement stuff affects classes like medic and stuff since I only played sniper and soldier, but I imagine that's just encouragement for teleporters, and there's a ton of places to stick them that can be really hard to find.
Geoff
Real World Azn

02-25-2009, 08:24 PM

(02-25-2009, 07:21 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Enjoy

CP_DUSTBOWL
cp_freight
ctf_impact2
cp_gravelpit
pl_swift
cp_switchback_b5
ctf_2fort
pl_badwater
cp_labor
pl_waste_b3
cp_egypt_final
cp_warpath2

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

02-25-2009, 09:16 PM

(02-25-2009, 08:05 PM)Aerox link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=2389.msg68795#msg68795 date=1235584635]
Erosion. Imo it needs a lot of work balance wise because snipers own this map, and classes without mobility get raped hard with all the vertical movement (medic, heavy, engy, pyro to some extent, and spy to some extent, but ESPECIALLY MEDIC). You don't really want a map that's anti-medic. We should definitely look into cp_resonance, I have heard a lot of very good things about it.

Assuming we're talking about the same map (the awesome Pueblo-y 3 point cap one), I'd like to disagree about the snipers, which sounds ridiculous because I know that I was having a shitton of fun headshotting everyone in sight.  I think it's just one of those maps that needs to be learned; there are TONS of buildings, tunnels, side entrances, passages, and blind spots that you can duck around in.  Defenders have an easier time sniping than attackers, but there are a number of paths the attackers can take to get to the points that can keep you pretty much completely obscured from a sniper sitting at the very top area.  Additionally, the top part of the map the defenders snipe from is pretty much visible from anywhere on the map, which means they have a lot more area to cover, which makes it pretty easy for a counter sniper to just pop out and nail them.

On the attacker side, they have an easy shot to A, but B and C are extremely difficult to get line of sight into the point.  Part of the problems the defenders were having is they were just bounding straight down the hill right in the open spot to go after people instead of taking the ladders, side tunnels, or the C tower path down.  If you're careful, you can generally stay out of sniper sight, you just have to learn the map.

I really liked it overall; I guess my one complaint would be that because it's so vertical the engineer seemed somewhat useless to me, but then again for all I know there could be a ton of sentry/teleporter spots we didn't think of using.  I don't know how the vertical movement stuff affects classes like medic and stuff since I only played sniper and soldier, but I imagine that's just encouragement for teleporters, and there's a ton of places to stick them that can be really hard to find.
[/quote]

Yes the map is called Desperado.  And while I don't think it's OP for Snipers, it is really big and hard to get to the last point without a teleporter, except there is no safe place for a teleporter because it takes a spy 5 seconds to hop down to the spawn and destroy it.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

02-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Is waste a good idea?

I mean, it's a pretty big download, and it's been proven a server killer. Not like a steel server killer, but close.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-25-2009, 10:21 PM

(02-25-2009, 09:35 PM)Ye Salty Karth link Wrote: Is waste a good idea?

I mean, it's a pretty big download, and it's been proven a server killer. Not like a steel server killer, but close.

We'll how it goes, Ive run stupider rotations with larger downloads before  Tongue

Sig by Joel
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

02-25-2009, 11:17 PM

(02-25-2009, 08:05 PM)Aerox link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=2389.msg68795#msg68795 date=1235584635]

[/quote]

not the same map. erosion was a really bad 5-pt cp

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Aerox

02-26-2009, 12:33 AM

(02-25-2009, 11:17 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: not the same map. erosion was a really bad 5-pt cp

Ah, disregard then.

I like Desperado.
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

02-26-2009, 01:00 AM

I liked both maps :V. Erosion was nicely designed at the very least.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-27-2009, 06:10 AM

Final Compile of norad is now up - get it here

Its after warpath on the rotation

Sig by Joel
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

02-27-2009, 09:44 AM

(02-27-2009, 06:10 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Final Compile of norad is now up - get it here

0 chance of pubs downloading it then

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-27-2009, 09:57 AM

(02-27-2009, 09:44 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=2389.msg69109#msg69109 date=1235733017]
Final Compile of norad is now up - get it here

0 chance of pubs downloading it then
[/quote]

Better chance of a full warpath server downloading it as opposed to 2fort, fucking stock scrubs just hit cancel any time they might have to, god forbid, wait a few minutes to get some new content.

Sig by Joel