Hello There, Guest! Register

FNF/TFT - Feedback And Suggestions
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Not the biggest fan of low gravity. Talking with HeK about it this morning and I think we're both of the opinion that its fun... for like five minutes, and then it just gets kinda "meh"
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-04-2008, 01:39 PM

We can't do lowgrav, source has this wierd bug where if you set low grav, it works for the players, but not the projectiles.

So lets say we do orange_x

We set gravity to 200

People fly around, fun is had by all, but things like demo pipes are on 800, not 200

Then we go back to lets just say 2fort

Set gravity back to 800, the default

Now projectiles like the demos pipes are on 200 gravity, but people are on 800

Source is weird like that, the effect wont go away until you change maps again

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-04-2008, 01:41 PM

(08-04-2008, 09:55 AM)Kyrie Sutra FRICK link Wrote: I do not know how anyone else feels about this but I would not mind one map being regularly set to low gravity. My husband and I like it because it is a different style of fighting. Yes it takes some getting used to but being able to jump up in the air has a heavy and mow down half the team is always pretty fun. It is also great for snipers unfortunately. Most people that try it and take the time to learn it actually end up liking it.

I keep forgetting the name of it, but there was this really fun CTF map based on an Unreal Tournament one, that, since it's set in space, was set to low gravity. It was Sniper heaven, and completly unsuitable for regular play, but it was really really fun. Space-Stickiejumps were amazing!

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-04-2008, 01:43 PM

(08-04-2008, 01:41 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: [quote author=Kyrie Sutra FRICK link=topic=27.msg27341#msg27341 date=1217861739]
I do not know how anyone else feels about this but I would not mind one map being regularly set to low gravity. My husband and I like it because it is a different style of fighting. Yes it takes some getting used to but being able to jump up in the air has a heavy and mow down half the team is always pretty fun. It is also great for snipers unfortunately. Most people that try it and take the time to learn it actually end up liking it.

I keep forgetting the name of it, but there was this really fun CTF map based on an Unreal Tournament one, that, since it's set in space, was set to low gravity. It was Sniper heaven, and completly unsuitable for regular play, but it was really really fun. Space-Stickiejumps were amazing!
[/quote]

ctf_face, based on facing worlds in UT.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Budr

08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

(08-04-2008, 01:43 PM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link=topic=27.msg27413#msg27413 date=1217875297]
[quote author=Kyrie Sutra FRICK link=topic=27.msg27341#msg27341 date=1217861739]
I do not know how anyone else feels about this but I would not mind one map being regularly set to low gravity. My husband and I like it because it is a different style of fighting. Yes it takes some getting used to but being able to jump up in the air has a heavy and mow down half the team is always pretty fun. It is also great for snipers unfortunately. Most people that try it and take the time to learn it actually end up liking it.

[/quote]

ctf_face, based on facing worlds in UT.
[/quote]

Linky

I normally hate low grav but I agree with Pig Mask, it was very fun on this map. Also, orange_x.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-08-2008, 03:47 PM

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/61940

TC_Meridian - looks promising.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

08-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=27.msg28874#msg28874 date=1218228446]
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/61940

TC_Meridian - looks promising.
k, do fucking want.

ribozyme
Lurker

01-19-2009, 12:07 AM

As I agree with some of the sentiment that neglect of this thread has lead to the percieved decline in TFT/FNF quality, I'll try and breathe a little life back into it.

First, I think Karrde was right on the money when he said this:
Quote:« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 07:23:40 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, what about this?

TFT - More SRS business.  We test maps like normal and do pickups.  Teamtalk and nocrits for pickups.  Actually play hard on recognized and known good maps.  Not like we can't have fun, but serious hard play can be fun from time to time.  If people want to, maybe we can do an RPS as well.

FNF - IZ PARTY TIEM NAO!  Birthday mode optional.  No map testing unless there's a fun new map out there IE Donkey Kong.  RPS, No class limits (don't be dicks though), goofing off, silly videos, etc.  We can do low grav melee fights on chaos, RPS, team stack towers, heavy taunt showdowns, and general asshattery.  Ya know, brbu style.

Other than that, if you want to get things up and running during the week, do it, don't go somewhere else.  Seed the server and invite your list.  I usually can get things hopping in 30 min or less (failing when steam fucks up like it did mid invite spam last time...)  I really don't want brbu to go down because you're the funniest bunch of asshats out there.

Basically, test out some new maps and get some good games in on Tuesday and make Friday mostly laid-back and about the lulz.

As for the rest of the week, I never have felt like the rotation/rtv has really hit its stride.  The way I envision it would be like this: 15+ decidely good maps on rotation that are tweaked from time to time (maybe once a month) and then maybe 4 or 5 more maps that change on a more regular basis.  Spore (<3) will agree with me when I say that there are a lot of interesting maps that we play once during TFT/FNF and then never see again.  I think when we encounter a good map (not neccessarily a Valve-quality-omg-this-has-gotta-go-on-rotation map but a map that got positive feedback when we played it) it should get a spot in the rotation for a time.  This would go a long way towards keeping the game/server fresh.

I also agree with people that say the appeal of TFT/FNF has always been just having a time to all play together and have a good time.  If nothing else this is what TFT/FNF should strive to do.  I realize that the game has been out over a year now and I admit it isn't as exhilerating as it was when it first came out, but I can still have a ton of fun playing it and as long as there is a fun bunch of people to play with I'll still play.

I am kinda curious as to what caff/scotty/some of the other people who have been here since the beginning think of what this place has become.  I know it was just started as a way to play some TF2, but it has obviously expanded and will continue to expand as long as there are kind, caring, and dedicated people here.

AAAAAANYWAY, got off the topic of this thread a bit, but hopefully you guys will read this and tell me what you think.  I've got a few more things I could say about TFT/FNF, but I've probably written enough for now.

/walloftext 

[Image: Pokemon_Fortress_2_by_Crystal124.jpg]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

01-19-2009, 06:00 AM

(01-19-2009, 12:07 AM)ribozyme link Wrote: I am kinda curious as to what caff/scotty/some of the other people who have been here since the beginning think of what this place has become.  I know it was just started as a way to play some TF2, but it has obviously expanded and will continue to expand as long as there are kind, caring, and dedicated people here.

(Space Reserved for reply when Im not tired after just getting up)

Sig by Joel
Vlambo
BRB, Posting

01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Wacky Races on Rotation, plain and simple
rumsfald

01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

(01-19-2009, 06:00 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: (Space Reserved for reply when Im not tired after just getting up)

(Space Reserved for mocking caff's post).
Geoff
Real World Azn

01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

I can agree with Ribo.  I like to play at this server, CalculatedChaos.  There server is pretty much always full, and fun.  Their rotation is not based on the quality of the map, but more of the fun factor. 

Perhaps we can alter our rotation a wee bit to have some fun but not necessarily well done maps on there?  That's just my opinion though.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

01-19-2009, 12:23 PM

(01-19-2009, 11:40 AM)Geoff link Wrote: I can agree with Ribo.  I like to play at this server, CalculatedChaos.  There server is pretty much always full, and fun.  Their rotation is not based on the quality of the map, but more of the fun factor. 

Perhaps we can alter our rotation a wee bit to have some fun but not necessarily well done maps on there?  That's just my opinion though.

pl_awesome is not going in the rotation geoff

Geoff
Real World Azn

01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

(01-19-2009, 12:23 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Geoff link=topic=27.msg62102#msg62102 date=1232383257]
I can agree with Ribo.  I like to play at this server, CalculatedChaos.  There server is pretty much always full, and fun.  Their rotation is not based on the quality of the map, but more of the fun factor. 

pl_awesome is not going in the rotation geoff
[/quote]

stfu dave, I'm saying we've played plenty of fun maps before and we haven't added them because they weren't the greatest.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
bjlsurfer
Lurker

01-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Is server 2 still being wonky or is it fix'd now?  Because i think the way it should work is #1 can be fun, customs, etc. and #2, already being noCrits can be the srs bzns server, with stock and some solid customs like mach4, stag, freight, etc.  It should work that way during the week, and on FNF- the people who are complaining FNF isn't fun anymore can get their lulz on #1, and the people who claim those other people are asshats can play on #2, and people can switch betwixt the two for the best of both. 

I also think playing a different game or mod every once and a while on fridays would help keep things fresh.

And leave TFT for srs play and map testing. 
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

01-19-2009, 01:51 PM

(01-19-2009, 01:23 PM)Beej link Wrote: Is server 2 still being wonky or is it fix'd now?  Because i think the way it should work is #1 can be fun, customs, etc. and #2, already being noCrits can be the srs bzns server, with stock and some solid customs like mach4, stag, freight, etc.  It should work that way during the week, and on FNF- the people who are complaining FNF isn't fun anymore can get their lulz on #1, and the people who claim those other people are asshats can play on #2, and people can switch betwixt the two for the best of both. 

I also think playing a different game or mod every once and a while on fridays would help keep things fresh.

And leave TFT for srs play and map testing. 

I'm not making #1 lulz map rotation, #2 was getting hit by the time out on map change bug hardcore, but in the few recent experiences Ive had playing on it, its been alright. #2 is ultimately duck's decision since its his box.

Right now #1 has a solid Stock+Customs rotation, Ive removed the voting at end map, and rtv has a list of about 45 or so maps it draws from, so there's a lot of diversity there if you want to vote to something. "Fun" is purely a speculative thing, I find science2 fun, some of you don't, but I'm not going to force people to play it by sticking it on rotation, we've learned that lesson the hard way. The converse goes for what you consider "shittily made fun maps".

I still need to update the voting list on #1 based on some of the previous week's TFT/FNF additions, such as add wacky races to voting, which I still haven't done. If you want to play that stuff feel free to vote for it, that way the maps are dictated more by the preference of whomever is actually playing at the time rather than an arbitrary list.

If I recall correctly the current rotation includes (not in order):

dustbowl
goldrush
badwater
stag
mach4
freight
labor

There may be one missing off that list, and I think I might add on gravelpit

Sig by Joel
Dave

01-19-2009, 01:56 PM

solid rotation, only thing i dont like is mach4, but im not complaining.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

01-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Freight is known to be extremely CPU intensive for whatever reason and tends to lag servers. #2 isn't capable of running it without people warping around, so there's no way I'll put it on there. I remember last night on #1 there were a few complaints about it lagging with a full 24 people, maybe look into it and if it persists swap it for something else?

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

01-19-2009, 02:20 PM

First I'll go into what happened last Friday. I never did apologize for the fail that did happen. Given how many times I've been asked by different people to put pl_awesome back on, I was quite surprised by a nearly unanimous rejection of it almost immediately. Of course this coupled with the downloading issues (which I still am unsure about and do apologize for) didn't help matters.

I have been thinking for the last few weeks that FNF does need a retooling. I definitely have no plans on cancelling it, and have been reading all of your feedback (all of which is appreciated btw <3). I've seen some good ideas I hadn't thought of and will compile them into a list to discuss with the other admins. I do want to address one thing previously brought up though:

I understand it isn't quite the same without "the old gang", but see this as a perfect opportunity to bring new people into the fold. Be friendly to new people, make them feel welcome. Get them in on jokes and good times. As long as I have a say in things we will never condone an elitist attitude. When I started playing on this server (back when it was a destructoid server) I recognized a few names from Destructoid and that was about it. I was still new to that community and I didn't know anybody, yet people were cool and above all else NOT ELITIST so I stuck around. That "toaster" TF2 server we used to make fun of? While they weren't necessarily dicks to new people, they weren't terribly welcoming and really only intended to play with their group of friends. Now after at least two attempts that server no longer exists. Heck, some of you came over here from other places because if there is one thing we've done right, it's discourage elitism.

If the first batch of us that played on the server were elitist, the vast majority of you wouldn't be here. Please remember that. Once we depend on the same people to keep fnf/tft/etc going week after week we might as well pack things in.

IIRC when I first started on this server I don't even think there were reserve slots. It was just a mad dash to get back in once the server was locked up. Every week there were at least a few "regulars" that didn't get in, and had to patiently wait for their chance. That's why we grew to 2 and eventually 3 servers, so regulars who couldn't get into #1 would have fallbacks where they could still play together. That's why we started posting "how to join in #1 while playing on another server" instructions in the tft/fnf posts, and why the reserve slots plugin (which I think too many people take for granted these days) was ultimately created.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Dave

01-19-2009, 02:38 PM

cull the reserved slots list
admins only.