Hello There, Guest! Register

TIMS SNIPER UPDATE MEGATHREAD BOOOURNS!
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

05-14-2009, 05:11 PM

Um yeah, the SMG was basically useless... this is a get out of jail free card for most Snipers now.  The mobility reduction doesn't mean squat for a sniper that would actually benefit from this.  Oh well, I guess you just have to pistol them to death now.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Kenny Strife
Lurker

05-14-2009, 05:23 PM

The big thing with the Razorback is that it only works once, and then it breaks.  Otherwise, I'd be crying foul.  Now, if you can see whether or not the Razorback is equipped, that'll be the gamebreaker.  If you can see it, then it becomes useless.  Spies will simply line up a headshot with the revolver.  If they can't see it, then the Razorback will be nice.  Even if the spy panics after the failstab, so long as he either switches to the revolver or cloaks and runs away, then he'll be fine. 

I think it'll mainly be good for snipers that prefer to keep with the rifle, out of battle.

[Image: nicetochildren.jpg]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

05-14-2009, 05:47 PM

(05-14-2009, 05:23 PM)Kenny Strife link Wrote: The big thing with the Razorback is that it only works once, and then it breaks.  Otherwise, I'd be crying foul.  Now, if you can see whether or not the Razorback is equipped, that'll be the gamebreaker.  If you can see it, then it becomes useless.  Spies will simply line up a headshot with the revolver.  If they can't see it, then the Razorback will be nice.  Even if the spy panics after the failstab, so long as he either switches to the revolver or cloaks and runs away, then he'll be fine. 

I think it'll mainly be good for snipers that prefer to keep with the rifle, out of battle.

Why would you shoot someone in the head with the revolver?

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
fyre
BRB, Posting

05-14-2009, 05:54 PM

(05-14-2009, 05:47 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=Kenny Strife link=topic=2859.msg82679#msg82679 date=1242339780]
The big thing with the Razorback is that it only works once, and then it breaks.  Otherwise, I'd be crying foul.  Now, if you can see whether or not the Razorback is equipped, that'll be the gamebreaker.  If you can see it, then it becomes useless.  Spies will simply line up a headshot with the revolver.  If they can't see it, then the Razorback will be nice.  Even if the spy panics after the failstab, so long as he either switches to the revolver or cloaks and runs away, then he'll be fine. 

Why would you shoot someone in the head with the revolver?
[/quote]

Why would you not?
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

05-14-2009, 05:57 PM

(05-14-2009, 05:11 PM)Wedge link Wrote: this is a get out of jail free card for most Snipers now.  The mobility reduction doesn't mean squat for a sniper that would actually benefit from this. 

I already like this update. The bow was one thing..but this to prevent constant spy stabbing?

Thank you Jesus, Buddha, and Tom Cruise.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

05-14-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm not liking the idea of this shield.
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

05-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=2859.msg82655#msg82655 date=1242336533]
TBH if a sniper is using it, just revolver him.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

How long does it take to shoot 3 times on an almost immobile sniper?
Even if he's not scoping, the item itself will slow the sniper.

This unlockable makes you somewhat less vulnerable to spies... and somewhat more vulnerable to everything (including spies...).
Kind of... useless.
Just like the bow's pinning ability.

By the way...
(05-14-2009, 05:03 PM)Honest link Wrote: On the other hand, the down sides they've mentioned (Losing SMG, slower movement speed)
Where did you read this?

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

05-14-2009, 07:34 PM

(05-14-2009, 07:23 PM)Benito Mussolini link Wrote: [quote author=[fr31ns]Karrde link=topic=2859.msg82655#msg82655 date=1242336533]

This unlockable makes you somewhat less vulnerable to spies... and somewhat more vulnerable to everything (including spies...).
Kind of... useless.

By the way...
(05-14-2009, 05:03 PM)Honest link Wrote: On the other hand, the down sides they've mentioned (Losing SMG, slower movement speed)
Where did you read this?
[/quote]

They didn't mention it anywhere, but I thinks it's a fair assumption given where all the other non-weapon unlockables have gone.  That and replacing the SMG with a weapon that could actually kill people would be all kind of broken.

backfire
Uninstalling

05-14-2009, 07:37 PM

(05-14-2009, 07:34 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=Benito Mussolini link=topic=2859.msg82728#msg82728 date=1242347014]
[quote author=[fr31ns]Karrde link=topic=2859.msg82655#msg82655 date=1242336533]

Kind of... useless.

By the way...
Where did you read this?
[/quote]

They didn't mention it anywhere, but I thinks it's a fair assumption given where all the other non-weapon unlockables have gone.  That and replacing the SMG with a weapon that could actually kill people would be all kind of broken.
[/quote]
There is always that chance that it won't actually replace anything but just act as an equipable item. It really works in itself (slower, but protects against one backstab). Possible? Yes. Plausible? Perhaps. Will I laugh at snipers who think their safe only to be 3 shotted by a spy? Definatly.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lurker

05-14-2009, 07:54 PM

(05-14-2009, 05:03 PM)Honest link Wrote: (Losing SMG, slower movement speed)

this is a lot to lose
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

05-14-2009, 07:59 PM

(05-14-2009, 07:54 PM)JoKeRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR link Wrote: [quote author=Honest link=topic=2859.msg82674#msg82674 date=1242338605]
(Losing SMG, slower movement speed)

this is a lot to lose
[/quote]

Oh who SMGs, really. Movement speed, eh. Depends on the map Snipers either move around a lot or not at all. Actually it depends on the Sniper, but just like with the scout these updates aren't going to help people who are actually good at the class. So good sniper moves a lot, bad sniper gets a free pass against spies.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Vlambo
BRB, Posting

05-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Did anyone else see the gun lieing beside the spy. Seems pretty golden LOLOLOL SPECULATION
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

05-14-2009, 08:25 PM

(05-14-2009, 08:21 PM)Vlambo link Wrote: Did anyone else see the gun lieing beside the spy. Seems pretty golden LOLOLOL SPECULATION

OMG THE SPY IS GETTING A REVOLVER.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
fyre
BRB, Posting

05-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:But then a funny thing happened. It’s controversial, various Steam forumites absolutely adamant the whole thing is a hoax perpetrated by a photoshopping mischievous few, but a number of people are reporting (and posting screen grabs as proof) that for about ten minutes earlier today, a Spy appeared behind the Sniper on the update page. You can see the full thing here.

The hot hot speculation on the Valve forums is that the Sniper update may well be concealing a potential simultaneous Spy update. Because if the Spy is uncloaking behind the Sniper, then perhaps the dead Spy body on the ground is a feigned death decoy type thing.

[Image: sniper3-2.jpg]

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/...more-11578

sarcasticsteve
BRB, Posting

05-14-2009, 08:29 PM

I am more interested in this duel payload gaming that they are coming out with in conjunction to the sniper update.  As for the new unlockables, its already been said but is worth repeating: The core weapons are what help you build skill, and anyone who is already a decent sniper will not need a backstab pass, or the ability to pin your enemies to the wall (no matter how entertaining that might be). 

Now let us all pray for the piss jar as the final unlockable...

[Image: style3,Sarcastic-spc-Steve.png]
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

05-14-2009, 09:00 PM

(05-14-2009, 08:25 PM)fyre link Wrote:
Quote:But then a funny thing happened. It’s controversial, various Steam forumites absolutely adamant the whole thing is a hoax perpetrated by a photoshopping mischievous few, but a number of people are reporting (and posting screen grabs as proof) that for about ten minutes earlier today, a Spy appeared behind the Sniper on the update page. You can see the full thing here.

The hot hot speculation on the Valve forums is that the Sniper update may well be concealing a potential simultaneous Spy update. Because if the Spy is uncloaking behind the Sniper, then perhaps the dead Spy body on the ground is a feigned death decoy type thing.

[Image: sniper3-2.jpg]

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/...more-11578

Heh, doubt it's real, but if so that be beyond amazing XD

Blues
BRB, Posting

05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

To the people raging about it (so basically Honest), shut up. It will do nothing except mean snipers feel even SAFER from spies than they already obliviously do, and make killing them all the easier.

The SMG is the same as the needlegun or revolver, useless when flailed. However, the sniper counters (spies, scouts) go down quick and easy if you actually aim the thing, and now these morons will have no real ranged weapon against the spy/scout shooting them down from outside the kuri range. Because seriously, if they are using this thing, they are NOT good enough to snipe at close range.

Basically, a useless update for anyone who wanted inventive unlockables for the Sniper, and a boon to everyone else. I had hoped that I could start playing Sniper more often, but with this, I'm done with that idea.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM by Blues.)
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

05-14-2009, 09:27 PM

A simultaneous spy update????

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Does that thing replace the kukuri or the SMG?

If its the melee replacement, very fair and good trade off, and its not like 3 revolver shots wont make you toast anyway

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Kenny Strife
Lurker

05-14-2009, 10:45 PM

(05-14-2009, 05:47 PM)Wedge link Wrote: Why would you shoot someone in the head with the revolver?

Irony.  I play Spy a good bit, and I'd love to "LOL HEADSHOT" a sniper, just for fun.

I don't know about this update, though.  This could potentially change the entire sniper game, depending on the last last update and how the pinning works.  Let's say that if the arrow doesn't kill you, it knocks you into the nearest wall and holds you there for a few seconds.  Yeah, big loss of range and such, but that would make snipers even more annoying.   One could jump out from behind a corner, pin you to a wall, and then beat you like a pinata with their kukri.  That'd piss me off way more than a simple headshot.  And Valve hinted that the Razorback might do damage to a failstabbing spy.  Sure, you can only use it once, but that would make it a fairly even match between the sniper and the spy.  If the sniper's got to get in closer to the fight to be effective with these new weapons, they wouldn't particularly need a rock/paper/scissors counter like the spy's super easy backstab anymore.  Since the sniper would no longer be standing halfway across the map, they'd be a lot less safe from, well, everyone else.

If it doesn't work like that, though, this could be a very useless update.

What I'm hoping for, at least, is that the update items will lessen the learning curve.  I don't love the scout update items, but I have to say they helped me learn scouting a lot better than I had been pre-update.

EDIT:  I realize, though, that not EVERY arrow will nail a player to the scenery, but still, I used that since it's the unique property of the Huntsman.

[Image: nicetochildren.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM by Kenny Strife.)