Hello There, Guest! Register

New Demo Format Coming Soon
backfire
Uninstalling

07-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Fresh off the Steamforums which took it fresh from an interview with Robin Walker.

Quote:TFPortal.de: In an E-Mail you mentioned a new demo type / format which you are developing. Many players have broken demo files after downloading new updates. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Robin Walker: It's getting close to being releasable in a beta form. The idea is that after you die or finish a round, and it was a round you were particularly happy with (maybe you scored an awesome kill, or saved the entire team with an ubercharge), you can ask the server to send you a demo of it. The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw, and it's in a format that's robust and won't break as easily when we update the game. In addition, the format has a some side benefits, like supporting full backwards & forwards time scrubbing.

Take that halo...

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
SAVAGE-0
BRB, Posting

07-07-2009, 08:18 AM

thats sick... hopw the file isnt too huge though... wonder how much resources it sucks outta the server too.

trust me... I'm a 2L
Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

07-07-2009, 08:26 AM

can you still record like normal? because source tv demos look like trash for say sniper shots. they dont look accurate at all

Neonie
The Alphabet has 24 Letters

07-07-2009, 08:39 AM

(07-07-2009, 08:07 AM)backfire link Wrote: Fresh off the Steamforums which took it fresh from an interview with Robin Walker.

TFPortal.de Wrote:TFPortal.de: In an E-Mail you mentioned a new demo type / format which you are developing. Many players have broken demo files after downloading new updates. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Robin Walker: It's getting close to being releasable in a beta form. The idea is that after you die or finish a round, and it was a round you were particularly happy with (maybe you scored an awesome kill, or saved the entire team with an ubercharge), you can ask the server to send you a demo of it. The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw, and it's in a format that's robust and won't break as easily when we update the game. In addition, the format has a some side benefits, like supporting full backwards & forwards time scrubbing.

Take that halo...

What do you mean take that Halo? That's EXACTLY what Halo does...

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

07-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Id be more concerned about excess load on the server creating and sending these demos to players

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

07-07-2009, 09:09 AM

(07-07-2009, 08:39 AM)Neonie-Sensei link Wrote: [quote author=backfire link=topic=3225.msg95238#msg95238 date=1246972022]
Fresh off the Steamforums which took it fresh from an interview with Robin Walker.

TFPortal.de Wrote:TFPortal.de: In an E-Mail you mentioned a new demo type / format which you are developing. Many players have broken demo files after downloading new updates. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Take that halo...

[/quote]

Well it's not TF2 so take -that- Halo.

Also fucking sweet, I wonder if it can record voices or if that'd get too excessive.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

07-07-2009, 09:13 AM

sweet  :o
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

07-07-2009, 09:29 AM

(07-07-2009, 08:39 AM)Neonie-Sensei link Wrote: [quote author=backfire link=topic=3225.msg95238#msg95238 date=1246972022]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

No it's not. Halo is recorded client-side, and there's no forward and backwards time scrubbing. I hope there's an option to disable the feature since as far as I know even STV causes server framerates to drop. Still an amazing feature for match servers though

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM by copulatingduck.)
Neonie

07-07-2009, 09:33 AM

(07-07-2009, 09:29 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95241#msg95241 date=1246973953]
[quote author=backfire link=topic=3225.msg95238#msg95238 date=1246972022]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

No it's not. Halo is recorded client-side, and there's no backwards time scrubbing. That's a pretty big deal since most developers find the backwards bit to be the hard part (most don't bother with it). That said, I hope there's an option to disable the feature since as far as I know even STV causes server framerates to drop. Still an amazing feature for match servers though
[/quote]

I'm actually not sure what time scrubbing is. I know it has this: "The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw". Which is what I was referring to being exactly like Halo.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-07-2009, 09:37 AM

(07-07-2009, 09:33 AM)Neonie-Sensei link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=3225.msg95250#msg95250 date=1246976945]
[quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95241#msg95241 date=1246973953]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

No it's not. Halo is recorded client-side, and there's no backwards time scrubbing. That's a pretty big deal since most developers find the backwards bit to be the hard part (most don't bother with it). That said, I hope there's an option to disable the feature since as far as I know even STV causes server framerates to drop. Still an amazing feature for match servers though
[/quote]

I'm actually not sure what time scrubbing is. I know it has this: "The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw". Which is what I was referring to being exactly like Halo.
[/quote]Time scrubbing == actually having fast forward and rewind butans work?

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Neonie

07-07-2009, 09:39 AM

(07-07-2009, 09:37 AM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95251#msg95251 date=1246977209]
[quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=3225.msg95250#msg95250 date=1246976945]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They have that in Halo too Tongue

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-07-2009, 09:42 AM

(07-07-2009, 09:39 AM)Neonie-Sensei link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=3225.msg95254#msg95254 date=1246977451]
[quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95251#msg95251 date=1246977209]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
HALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALO
[/quote]Die in a fucking fire, I'm not talking about fucking HALO, I'm talking about the fucking announcement and the debate  about WTF time-scrubbing is.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM by at0m.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-07-2009, 09:44 AM

double post FTL

Neonie

07-07-2009, 09:48 AM

(07-07-2009, 09:42 AM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95256#msg95256 date=1246977565]
[quote author=at0m link=topic=3225.msg95254#msg95254 date=1246977451]
[quote author=Neonie-Sensei link=topic=3225.msg95251#msg95251 date=1246977209]

Take that halo...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
HALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALOHALO
[/quote]Die in a fucking fire, I'm not talking about fucking HALO, I'm talking about the fucking announcement and the debate  about WTF time-scrubbing is.
[/quote]

Lol rage much?

Radio Raheem
BRB, Posting

07-07-2009, 10:27 AM

haha did you just rage so hard you double posted? NICE

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

07-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Time scrubbing

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Blues
BRB, Posting

07-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Did at0m just rage himself into a double post? DO HO HO HO GOOD THING THAT

IM2GUEWD

FOR DOUBLE POSTING

and Halo, because it sucks dick.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

07-07-2009, 03:35 PM

halo doesnt time scrub
this new thing for tf2 supposedly does
nuff said

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
WTF Joel
Whacker of SGs

07-07-2009, 05:52 PM

everything > Halo

(11-04-2008, 09:06 PM)Surf314 link Wrote:Joel isn't just a furry he is the furry.  He's like the furry king.  Most here are his subjects.

(05-14-2009, 01:35 PM)Vlambo link Wrote:I thought it was gonna be Every White Person vs Joel

backfire
Uninstalling

07-07-2009, 05:56 PM

(07-07-2009, 05:52 PM)Metal Lemur Solid link Wrote: everything > Halo

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2