Hello There, Guest! Register

The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-19-2012, 07:46 PM

@Heavy: I know my biggest complaint was simply lack of communication outside the server itself regarding changes being made to the server. I understand you guys have always had your thing, although even looking at your forums they don't appear to have much MC discussion, but the apparent lack of engagement with the BRBu community - combined with the 'well i'm paying for it so i'm going to do what i want, but goddamnit why aren't you guys chipping in' mentality - really drove me away from using the server. Hell, I even threw Demon a whole month's worth of server fees, and I didn't get an acknowledgement, a thank you, or even the admin privileges I was promised. Not cool, yo.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
heavyrocker1989
Lurker

06-19-2012, 08:56 PM

(06-19-2012, 07:46 PM)at0m link Wrote: @Heavy: I know my biggest complaint was simply lack of communication outside the server itself regarding changes being made to the server. I understand you guys have always had your thing, although even looking at your forums they don't appear to have much MC discussion, but the apparent lack of engagement with the BRBu community - combined with the 'well i'm paying for it so i'm going to do what i want, but goddamnit why aren't you guys chipping in' mentality - really drove me away from using the server. Hell, I even threw Demon a whole month's worth of server fees, and I didn't get an acknowledgement, a thank you, or even the admin privileges I was promised. Not cool, yo.

Our failreactor forums have nothing to do about minecraft, we talked about those things in person, on irc, or on mumble on a few occasions, possibly skype i think as well. you are always more than welcome to join us in that channel on gamesurge. And i agree the lack of communication was an issue, we mainly talked in game or amongst admins.

As far as the  "i'm paying for it so i do what i want" mentality, all the things we decided to do were discussed among admins  as well as with the minecraft community when people were online and were up for discussing them. We were really wanting to make sure everyone got their fair share of say in what they wanted in the server. We are very sorry if we ever made it feel like you were not listened to or cared for.

As for your contribution to the server, you were very much thanked for it, at least according to vera, she said that you donated, and we made a list of them. as far as admin privleges, i'm unaware of that and i was unaware that it was ever promised to anyone. We made it so admin's had the responsibility of updating the server, and all that. If you look on the site, it shows you as a donor, which is the status we give to people that donate to the server, which is basically the same thing as a moderator, only they can't ban and kick people.

[Image: harrypottertwilightgif.gif]
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

06-19-2012, 09:12 PM

The mine craft server is a curse, IMO.
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

06-19-2012, 09:30 PM

(06-19-2012, 01:02 AM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: [quote author=Didzo link=topic=5010.msg247704#msg247704 date=1340082440]
[quote author=at0m link=topic=5010.msg247698#msg247698 date=1340077566]
[quote author=Didzo link=topic=5010.msg247693#msg247693 date=1340074132]
So, why exactly is this server still associated with BRB.U?

I think it's rather embarrassing to have the two related.
Because demon's a member of BRBu and he chooses to share his shit with us? Also, embarrassing for whom? There's very little overlap between the two, and those that do seem pretty cool (Azure, you, me, zaius, etc)
[/quote]

Demon isn't very involved in the server other than paying for it, and there have been serious issues with the administration/managing of the server since Vera has stepped back. Maybe I'm just bitter or have expectations that are too particular and too high, but I find it all increasingly disappointing. It's nice of Demon to have the server open for us, but I don't believe it should have the BRBU name on it since it doesn't match the way the rest of BRBU in terms of community and the way things are managed. I would never get the desire to join the forums from playing on the minecraft server.

The overlap is currently extremely limited and it keeps shrinking, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Also, aside from Azure (I wasn't going to invite some one-post-wonder to BRBU), the overlap is all old BRBU members who haven't quit the server yet.
[/quote]

Well maybe since I'm an admin now. I can make it more BRBu friendly.
[/quote]

I'm only getting involved here to point out that you have obviously gotten Azure so upset she forgot to color her text.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-19-2012, 10:43 PM

(06-19-2012, 08:56 PM)heavyrocker1989 link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=5010.msg247779#msg247779 date=1340153218]
@Heavy: I know my biggest complaint was simply lack of communication outside the server itself regarding changes being made to the server. I understand you guys have always had your thing, although even looking at your forums they don't appear to have much MC discussion, but the apparent lack of engagement with the BRBu community - combined with the 'well i'm paying for it so i'm going to do what i want, but goddamnit why aren't you guys chipping in' mentality - really drove me away from using the server. Hell, I even threw Demon a whole month's worth of server fees, and I didn't get an acknowledgement, a thank you, or even the admin privileges I was promised. Not cool, yo.
Our failreactor forums have nothing to do about minecraft, we talked about those things in person, on irc, or on mumble on a few occasions, possibly skype i think as well. you are always more than welcome to join us in that channel on gamesurge. And i agree the lack of communication was an issue, we mainly talked in game or amongst admins.[/quote]What channel? I've seen no mention of you guys using IRC anywhere on here or in server until you mentioning it just now. I idle on the BRBU IRC channel, and am regularly active there, but that is not and has never been my primary method of communicating with the community as a whole. That said, I would have welcomed the ability to have an 'in' on talking to the Admins, because noone was ever on when I was, and that was literally the ONLY way to contact any of you because nobody checked the forums. Go back and look at some of my posts here, look at who answered, and what came of them.

Quote:As far as the  "i'm paying for it so i do what i want" mentality, all the things we decided to do were discussed among admins  as well as with the minecraft community when people were online and were up for discussing them. We were really wanting to make sure everyone got their fair share of say in what they wanted in the server. We are very sorry if we ever made it feel like you were not listened to or cared for.
Those two statements are mutually exclusive. If you're not getting the whole community's opinion, you're not making an informed decision. If you're not telling the whole community what the decision was, you're not keeping them involved (which leads to logging in and finding your house gone, which has happened to me no less than four times). Just talking amongst yourselves in a closed room, or just talking to the people who happen to be online, is not a recipe for success. It never has been. I've commented on it in the server, on the forums, and on mumble the few times I've happened to be online with someone else from the MC server, and nothing came of my complaints. Nearly completely ignoring the valuable resource that is these forums that have been tying our TF2 community together (and helping us expand to other games) despite our collective differences for more than three years seems pretty foolish to me.

Quote:As for your contribution to the server, you were very much thanked for it, at least according to vera, she said that you donated, and we made a list of them. as far as admin privleges, i'm unaware of that and i was unaware that it was ever promised to anyone. We made it so admin's had the responsibility of updating the server, and all that. If you look on the site, it shows you as a donor, which is the status we give to people that donate to the server, which is basically the same thing as a moderator, only they can't ban and kick people.
I'd talked to vera and demon about getting my access levels back from a previous server incarnation, and that conversation basically went in the 'well we're going to shut it down anyways so i'm not going to bother' direction. Those comments, combined with the in-server advertising for donations, led me to believe donating would help that process along. If it's not, that's cool, but it would've been nice to have had that be more clear. Regarding thanks, I don't think I even got a confirmation from Demon that he got the money at all until I bothered him about it a lot later, and I don't recall ever seeing my name in the donor color on the server. If you put it up on the website, again that's news to me, because nobody told me that was happening either. There's a common theme here: communication is key.

TL;DR: if you've skipped this whole thing just to read the TL;DR, then you're never going to understand why this whole situation got fucked up or how to avoid it in the future. I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink.

heavyrocker1989
Lurker

06-19-2012, 11:03 PM

You said you went to our site at0m, http://failreactor.com/community/about , there is an IRC thing right there, and that is where our community mainly discusses things. As far as admin's answering posts, i try to check the forums as much as possible to answer posts, especially since i've been an admin.

The things that were major changing, such as deleting a world, those things i would have put on the forums and made sure everyone was aware. The plan i wanted to do was find another virtual server to use where it had more resouces so that we didn't have to delete a world. However if we did have to delete a world i would have made it a world that we all decided on, this way no one loses their stuff, and we can always find ways to help you rebuild your house so you don't lose as much. The reason we talked among each other was because it was simply easier for us all to get together whenever we needed to to talk about things. The only major thing i changed on the server was getting rid of tnt damage because people kept using it to blow up stuff near the spawn in creative mode. We also made it more vanilla because that is what most people on the server wanted, so we got rid of mcmmo and a few other mods.

as far as donating now, someone can take over the server now that demon has given up paying for it, and then they can run it, we're more than happy to help you set it up and get it running. And when you are made a certain class, it is automatically updated on the server, and i did not update it or promote you to a donor, so i'm not sure who did that.

Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

06-20-2012, 02:57 AM

o__ô Since when has Minecraft turned into OMG SRSBSNS GUYS. Last time i played it was during the early gamma phase brb.u server, where everybody had their own part of the map (Mine was the pit of despair near Canadaland). I think Luin, Spore, Karth and a lot of other members played there too. They built Rainbow Road.

Dick moves were part of the game for me. I still remember when backfire's castle was destroyed, and he rebuilt it. Or when someone i don't remeber (Nitrous maybe) flooded my caves and he helped me drain the water. For me that was part of the game :/.

Maybe with the latter updates (i played before the game started having monsters) the game took a more serious direction, where blowing up someone's else place isn't fun anymore and people must create rules against this. For me, that kind of behaviour and convivence was part of the game

tl;dr Stop being such a drama queen over a game. You made some choices that annoyed a great part of the server without consulting and that's what made people mad. And stop trying to pull some weight over Azure, she's as innocent as I am on this case. Also, this isn't a real tl;dr, but thanks for reading up to here.

heavyrocker1989
Lurker

06-20-2012, 06:59 AM

(06-20-2012, 02:57 AM)Vongore link Wrote: tl;dr Stop being such a drama queen over a game. You made some choices that annoyed a great part of the server without consulting and that's what made people mad. And stop trying to pull some weight over Azure, she's as innocent as I am on this case. Also, this isn't a real tl;dr, but thanks for reading up to here.

who said anything about azure?

Choices in game were very few that Nickelplate and i made, we removed damage from TNT, which was a direct result of people destroying the spawn of the new creative map. Other than that, all we did was update the server and kept it up to date with all of it's plug ins, and planned for possible future things with the server.

Nickelplate
N00b

06-20-2012, 08:37 AM

I think people might be confused as to who made what changes. Let me know if this is mistaken, but I think the changes that got a lot of people pissed off were mainly the removal of privileges from a lot of people who had been moderators and the removal of a whole bunch of plugins that people had gotten used to.

I would like to clarify that I think most of the changes that people took issue with were not a direct result of the new admins but happened around the same time. With every game, you reach a point where you don't really want to play it anymore, and Vera reached that point with Minecraft, having to be a full-time admin, she felt that she was spending too much time putting out fires and babysitting some of the newer users who i think were literally 12 years old. Vera wanted to step down and just be a regular user with no privileges, and she asked a few of the most active mods at the time if we'd like to take over. We (myself, heavyrocker and countryman) agreed, and looked at ways of making the server less admin-intensive and how to get rid of that thing where the server needed to restart like every half hour. If that's not what made people upset, I dunno.
Azure_Angel
Lurker

06-20-2012, 12:12 PM

I think it's time this is put to bed. Being new to BRB, U, and knowing very little about FailR, I can't speak for either community properly. However, from what I know, BRBU seems to be a more TF2-centric site, and FailR seems to be a more Minecraft-centric site.

I'm probably wrong but whatever.

The point I'm getting at is, Neither community seems to coexist, and it looks like they've always been at odds with each other. So, maybe it's time for FailR to pack it's bags and leave the brbu forums. Demon has pulled support for the minecraft server, which seems to be the only tie between the 2. Individuals can come back and join either community if they want, but this discussion is now just running circles. There's no reason to continue beating a dead horse, especially when no one wanted the horse in the first place.

[Image: tumblr_leg7vzNCYq1qe0eclo1_r4_500.gif][Image: I7jRGM7.gif]
Quote:I vote that we always type in different colors now.
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

06-20-2012, 12:51 PM

(02-15-2011, 07:05 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:
Minecraft Drama Presentations would like to bring you:

THIS THREAD

Featuring:

EVERYBODY'S MAD

With guest appearances by:

Bitching and Complaining

You've never seen shit this real, this intense, this...

SERIOUS

And you thought it was just a fucking game

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Eh, I'm over being mad. Mad was me months ago the last time my house was deleted, and nobody listened, and nobody is listening now. It seems like Heavyrocker and Nickel are focusing on problems that have happened since they took over adminship in the current world, forgetting the fact that those of us exposed to MC from BRBU that are still active on the forums (read: not one post wonders) are complaining about things that have been systematic problems over the entire time we've had the MC server.

Didzo
Uninstalling

06-20-2012, 10:29 PM

(06-20-2012, 04:49 PM)at0m link Wrote: Eh, I'm over being mad. Mad was me months ago the last time my house was deleted, and nobody listened, and nobody is listening now. It seems like Heavyrocker and Nickel are focusing on problems that have happened since they took over adminship in the current world, forgetting the fact that those of us exposed to MC from BRBU that are still active on the forums (read: not one post wonders) are complaining about things that have been systematic problems over the entire time we've had the MC server.

Making a reply to this situation isn't the smartest thing to do, but hey, this is the internet and the game at stake here is Minecraft, and this thread is built upon the sacred arts of Bitching and Moaning. I must do my part.

All the things you and the rest of the posters brought up are still legitimate and pertinent concerns. The thing that really rubs me the wrong way with Nick and Heavyrocker's administration is the lack of respect and a severely condescending attitude toward anyone who isn't an IRL friend or blood relative.

The only "problems" that were mentioned in their recent posts are all referring to me. This last episode of bitchfest drama was brought up when one of the admins blew up on Azure when she asked a question regarding newly promoted members of the moderating/admin team as well as other changes the admins were making without (as usual) asking or informing anyone outside of the circlejerk. I did my usual bit and called out the hypocritical bullshit that was being spilled. The result of that are all of these passive aggressive posts and Azure being "promoted" to Admin. After which she left the server because they were harassing her and being complete assholes.

In the end, I'm glad that these fine folks are making their way out.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
heavyrocker1989
Lurker

06-21-2012, 08:52 AM

(06-20-2012, 10:29 PM)Didzo link Wrote: All the things you and the rest of the posters brought up are still legitimate and pertinent concerns. The thing that really rubs me the wrong way with Nick and Heavyrocker's administration is the lack of respect and a severely condescending attitude toward anyone who isn't an IRL friend or blood relative.

I would like to know when exactly you felt like we were being treated with a lack of respect before blowing up half of the creative map's spawn area with tnt. Before that we had nothing bad to say about you, we gave you all the respect you deserved because we need to respect the players as much as we respect anyone else or we simply could not be the admins that we needed to be for the server.

I think we were pretty easy to talk to, most people when they came onto the server and hadn't been on in a while i made sure they had all their things, even gave them a little boost to get them going again. When Azure wanted to continue to use creative mode to finish and run the coloseum, we said yes after we discussed it, but we only wanted the survival world to be survival and creative world to be creative, that's why we were reluctant. However we both thought it was a cool idea and we let her continue, we even turned off the "no egg spawning" mod so you guys could test it out and make it work.

Quote:In the end, I'm glad that these fine folks are making their way out.

seriously, i'm not making my way out, i'm still play TF2 and i've been more frequent on the brbu servers, i enjoy almost everyone in the community, i don't see why i'd ever want to leave.

backfire
Uninstalling

06-21-2012, 02:20 PM

New OP get.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM by backfire.)
Azure_Angel
Lurker

06-21-2012, 04:03 PM

(06-21-2012, 02:20 PM)backfire link Wrote: New OP get.

Shut up and take my +1

Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

06-22-2012, 04:13 PM

I love you Hobo.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

06-22-2012, 11:07 PM

(06-22-2012, 04:13 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: I love you Hobo.

I know.

[Image: 5361519_gal.png]

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
VeraLapsa
Minecraft Overlord

07-01-2012, 10:20 PM

So what'd I miss?  b)

Woo hoo ACEN here I come.
Azure_Angel
Lurker

07-02-2012, 01:10 PM

(07-01-2012, 10:20 PM)VeraLapsa link Wrote: So what'd I miss?  b)

A live action soap opera.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM by Azure_Angel.)