Hello There, Guest! Register

Redstone discussion and requests.
sk8mystery23
Lurker

02-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Oh, it's a block to replace when I would have had to place a block with a torch on the side?

[Image: mystery-deck-fat_tipcopy-1.jpg]
Kirby
Uninstalling

02-17-2011, 02:31 PM

(02-17-2011, 02:12 PM)sk8mystery23 link Wrote: Oh, it's a block to replace when I would have had to place a block with a torch on the side?

Yes, that block w/ torch on the side is a NOT Gate, this block replaces the need for them for transmitting a signal long range. Apparently it will also act like a diode as at0m said, meaning they will only transmit a signal one way, not both. Which is really fucking awesome and will negate the need for some complex shit to do mundane things.

[Image: fastdlusage.png]

[Image: b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png]
[Image: b_350_20_FFAD41_E98100_000000_591F11.png]
[Image: b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png]

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]

[Image: amd.jpg]
[Image: radeon.jpg]
[Image: win7.jpg]
[Image: ubuntu.jpg]
[Image: xp.jpg]
[Image: chrome.jpg]
[Image: pyro.jpg]
sk8mystery23
Lurker

02-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Hope it comes out soon. Could make for some pretty interesting stuff.

Voyevoda
N00b

02-18-2011, 04:48 AM

(02-17-2011, 02:31 PM)Kirby, the Spyro link Wrote: [quote author=sk8mystery23 link=topic=5444.msg196912#msg196912 date=1297969943]
Oh, it's a block to replace when I would have had to place a block with a torch on the side?

Yes, that block w/ torch on the side is a NOT Gate, this block replaces the need for them for transmitting a signal long range. Apparently it will also act like a diode as at0m said, meaning they will only transmit a signal one way, not both. Which is really fucking awesome and will negate the need for some complex shit to do mundane things.
[/quote]

It doesn't replace a NOT gate, it replaces the need for a double-NOT gate. Double NOT gates are called repeaters, and output the same input with a 2-tick delay. The use for that device can be for creating a timed delay by stacking multiple ones (known as a clock-generator), or extending a signal past the 15 block limit (signal strength is stored as a half of a byte, giving the numbers 1-15 to denote signal strength). This removes the need for a, at the absolute smallest, 3x1x2 device.

[Image: Space-scratch.png]
Voyevoda
N00b

02-21-2011, 03:44 PM

My computer decided to explode on saturday evening, so I won't be able to get on in a while. Still trying to pinpoint the problem, already ruled out PSU, GPU, and mem. Standard non-descript problem, refuses to POST or give out a beep code.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011, 11:28 PM by Voyevoda.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Usually when it refuses to POST its a PSU or motherboard problem, since it should still POST with everything disconnected. One thing I noticed with both of my PCs though is they refuse to POST if I have an android phone connected to them via USB. Makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Voyevoda
N00b

02-24-2011, 10:58 AM

(02-24-2011, 05:17 AM)at0m link Wrote: Usually when it refuses to POST its a PSU or motherboard problem, since it should still POST with everything disconnected. One thing I noticed with both of my PCs though is they refuse to POST if I have an android phone connected to them via USB. Makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
Already figured it out. CMOS wants to corrupt every time I shut down now. I have to reset it any time I reboot by pulling out the battery for a few minutes (I don't seem to have a jumper). My mobo is an ancient OEM version of a MSI P6N SLI PLAT, so I'm long overdue for a new one anyhow. Bday in a month.

On another note, my clock now takes up a 5x4x1 space. GG

Voyevoda
N00b

03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

New information.
With the block used as a diode, i've been able to make a simplistic PoV LED device in vennora's basement. It generates arrows once per second.  Using memory cells and enough room, I've decided it's 100% possible to create actual scrolling text. while the amount of room to spell out BRBU (or even a single B) hasn't quite been estimated, i know it's 100% possible, and awesome. Sick with the flu so it won't happen soon, but it's a burning passion of mine to get this done.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

03-01-2011, 06:14 AM

I've been working on clearing a similar experimentation space in my basement, but ran into trouble with some ore blocksbeing OCD last night. Four large chests of cobble later, I'm pretty close to having a massive ore museum down there, instead of a redstone experimentation lab. Derp.

heavyrocker1989
Lurker

03-01-2011, 12:44 PM

question that i proposed to demonspork, i was instructed to ask you since you were the master of the server's redstone. can we move staircases?

[Image: harrypottertwilightgif.gif]
Voyevoda
N00b

03-01-2011, 01:09 PM

(03-01-2011, 12:44 PM)heavyrocker1989 link Wrote: question that i proposed to demonspork, i was instructed to ask you since you were the master of the server's redstone. can we move staircases?
What do you mean, like an escalator?

the stair block isn't effected in any way by redstone, so I'm going to have to say no.

heavyrocker1989
Lurker

03-01-2011, 01:15 PM

no not like an escalator, like an entire moving staircase, and since this is not able to be done... we will make it be done!

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

03-01-2011, 01:30 PM

I think he means like Harry Potter. And no, it can't be done.

heavyrocker1989
Lurker

03-01-2011, 02:14 PM

(03-01-2011, 01:30 PM)at0m link Wrote: I think he means like Harry Potter. And no, it can't be done.

that is what i mean, and it can be done i'm sure! we'll just have to make it work...

Voyevoda
N00b

03-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Lawl, as awesome as that'd be, not going to happen. There is a mod that creates a new redstone "bridge block" that, when it recieves an input, creates a bridge.

Back to the topic of scrolling text. I've decided i'm going to use the ancient method of Delay-line memory for each px of the sign. Leaving each delay at 4 in the line, I can make it fairly small depending on the bitlength I need, which will roughly be only 20~30ish for each px of "BRBU". On top of this, using vertical transmission methods and adjusting the first line of diodes to compensate differences in amount of torches, I think I can also remove the need to space out the rows and compress the multiple inputs to contiguous rows instead of every other row. Still have to do lots of testing though.

EDIT1. Delay line memory is going to be an issue when it comes to synchronization between lines. While still possible, it'l be a pain in the ass to start and maintain.

EDIT2. A model of the vertical transmission unit is available for viewing at my /home. It's public, so just /home Voyevoda101 and check it out. The key thing to understand from it is that inputs from the 5 points can enter the board right next to each other. I also have the letters BRBU mapped out on signs. Injecting the memory into the stream though is going to be complicated.

EDIT3. A complete testing zone with 20bit memory cells has been set up (final version will 35 bits per string. Each letter and the empty space between them is 5 bits, this will let BRBU be spelled out, then leave a space the size of 3 letters before sending out BRBU again). Getting the data to come out how i want it, and having the rows synchronized is unprecedentedly difficult. I've decided to create an interconnected data injector that injects all 5 bit strings simultaneously. This will be stupidly large and rudimentary, but will make injecting data into the stream an assload easier, and it will be slightly adjustable. Will continue work at another time. I will be using the concept I used for creating an input to my clock (the 1 second to 1 tick converter) to create a tick-by-tick counter that will be strung together for each bit in the whole string. One button press will activate all 5 and inject the gate-calibrated data into the DLM at the same time at the same location, creating a perfectly sync'd system. This will also create a failsafe for when the diodes "break" by having to be reloaded. Simply flushing the system and hitting the button again will "reset" it.

To wolfwood: I need a larger scale testing area to create the "final version", under vennora or at my /home won't cut it. I would like a 64x64x1 sized sandplate created on the landmass south of my own island (between my stuff and ace/dualdier's stuff) and my device copypasted over there towards the center.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2011, 05:59 AM by Voyevoda.)
demonspork
Lurker

03-02-2011, 08:17 PM

This is getting ridiculously boss

MINECRAFT RULES AND INFORMATION
Minecraft Server changing hosts. Do not donate to my NFOservers account because I am cancelling it after this pay period.
Voyevoda
N00b

03-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Because I'm awesome, I only have to build 4 injectors instead of 5. Turns out, px1 and px3 share the same string. That means there's no problem in having them share the same DLM and injector. This also means, with the free room, i can put px2 ground level, and now only have to build one platform for px4. However, I'm out of materials and I'm tired as shit, so I'm done tonight. If you're reading this, please make me some repeaters and drop off any excess redstone you have lying around. This is the repeater recipe. If you don't have the redstone/wood, just drop off smooth stone. Please drop off the materials inside my vennora home in the teaching supplies box (furthest one on the left). Appreciate it.

One more day of nonstop work should be enough to finish the final model. The final model will sit there on my sand zone until worldedit supports copypasting redstone repeaters. Afterwards, it will be moved to anywhere we want, and also finally be placed underground (the actual scrolling text will be the only thing visible.

Supplies needed to finish the project:
Repeaters for LED display board (5x35). I need 175 (almost 3 stacks) repeater blocks for this.
Repeaters for two more injectors. Not sure how many, but a stack should cover this. Stole the supplies myself. Deal with it nerds.
Redstone dust. I always need more. I won't complain if I get at least 3~5 more stacks.
Iron blocks. Will be decorating it with an iron and glass "sheath" for awesomeness. 32 iron blocks for each side (which i have), and 140 for the edging (which i don't) Donations are welcome, i'll pay you in diamonds. I have blocks, lots of them.

On another note, it's these guys who are the ones who make everybody think we (electrical engineers) have autism.
16-bit ALU in minecraft

While I do, in fact, have great respect for this guy for creating a 16 bit ALU that's as advanced as this, he's still autistic (in one of his later videos, he runs a program on it).

EDIT. Just finished the 4th (px2) injector and it's corresponding BUS to the master button. The unsheathed LED board is done. ALL inputs are synchronized as expected. Beginning on the last memory cell and injector. I currently don't have any sort of master DLM flushing built yet for clearing the SAM, but it's not super important, I'll do it another time.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM by Voyevoda.)
Voyevoda
N00b

03-03-2011, 06:18 AM

EDIT final.
Done.

Circuitry overview. Each cluster is an injector that creates a timed sequence. That's hooked up to DLM (Delay-line memory). This is SAM, which is exactly what I need (Serial-Access Memory). The SAMs holds the 35-bit sequenced strings, which output to the board via a multi-level input tower. The board then displays the bits as LEDs. The sequences line up to create the PoV illusion of the text.

I still have to create the flushing system for the SAM. All it is is an AND gate with one input being the end of the SAM, the second being a lever, and the output being the beginning of the SAM. When the lever is on, memory is allowed to flow through the gate. When the lever is off, it's not, and memory is not cycled back through. hooking those up to a master lever is ezsauce, just i'm too tired to do it.

Pics

[Image: 2i26jk6.png]

[Image: k0366b.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 06:46 AM by Voyevoda.)
heavyrocker1989
Lurker

03-03-2011, 07:36 AM

:o cool!

sk8mystery23
Lurker

03-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Holy shit dude, holy shit.