Hello There, Guest! Register

Linux
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

04-08-2008, 12:17 AM

(04-07-2008, 08:57 PM)ConsFEARacy link Wrote: Meryl!
[Image: ag134tj5.jpg]

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

04-08-2008, 03:15 PM

WATER PIKACHU :Smile

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

04-17-2008, 06:16 AM

I use Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris constantly as I work with them and have done so for the last 8 years.

My laptop only has Ubuntu installed and my workstation at home dual boots Ubuntu and Windows. I prefer to use a UNIX-like environment for real work while Windows is my "toy-OS" with all my games. I'm just a lot more productive in an environment that doesn't think I should adapt to doing my stuff like they want me to. On my servers I prefer to use FreeBSD but we use various Linux distributions and Solaris if the customer needs it.

I like UNIX as it's simply a better environment to work in, if it game developers would develop their games to a UNIX-like OS I would never even look at the crap from redmond. Wish it would happen...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Vandamguy

04-17-2008, 06:24 AM

never gona happen Smile
directx has a stranglehold on game development
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Once again bash.org sums up my feelings:

<froody> yeah but if you had a mac it would be like "Rip. Mix. Burn"™
<Rafterman> heh
<Rafterman> if you had linux it'd be "rip, crash, download, tar, make, make install, curse, hack, make, rip, mix, crash, download, etc, etc..."
<Rafterman> but it'd be free!

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

04-17-2008, 06:41 AM

@Vandamguy

Hmmmz, that all depends.... Essentially the Wii and the PS3 both use OpenGL as their graphics API so there are enough people able to make nice stuff with OpenGL... The rest of the DirectX API is easily replaced as well with something like SDL. Furthermore, if enough people get fed up with Vista and switch to something else, developers might smell the money on other platforms and port to them...

Until that day Windows will remain my toy-os and UNIX for serious business...

@Scotty

Hmmmmz, linux has changed a lot since that bash quote. This laptop for instance:

Windows XP with all hardware working: 2 hours setup time (damn windows driver CD took ages to install all drivers)
Windows XP with all the needed software installed: 5+ hours (Search everything from sites, install them)
Ubuntu with all hardware working: 30 minutes (Everything worked after the install was done)
Ubuntu with all the needed software installed: 45 minutes (Besides installing 2 programs and tweaking some settings it was already done after the install, I didn't even need to go to the sites to install the 2 programs I wanted)

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

04-17-2008, 07:23 AM

(04-17-2008, 06:41 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: Hmmmmz, linux has changed a lot since that bash quote. This laptop for instance:

Windows XP with all hardware working: 2 hours setup time (damn windows driver CD took ages to install all drivers)
Windows XP with all the needed software installed: 5+ hours (Search everything from sites, install them)
Ubuntu with all hardware working: 30 minutes (Everything worked after the install was done)
Ubuntu with all the needed software installed: 45 minutes (Besides installing 2 programs and tweaking some settings it was already done after the install, I didn't even need to go to the sites to install the 2 programs I wanted)

I'm not going to get into another Windows vs Linux debate - as I remain steadfast in my opinion that the Linux community is very unfriendly to the casual Linux user (eg: someone who just wants to get their stuff done and doesn't care about updating libraries and tweaking shit) - but I will say that I had similar problems ripping and burning with Mandriva early last year.

Although I seem to have a knack for accidentally crashing the most stable things in ways that make even the biggest expert scratch their head. Tongue

Also, unless you constantly install the OS the install time is pretty negligible. Tongue

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-17-2008, 07:38 AM

My older machine boots a lot slower with the latest stable Ubuntu Distro than it does with Windows. When did that start happening? Also, I still find the hardware somewhat lacking. For some reason, on my old machine, if I ever tried to use onboard sound, anytime a sound is played, a 15kHz screech comes out on top of whatever else is playing. When I try to use my sound card, the sound only works about half the time; if it doesn't work, I just reboot until it does. Nobody on any of the forums had even the slightest idea what was wrong. Sad

Windows is nice because everything just works (hardware-wise). Maybe not how you'd always want them to, and the environment is certainly not as customizable, but it just works. If you plan on running a server of any sort though, there's no beating unix.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

04-17-2008, 07:57 AM

(04-17-2008, 07:23 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: I'm not going to get into another Windows vs Linux debate - as I remain steadfast in my opinion that the Linux community is very unfriendly to the casual Linux user (eg: someone who just wants to get their stuff done and doesn't care about updating libraries and tweaking shit) - but I will say that I had similar problems ripping and burning with Mandriva early last year.

Although I seem to have a knack for accidentally crashing the most stable things in ways that make even the biggest expert scratch their head. Tongue

Also, unless you constantly install the OS the install time is pretty negligible. Tongue

That has also changed quite a bit, the Ubuntu forums are quite friendly and Ubuntu itself doesn't really need shit tweaked. A lot of stuff changes for the better every year. Can't really say anything about Mandriva except that when I used it many years ago I didn't like it at all. IMHO Ubuntu is about as user-friendly as you can get these days.
I never have to compile stuff by hand anymore, never have to tweak anything except some ainmosni specific things to make the UI suit my own work style better. So you'll be surprised in how nice things have become these days.

And about reinstalling the OS, I still do that yearly with windows because too many programs leave too much shit around when you deinstall them that a re-install will be needed.

@copulating duck

About the boot times, Linux starts everything before you get any UI, windows XP tries to show the UI as soon as possible while it still is booting in the background. At the moment, there are several projects working on a better way of booting so that the initial boot sequence will be as short, if not shorter, than XP. UNIX was designed to reboot as few times as possible (because it was a server OS to begin with) so the boot times where never a big problem.
Your sound problem sounds weird... (no pun intended) I haven't had a problem with my sound for many years. What kind of motherboard do you have?

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

(04-17-2008, 07:57 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=61.msg3121#msg3121 date=1208435000]
I'm not going to get into another Windows vs Linux debate - as I remain steadfast in my opinion that the Linux community is very unfriendly to the casual Linux user (eg: someone who just wants to get their stuff done and doesn't care about updating libraries and tweaking shit) - but I will say that I had similar problems ripping and burning with Mandriva early last year.

That has also changed quite a bit, the Ubuntu forums are quite friendly and Ubuntu itself doesn't really need shit tweaked. A lot of stuff changes for the better every year. Can't really say anything about Mandriva except that when I used it many years ago I didn't like it at all. IMHO Ubuntu is about as user-friendly as you can get these days.
I never have to compile stuff by hand anymore, never have to tweak anything except some ainmosni specific things to make the UI suit my own work style better. So you'll be surprised in how nice things have become these days.

And about reinstalling the OS, I still do that yearly with windows because too many programs leave too much shit around when you deinstall them that a re-install will be needed.

@copulating duck

About the boot times, Linux starts everything before you get any UI, windows XP tries to show the UI as soon as possible while it still is booting in the background. At the moment, there are several projects working on a better way of booting so that the initial boot sequence will be as short, if not shorter, than XP. UNIX was designed to reboot as few times as possible (because it was a server OS to begin with) so the boot times where never a big problem.
Your sound problem sounds weird... (no pun intended) I haven't had a problem with my sound for many years. What kind of motherboard do you have?

[/quote]

This one.

Idk what happened. It worked with earlier distros, but I think 6.10 just profoundly broke something. When it started having problems I thought it was the MOBO, but it works fine in Windows, so I don't know what the issue is. As for the gimpy sound card, well I found it in a box in the basement. I don't even know what it is honestly.

I guess you're right about the Windows boot time being misleading, but I swear I thought this thing used to boot much faster with Ubuntu. Then again, I do have parts failing, I guess that would probably explain the slower booting in general.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these