Hello There, Guest! Register

Why Bethesda sucks and Fallout 3 will suck
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

10-30-2008, 01:44 PM

(10-30-2008, 01:31 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=peaches link=topic=95.msg46634#msg46634 date=1225390219]
Firstly, DRM is absolutely nothing. You may have heard about SecuROM worries but they aren't the least bit problematic, really. One NoCD EXE later and I'm in game.

And I stayed there. For seven hours. I haven't been this engrossed in a game since Portal, and I finished that in three-and-a-half hours. So consider that my testimony. Bethesda has eliminated some of the faults that ruined the sense of immersion in Oblivion, not to mention created a highly detailed gameworld where there's little to no terrain repetition and every square mile is littered with shit to explore. It's frankly amazing. I'm extremely impressed.

Screw you =(.  Now I'm tempted to go spend money I don't have again.
[/quote]

Pirate and try it, that's what I'm doing. I've heard too many mixed things, and no offense Peaches or Eschatos, if I remember correctly both of you liked oblivion. If someone who absolutely hated oblivion said it was good, i might be swayed

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

10-30-2008, 04:12 PM

You do remember correctly. And I'll be very frank: it bears uncanny resemblance to Oblivion. But whether or not you'll like this really depends on what you disliked about Oblivion. If you disliked conversation pie, horrible AI, scalable difficulty, and endless, repetitive drudgery, then you'll like Fallout 3, because it has none. If you hated real-time combat, the attribute system, real-time travel, and the obligation to explore, then you won't like this any better.

It's really like a much improved Oblivion in a much less cliche setting.

Even better, do what I did and split it with some people. As long as you don't care about having a hard copy of the disc, you'll be A-OK. I'm just going to rip the .ISO.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

10-30-2008, 07:38 PM

also, I haven't come across any repeated voices yet. Smile

Definitely enjoying it, while obviously not as good as Fallout 1, Bethesda has made a wonderful world to explore. There's even a demolished Bethesta Studios building to explore!

Vandamguy

10-31-2008, 12:16 AM

im gettin a teensy bit bored of whackin on super mutants.

protips for someone makin a new char

for your SPECIAL stats (str agi lck ect ) take 10 Int , and 10 Endurance from the begining of the game. skill points and HPs arent retroactive , getum early.
You can sewer Charisma, agility , and perception without adversely affecting your character

EDIT: update , HP's are retro so you dont need 10 endurance right away ( or at all , if you have skills )
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

10-31-2008, 10:40 AM

This game is awesome, and i fucking despised oblivion, you can see parralells to oblivion, but its mainly the good bits just improved, the world is VERY detailed, shit I got distracted on a mission, ended up exploring the fuck out of this shopping mall thing, the game is great, if you think of it as its own game instead of a fallout sequel, first game im glad i payed for in a while.

KorJax
BRB, Posting

10-31-2008, 01:01 PM

(10-29-2008, 12:25 AM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=peaches link=topic=95.msg46458#msg46458 date=1225256529]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=95.msg1919#msg1919 date=1207854076]
Weren't there plenty of crappy fallout spinoffs and crap before this?

I mean this should be pretty good in comparison no matter what they do.

Ref: Tactics.

I'm pretty enthusiastic. Any note on what the DRM is like? I remember with Oblivion you could use one disc for as many installs as you liked, so I was planning on splitting a copy with a friend since we're both shit broke. Would that work?
[/quote]

I believe the DRM uses Starforce or some rubbish, but it's only in place to do a CD check.  So as long as you get a noCD for the game, it should be fine I would hope.  That's how Oblivion worked anyways.
[/quote]

No, they use the same copy protection they used for Oblivion.  As in, basic DVD checks.

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

11-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Most of you were right on saying how this game plays like Oblivion done right (or thats the impression i got from most of your "reviews"). 

Have some gripes though of course:
  • Game is way too dramatic from the get go.  Sure I am not too far into the game just yet but I remember a lot more dark humor and even slap stick in the beginning of the first two fallouts.  In this one it just seems to be a bit gloomy all around.  People just talking about hanging in there and living in "shit holes" of towns.

• The fact that melee combat seemed to be completely abandoned is very disappointing.  Granted one can make the argument that using the vat system at such close range would make it too easy to get hits to the head but that would mean your character running head on into a firefight just to slash someone up.  I say if you are willing to bring a knife to a gun fight you should be rewarded for getting in close.  Plus the melee plays sadly similar to Oblivion.

• I am also not a big fan of the minigames replacing the skills themselves.  Was a bigger fan of being rewarded for putting the skill points into the science skill by accessing computer terminals.  Instead I have to play the hacking minigame everytime I want to get into a terminal.

• Small issue but still bothered me:  Bottle caps are still used as currency.  Fallout 2 and if you include fallout tactics into the "cannon" actual currency began to come into circulation.  Now everyone is back to using bottle caps?  Unless I am wrong and this takes place before Fallout 2 I believe the game should have actual currency in it.

All and all it is a fun game.  The scenery/graphics are great and despite my gripes with the more somber tone it does provide a pretty cool atmosphere.  So far Bethesda has failed at making a good Fallout Sequel.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

11-01-2008, 12:59 AM

Yeah melee is only good in the beginning when you have cruddy weapons and don't want to spend ammo on minor creatures.  Only melee weapon I really carried and used occasionally since maybe level ten'ish was the ripper which is a mini chainsaw.  It's pretty strong, though I never touched the power fists.  With a high condition, it does about 20 DMG and does good VATS damage against rushing Super Mutant Brutes.

No real reason to ever carry a melee weapon once you get a combat shotgun.

Anyone know how to wear the Powered Armor?  I was thinking I need to find the Brotherhood's HQ, but I've pretty much explored all major places on the map that I can tell and not found a base other than the GNR, but only a couple named ones there that don't help.  I know there is a leader called Lyon, but can't find him/her.  I even found the Outcasts base, but they just want me to find junk for them for stuff I don't need (I'm so maxed out on money, stimpacks, ammo, and weapons XD ).  Guess I should've went with that Exploration perk, though alot of my time spent in the game has been just wandering around to places I haven't been to see if there is some bunker, shack, or small town that I can explore.

Now to finish some other quests and then the main story so I could do it all over again as an evil guy lol

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Vandamguy

11-01-2008, 09:19 AM

(11-01-2008, 12:59 AM)Maxon link Wrote: No real reason to ever carry a melee weapon once you get a combat shotgun.
Actually im building my char to be melee the whole way through , gettin that ninja perk , and any other talent points that add +dmg +crit or +critdmg. its working out well enough so far, you just need to play your strengths and sneak around a lot.
rumsfald

11-01-2008, 12:03 PM

So, I was in Target today picking up Depends and I saw they had this in stock for the 360.  I was tempted to get it as in impulsebuy before I read any more spoilers that completely ruin it for me. But I didn't, cause I feel the PC version will be superior. So, do me a favor and post what version you are playing so that I don't have to make an independent decision.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

11-01-2008, 12:06 PM

(11-01-2008, 12:03 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: So, I was in Target today picking up Depends and I saw they had this in stock for the 360.  I was tempted to get it as in impulsebuy before I read any more spoilers that completely ruin it for me. But I didn't, cause I feel the PC version will be superior. So, do me a favor and post what version you are playing so that I don't have to make an independent decision.

allways pick PC versions, if not only for Mods and skins.
its also partialy an FPS, customised hunting rifle + RMB = win.

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

11-01-2008, 12:14 PM

(11-01-2008, 12:06 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=95.msg46949#msg46949 date=1225558988]
So, I was in Target today picking up Depends and I saw they had this in stock for the 360.  I was tempted to get it as in impulsebuy before I read any more spoilers that completely ruin it for me. But I didn't, cause I feel the PC version will be superior. So, do me a favor and post what version you are playing so that I don't have to make an independent decision.

allways pick PC versions, if not only for Mods and skins.
its also partialy an FPS, customised hunting rifle + RMB = win.
[/quote]

That, and eventually there will be mods that make it a lot more like the original Fallouts.

ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

11-01-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm running on the PC version.  Definitely hope this will get a good mod community going soon.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Vandamguy

11-01-2008, 01:50 PM

PC

I had Oblivion on 360(before i got this comp) and PC. and the 360 load times were always crampin my style. 
think 360 only has 512 of ram, amrite ? not bad considering.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

11-01-2008, 02:06 PM

(11-01-2008, 01:50 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: PC

I had Oblivion on 360(before i got this comp) and PC. and the 360 load times were always crampin my style. 

Well on the 360, like all 512 can be used for stuff, on a PC, if you have 512, about half of that is taken up by windows and other background processes. But yea...RAM is cheap as shit, I wonder why they didn't use more...

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Squishy3
Closet Furry

11-01-2008, 02:20 PM

(11-01-2008, 02:06 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=95.msg46966#msg46966 date=1225565444]
PC

Well on the 360, like all 512 can be used for stuff, on a PC, if you have 512, about half of that is taken up by windows and other background processes. But yea...RAM is cheap as shit, I wonder why they didn't use more...
[/quote]They didn't even want to use 512 in the first place, Epic convinced them to put 512 on there

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

11-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Well, the biggest thing I have to say about this, is thank god they finally optimized their shitty engine at least.  I get virtually no load times and a solid framerate almost everywhere aside from a couple outdoor areas (which I think I know how to fix).  It runs a helluva lot better than Oblivion does in any case.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

11-01-2008, 04:49 PM

It looks and performs worse than HL2 for me.

The HDR is SO terribly shitty for me. I will walk around outdoors and the brightness will change dramatically around 6 times every 10 seconds just from walking in a straight line, not even moving my mouse.

I haven't really had any fun playing it so far :-\

Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

11-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Halp plz with install :<

"Failed to open dll.exe Error: Access is denied." I have no fucking idea what that means, and googles failed me.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

11-02-2008, 12:28 AM

(11-01-2008, 11:59 PM)TVs Luca link Wrote: Halp plz with install :<

"Failed to open dll.exe Error: Access is denied." I have no fucking idea what that means, and googles failed me.

Yeah im sure that comes with the *Not* illegal copy of the game.  It *didn't* take me four downloads until I decided "Screw it" and just bought the game.