Hello There, Guest! Register

Top 10 Games Thread
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

06-17-2008, 06:14 AM

Of the games I have played thus far..I'm likely to update this by the end of the year..

10) Final Fantasy VII (PS1)- This game was a complete breakthrough in it's day. A pretty good battle system mixed with an epic story line and a fantastic score by Uematsu makes this game one of my all time favorites.

9) Portal (PC)- What bad can be said about Portal? An all around great game. The puzzles, advanced maps, and challenges make this relatively short game long and wonderful.

8)SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (PS2)- The game that got me into hardcore online action (non-sexually of course). I will never forget it.

7)Mega Man X1 (SNES)- One of the best Mega Man games that I can remember. It introduced a slightly more mature storyline and look.

6) Castlevania IV (SNES)- Best Castlevania..EVAR

5) Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)- The job system in this game was simply incredible. Not only that, but the presentation and storyline are (to me) unequaled inside of the RPG market.

4)Team Fortress 2 (PC)- I don't think I have ever spent as much time in an online game as I have with TF2..not even the SOCOM games have that honor.

3) Half-Life 2 (PC)- Gordan Freeman and his supporting cast drew me in from the moment I laid eyes on the footage from E3.

2)Silent Hill 2 (PS2)- I would seriously get chills and start feeling mild depression after playing this game.

1)Metal Gear Solid (PS1)- The game that drew me in right from the start. I remember playing THE DEMO for HOURS at a time. Thus, you can tell, I am a HUGE MGS fan

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-17-2008, 07:40 AM

(06-17-2008, 05:48 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=ainmosni link=topic=525.msg13250#msg13250 date=1213692862]
5. Knights of the Old Republic (PC) - A good combat system? Check.

I would contest this.
[/quote]

Heh, I liked it... I could pause the action to give orders and add to them in real time... Beats the current Mass Effect system which isn't cool for an RPG...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

06-17-2008, 08:49 AM

10: Crash bash, this game made me buy a multiport for my ps1, 4 man ice battles FTW!
9: GTA: vice city, 80s tunes helicopters and no ablitiy to swim, made a pass controller on death game so awesome.
8: C&C red alert: lol telso coil.
7: The sims 1 all my friends died in a fire, while i was a proffesional thief, good days.
6: Time Crisis 2: yummy yummy lightgun, i am DEADLY if we ever need to fight infra red aliens with laer pistols.
5: Guild Wars, was my main game for about a year, decent pvp fun pve and first MMO requiring you to actualy make your own class.
4: Chrono trig, EPIC EPIC EPIC
3: TF2 amazing, end.
2: Age of conan, this game is awesome, PVP fatalities win much?
1: The elder scrolls 3; morrowind OMG I LOST 3 YEARS OF MY LIFE playing this game, I built my mansion then went about gathering every item in the game  and putting it all my in house.

Budr

06-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I want to be (in) you Dave
Dave

06-17-2008, 09:05 AM

I know, no go help me seed the euro server.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-17-2008, 09:42 AM

(06-17-2008, 09:05 AM)Dave link Wrote: I know, no go help me seed the euro server.

I think he wants to seed more than just the EU server  :O

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Budr

06-17-2008, 09:45 AM

O snap.

Dave you suck at seeding.
Dave

06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

All my friends are american >: (

rumsfald

06-17-2008, 05:34 PM

(06-17-2008, 01:33 PM)Dave link Wrote: All my friends are american >: (
Poor sap. I would have thought taking cheap-shots at America would at least earn you some French friends.

I raise a pint of bitter for you, my lonely chap.
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

(06-17-2008, 06:14 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: Of the games I have played thus far..I'm likely to update this by the end of the year..

5) Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)- The job system in this game was simply incredible. Not only that, but the presentation and storyline are (to me) unequaled inside of the RPG market.

Sorry, but in my opinion Tactics Ogre:  Let us Cling Together trumps FF tactics in every department.  Just my opinion though.  Even if you don't agree I recommend you playing Tactics Ogre one day.  You should appreciate it if you like Tactics games.
Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

06-17-2008, 11:36 PM

I'm a bit of a youngin' relatively speaking, and as such most of my games don't go beyond 1998.  Not to say i haven't played some of the classics and liked them, i just grew up on the new stuff and have more feelings for them.  Anyways, on with the list.

10.) Meteos - DS
      One of the first few games i picked up for my DS, this was also the first puzzle game after Tetris that i seriously played.  The       
      mechanics are simple yet fun, and the sound track layered in makes this a game i go back and play quite often. 
9.)  Banjo-Kazooie - N64
      While not the first collect-athon game to sit in my N64, Banjo-Kazooie sticks out in my mind as the first game to create a legitimate 
      love for a game company (Rareware, before it got butchered).  The quirky charecters, settings, and soundtrack coupled with fairly 
      easy controls ripped right from Mario 64 with some new things added to it made it a classic in my book.
8.)  Jet Force Gemini - N64
      Yet another Rare game from my early days,  JFG was the first "T" rated game that my parents let me play, and i played it near to 
      death.  The weapons and planets were cool and varied (Tri-Rocket launcher ftw!) and it honestly has one of the best video game
      soundtracks ever.  The Water Ruin music is some of my favorite in gaming.
7.)  Metroid Prime - GC
      My first taste of the Metroid series was Metroid Prime, and i loved every moment of it.  The detail in everything was vast, from the 
      visor reflections to the effects on the blaster to the distinct terrains, it was a great combination for FPS and adventuring. 
6.)  Half Life 2 - PC
      I hadn't actually played Half-Life 2 until late last year when the Orange Box came out, and it is my favorite pure 1-player FPS ever. 
      The story was interesting, the combat well paced, and the puzzles were cool.  Plus, nothing really beats the level before
      Nova-Prospekt where you pull a D-Day assault with antlions. 
5.)  System Shock 2 - PC
      A nice blend of RPG stat building, FPS shooting and strafing, and horror game ammo hoarding, System Shock 2 is still one of the most 
      immersive video games i've ever played.  Bonus points for pushing me to loot broken guns, just to harvest one or two bullets.
4.)  Team Fortress 2 - PC
      Partly because it's interesting game play, and partly because of the awesome community here at BRB'U,  Team Fortress 2 will hold a 
      special place in my heart as the game that broke me of WoW.  Also Kor's Sexy Voice.
3.)  Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - GC
      If you own a Gamecube and still haven't played this game, i implore you to get it (if you can find a copy, it should be $10 or less,
      worth every dollar).  The game is a nice mixture of classic adventure gaming with a little weapon and magic combat tossed in for
      good measure.  Set in a Lovecraftian-universe, Ancient Gods battle while their meat-bag pawns slowly go insane.  Good story and a 
      few "oh-shit!" moments make it one of the best games I've ever played.
2.)  Golden Sun - GBA
      There honestly isn't much to say about Golden Sun, it's a JRPG in the vein of the classic 8 and 16-bit Final Fantasy.  I personally 
      enjoyed the story and battle system, and the graphics are top-notch.
1.)  Deus Ex - PC
      Another game i implore everyone to play if they haven't already (no, really, it's $10 on Steam, go buy it, i can wait).  Another
      FPS-RPG hybrid, a little more RPG than FPS as opposed to SS2's FPS with RPG elements,  this game has it all.  Branching story-line,
      open ended objective accomplishment,  interesting characters, dystopian cypberpunk atmosphere, hacking, nano-swords, conspiracy
      theories, everything. 
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM by Greatbacon.)
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Oh shit, Banjo Kazooie. I remember my dad commenting on how good the graphics were when we got it Tongue

dapngwnman
Lurker

06-18-2008, 03:20 AM

Time for some spam!

10 Zelda:Ocarina of Time(N64): Having played the zelda games in the past, I was never that into the series. Rented OOT on a whim, one rainy afternoon. Once I grabbed the trusty slingshot from inside the Deku Tree, I was hooked. Got to the first of the 6 temples, and had to return the game to the store. Proceeded to buy it, and have been a big fan of the Zelda series ever since.

9 Pokemon Red(GB): To this date, the only gameboy game where the link cables have ever been used, Pokemon Red was my first introduction into the dark world of RPG spreadsheet abuse. Trading everyday with friends, exploring every nook for different kinds of pokemon, the game was fantastic. Even after defeating the Elite 4, there was so much to do. Still fun to this day.

8 Battlefield 1942(PC): I had played tribes 1/2 and I loved the vehicles, but the combat was too intense for my tastes. The instant I hopped inside of a Jeep on one end the island in Wake, I was in love. It wasn't even the full game, it was the demo. But there was some allure to the jeep that I could never overcome. No matter how many tanks, nazis, or bombers killed me, the jeep was some beautiful bulldozer of flesh. Plowing someone down just minding their own business walking to a point while you speed off honking the horn will still be the most satisfying kill in FPS for me.

7 Super Mario Bros. (NES): I could read enough, I could barely speak the English language, but when I was little, I could kick Bowser's ass. Watching my brother play countless hours fighting the forces of evil turtles, I had to take my turn. This was my gateway drug, godamn plumbers.

6 Doom (PC): If SMB was my gateway drug to gaming, Doom let me know that the PC was for gaming as well. First person shooting, ultra violence, iddqd. Doom has always been there after a bad day, especially when you need to let off that extra bit of steam on the forces of hell. And now, it can look fairly pretty too!

5 Tetris (GB): Song. A. The song that has forever been stuck in my head. Also, Tetris remains a daily habit. Though I've evolved into Tetris DS, the hours stacking tetrominos to catchy catchy tunes has forever stuck with me.

4 Unreal (PC): I tried Half Life, thought it was shit, and almost gave up on PC gaming. Yet, Unreal kept me around. Amazing music, incredible engine, and my favorite online co-op experience. The map editor was slightly difficult to learn, but it was the only game where I had the passion to map. (Too much work nowadays). Also, I played a mod for it for waayyyy longer than I should've.

3 C&C:Red Alert (PC): Wow. The minute I heard Hell March in the intro, I knew this game was going to be something special. This was the first game that made me go that extra mile to play online. 28.8 modem wary, I dived into the world of RA online. Of course, it started my trend of being absolutely HORRIBLE at RTS games, even though they are my favorite genre. Tesla cannons, attack dogs, Yak strikes. Pure genius and mayhem.

2 Myst (PC): Helped bring CD-ROM drives to the masses, Myst taught me that games are more than just games. They are stories. They are immersive. They are art. I dove head first into the gorgeous worlds, completely envolped in the struggle between two brothers and their father. Puzzles, tricks, and the need to explore was a necessity to play. My love for adventure games will always be rooted in a deep Myst tradition.

1 Deus Ex (PC): My favorite game of all time. It will never be unseated. Unless Deus Ex 3 can be better, doubt it. I read about this game in a magazine sitting in an airport with a delayed flight. I was instantly interested. I read every little tidbit I could find about the game. I got it as soon as it came out. It was even better than everything I'd hoped it to be. Incredibly well done story, chock full with conspiracy theories and secret societies. The music was FANTASTIC, and the atmosphere set by the graphics completely matched what the game was aiming for. I've beaten Deus Ex over 30 times now, and I play through the first level at least once a month. In my eyes, it can do no wrong.
Dave

06-18-2008, 06:09 AM

ah damn i shoyld have added pokemon red, i was playing it and couldnt be arsed watching the cartoon, so i was like OMG WTF IS THAT?!
and my mateswere like hey retard its obviously a fuckin meowth.
also i taught nidorhino thunderbolt and balicly only used him, ever.
good times.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-18-2008, 10:10 PM

10. Banjo-Kazooie. One of the first video games I ever played. It was hard, but that's what made it fun for me. A fun wacky platformer adventure that anyone could love.

9. Super Smash Bros: Melee. I can only think of one game who's multiplayer kept me playing until the next installment came out. Halo 2 Melee's addicting Gameplay and different worlds with an almost perfect fighting system. It's safe to say if you haven't played melee...well, you don't have a Gamecube.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Now lets get one thing straight. I'm a HUGE Zelda fan. Not a single one I haven't played.(Except CD-i and thank God for that) Ocarina of Time was, and still is, one of my fondest childhood memories. Great story, great gameplay, great game.

7. Banjo-Tooie. This game took everything about Banjo-Kazooie and multiplied it by awesome. A darker, more comedic, plotline this time around. Easier than the first game, but much more fun and vast. More worlds, better gameplay, and number 7 on my list.

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker. Yes, the birth of Link on the Gamecube. And it was GREAT. Despite what all critics say, this is one of the best Zelda's. What other game let's you fight with pigs? :O Sailing the Great Sea was fun and action combat was nearly perfect. Loved it. <3

5. Super Mario 64. I got this one a bit later than my others. But it was still that HUGE leap in gaming that other games just couldn't get right. Props to Nintendo on pushing games forward.

4. Super Mario Brothers 3. What can I say that hasn't been said about this game? Great plot, great mechanics, great items, great levels, all that stuff. Incredible game. If you haven't played it, you shall be slapped.

3. Super Mario Galaxy. Mario's outing on the Wii. Kiddy? Check. Not realistic? Check. Mario Platformer? Hecks yeah. Super Mario Galaxy is no doubt one of the Best Platformers dished out by Nintendo that looked nice, played nice, and was a buttload of fun. It really does deserve the multiple critics naming it game of the year.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Ahh yes. Possibly the least popular Zelda in the series. But it was one of the best games of all time. Incredible Story, being able to play as something OTHER than Link, new weapon system, HUGE MAP. The one disadvantage of this game is the time, which can be annoying. But I can't think of anything else but pure fun coming from this game.

1. The Orange Box. A bit obvious. Not really sure if this should be considered a game or not, but it should be. The best deal someone can get that's NOT pirated. 5 AAA games which are all crazy popular. No reason this shouldn't be a buy on every gamers list. Half-Life 2, the game that showed the world the source engine. Portal, the game that made you think differently about puzzle games. Plus TF2. (I feel that it doesn't need an explanation)
The best deal in gaming history.

And that's my 10 cents.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2008, 02:11 AM by KarthXLR.)
exanimo

06-20-2008, 01:37 AM

A really good game to me is one that surprises you every time you play it and requires a lot of input..
10.) Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox);
Can't deny that I didn't have fun with this game. Hosted 16 player LAN battles at my house a few times and attended others. I was ridiculously good at it too.
9.) Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time (N64);
I hate RPGs and platformers, I don't like the story lines, I don't like evolving characters.  I play games that are always changing, always challenging, never the same. This game produced the only story I could ever get into.

Games I still play regularly, that's why they are my top 8.
8.) Perfect Dark/Mario Kart 64 (N64);
Toss up, I couldn't choose. These games have pretty intense multiplayer action. I've spent loads of hours on these.
7.) Super Smash Brothers 64 (N64);
It's a fighting game that anyone can get into.  Simple controls, yet it produces amazingly dense battles.
6.) Street Fighter: Alpha 3 (Arcade/PS/PS2/DreamCast);
Best Street Fighter ever made. That is, until Street Fighter 4 comes out. (LOL!).
5.) StarCraft (Broodwars) (PC);
Best RTS ever made.  It combines strategy with fast paced action and a need for blazing controls and amazing skill. Deep.
4.) Tetris 2 (SNES);
Brilliant.
3.) Super Bomberman (SNES);
A minute to learn, a lifetime to master.. And one hell of a good time.
2.) Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Arcade/DreamCast);
Best fighting game ever made. Period. Great characters, great animation, great mechanics.
1.) Counter-Strike (PC);
The mechanics are incredible.  It's the only game I could play for so many years and never get any better at it. Amazing.
It's not just a game. It's my life. I can't tell you how much this game means to me.  I have never played any game as much as I have this. The amount of hours I put into this game are staggering. It introduced me to the computer/gaming culture and gave me some amazing friends.  It continues to evolve my social life as it led me to more and different computer games.  If I never picked this up, I wouldn't be here today.

...What a waste of time. xD

Edit: Unreal Tournament should be there somewhere.
Vandamguy

06-20-2008, 08:36 AM

(06-20-2008, 01:37 AM)exanimo link Wrote: 1.) Counter-Strike (PC);
If I never picked this up, I wouldn't be here today.

another reason to hate counterstrike.
+1
exanimo

06-20-2008, 03:14 PM

xD. I love you.
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-20-2008, 07:23 PM

(06-20-2008, 01:37 AM)exanimo link Wrote: 6.) Street Fighter: Alpha 3 (Arcade/PS/PS2/DreamCast);
Best Street Fighter ever made. That is, until Street Fighter 4 comes out. (LOL!).

I always thought 2 was better.  Granted 3 was flashier and had more characters but I thought Alpha 2 had better gameplay mechanics and not having to worry about the whole "Isms" was always a plus. 

Also, you are lucky that you live nowhere near me because I would own you in both Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Mark of the Wolves Smile
exanimo

06-21-2008, 09:30 PM

You're on, Tragic. Anytime I'm in your area I'm there. Big Grin