Hello There, Guest! Register

Top 10 Games Thread
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-27-2008, 05:17 PM

(06-27-2008, 05:12 PM)dapngwnman link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=525.msg16685#msg16685 date=1214599110]
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34978.html

Most fail list ever

No Deux Ex, No System Shock 2, Halo ranked higher than HL

Neither Halo nor HL should rank in my opinion.
[/quote]
I'm sad to admit, but Goldeneye shouldn't be on that list.

Yes, it pushed FPS to next generation, we know. But there are bigger and better games now.
Half-Life 2
Deus Ex
CoD4 (Which should've been ranked lower IMO)
System Shock

Ugh, it's time to move on. Goldeneye hasn't stood the test of time like other games, such as...idda' know, Super Mario Bros 3.
dapngwnman
Lurker

06-27-2008, 05:23 PM

(06-27-2008, 05:15 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: You have to be kidding me, HL1 was the first FPS that wasn't a maze with a button at the end to press

HL2 brought in some amazing physics, and while it may feel dated now, don't tell me you didn't get a woody the first time you used the gravity gun.

Nah, HL never excited me really. Personally, I thought Unreal was far superior to HL. The only reason I played HL2 was because I got it for free with my 9600XT. I played it about a year after it came out, and sometimes those physics puzzles felt so out of place. It was like FUCK YEAH AWESOME ACTION SEQUENCE...oh wait everything stopped and I have to do a physics puzzle. Bleh. Really turned me off on the game. I've had Episode 2 on my computer since I pre-loaded TF2, still have yet to play it. The voiceless main character also PISSES ME OFF. I dunno, just feel like the HL series is overrated.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-27-2008, 05:28 PM

(06-27-2008, 05:23 PM)dapngwnman link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=525.msg16735#msg16735 date=1214604954]
You have to be kidding me, HL1 was the first FPS that wasn't a maze with a button at the end to press

HL2 brought in some amazing physics, and while it may feel dated now, don't tell me you didn't get a woody the first time you used the gravity gun.

Nah, HL never excited me really. Personally, I thought Unreal was far superior to HL. The only reason I played HL2 was because I got it for free with my 9600XT. I played it about a year after it came out, and sometimes those physics puzzles felt so out of place. It was like FUCK YEAH AWESOME ACTION SEQUENCE...oh wait everything stopped and I have to do a physics puzzle. Bleh. Really turned me off on the game. I've had Episode 2 on my computer since I pre-loaded TF2, still have yet to play it. The voiceless main character also PISSES ME OFF. I dunno, just feel like the HL series is overrated.
[/quote]
No duh.
But overrated doesn't mean it's not good, keep that in mind. :3
dapngwnman
Lurker

06-27-2008, 05:47 PM

I personally don't think it is a top 10 game. Of course the general opinion of the series is fantastic, I think that there are other games that deserve it more.
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

06-28-2008, 12:15 AM

Spore's Top 10 Games
Your opinions are WRONG

10: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - I got this just recently and  it was the first Metal Gear Solid game I have ever played.  It was epic. The graphics are some of the best for the PS2.  I mean, how does it do this?! The Metal Gear Solid theme  originally from MGS2 is now on of my favorite videogame  themes of all time. Also, the battle against The End and The  Shagohad are some of the most epic. EVAR. ):<

9: Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC,PS3,360) - The best  Half-Life the whole way through.

8: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - So when this came  out people said it was too different from Ocarina of Time.  When Twilight Princess came out people said it was too  similar to Ocarina of Time. Fuck you, people. This game is  great and an awesome addition to the series. There is no  other game like this and everything is executed so  perfectly. This game is awesome.

7: Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - This game is stunning in  every single way. The musical score is incredible, the huge  world is vast and lonely creating a sense of scale I haven't  witness in a video game ever and of course, the colossi are  amazing beasts. There has never been a game like this  attempted and it was great to see a studio with the balls to  make something truly unique and beautiful.

6: Super Mario World (SNES) - So one day I walk downstairs  and I see my dad playing one of those new fangled Super  Nintendo's with Super Mario World. Thus began my first  console game. The grpahics are great and lively, the  gameplay is the most perfected 2D Mario title in every way and the music is awesome.

5: Team Fortress 2 (PC and PS3/360 (but who gives a shit  about those)) - BONK!

4: Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) (PC/Mac) - I am ashamed  of all of you for not seeing this game here once. Yeah, it  is indie and yeah, it is awesome. I shouldn't need to  explain why this game is here to anybody who has played it  and all I need to say to anybody who hasn't is  get it. Also,  english translation patch.

3: Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - I know it is cliche to  have this on a "best games list" but fuck you it deserves  it.

2: Kirby Superstar (SNES) - This is by far my favorite SNES  game ever made. If you haven't played it you are going to  Hell. It says so right on the 11 commandments. Commandment  11, "Thou shalt play Kirby Superstar". Straight from God, to  Moses, to Wikipedia, to you. The game has some of the best  sprites and animations on the SNES and the music, sounds  and of course gameplay are all equally amazing. Not to  mention 2 Player Coop throughout the whole game. Save your souls from Hell with a buddy!

1: Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) - So here it is. Spore's  first game, Spore's first choice for favorite game, and  Spore's third Zelda game on this list. It is incredibly  annoying that this is one of the more overlooked Zelda  games. This Zelda game got pretty much everything right. The  characters were varied and funny, the dungeons were  challenging, the end boss was incredible for a Gameboy of  the time and the game just played out perfectly. Oh, you  could also steal from the store. The game had secrets, great  graphics, awesome handheld music, the first Zelda fishing  game, and a real sense of that Nintendo magic that only  continues to diminish as more shitty party games and  shovelware get shat into Nintendo's market.  When Nintendo  has the balls to make a good 2D Zelda again, gimme a call.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2008, 12:20 AM by Spore.)
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-28-2008, 12:20 AM

(06-27-2008, 03:38 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34978.html

Most fail list ever

Eh. Just the fact that DOOM 3 (which is a shit game) was on the list, and Wolf 3D (which was a good game... over 15 years ago...) and GoldenEye (which was a good console fps... over 10 years ago...) ranked so highly (give them a token mention, but that's all) invalidated it for me. Tongue

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

06-28-2008, 12:36 AM

(06-28-2008, 12:20 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=525.msg16685#msg16685 date=1214599110]

Most fail list ever

Eh. Just the fact that DOOM 3 (which is a shit game) was on the list, and Wolf 3D (which was a good game... over 15 years ago...) and GoldenEye (which was a good console fps... over 10 years ago...) ranked so highly (give them a token mention, but that's all) invalidated it for me. Tongue
[/quote]

Well, Wolf 3D (start of the genre) and Goldeneye (first good console FPS) are def. welcome on the list for the ground they broke... Halo and Doom 3 OTOH are not...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

06-28-2008, 01:19 AM

(06-28-2008, 12:36 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=525.msg16834#msg16834 date=1214630418]
[quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=525.msg16685#msg16685 date=1214599110]

Most fail list ever

[/quote]

Well, Wolf 3D (start of the genre) and Goldeneye (first good console FPS) are def. welcome on the list for the ground they broke... Halo and Doom 3 OTOH are not...
[/quote]

I agree with Wolf 3D and goldeneye being on the list, but GE shouldn't be #1, if anything, a game that wasnt even on the list, Deus Ex, should be #1 FPS of all time, failing that Half Life 1 or 2, or perhaps Quake 1 or 2.

Games that should have been on the list...
Tribes
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Planetside or WWII Online
TF/TFC/TF2
Unreal Tournament

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
exanimo

06-28-2008, 03:52 AM

(06-28-2008, 12:15 AM)Spore link Wrote:
Spore's Top 10 Games
Your opinions are WRONG

10: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - I got this just recently and  it was the first Metal Gear Solid game I have ever played.  It was epic. The graphics are some of the best for the PS2.  I mean, how does it do this?! The Metal Gear Solid theme  originally from MGS2 is now on of my favorite videogame  themes of all time. Also, the battle against The End and The  Shagohad are some of the most epic. EVAR. ):<

9: Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC,PS3,360) - The best  Half-Life the whole way through.

8: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - So when this came  out people said it was too different from Ocarina of Time.  When Twilight Princess came out people said it was too  similar to Ocarina of Time. Fuck you, people. This game is  great and an awesome addition to the series. There is no  other game like this and everything is executed so  perfectly. This game is awesome.

7: Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - This game is stunning in  every single way. The musical score is incredible, the huge  world is vast and lonely creating a sense of scale I haven't  witness in a video game ever and of course, the colossi are  amazing beasts. There has never been a game like this  attempted and it was great to see a studio with the balls to  make something truly unique and beautiful.

6: Super Mario World (SNES) - So one day I walk downstairs  and I see my dad playing one of those new fangled Super  Nintendo's with Super Mario World. Thus began my first  console game. The grpahics are great and lively, the  gameplay is the most perfected 2D Mario title in every way and the music is awesome.

5: Team Fortress 2 (PC and PS3/360 (but who gives a shit  about those)) - BONK!

4: Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) (PC/Mac) - I am ashamed  of all of you for not seeing this game here once. Yeah, it  is indie and yeah, it is awesome. I shouldn't need to  explain why this game is here to anybody who has played it  and all I need to say to anybody who hasn't is  get it. Also,  english translation patch.

3: Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - I know it is cliche to  have this on a "best games list" but fuck you it deserves  it.

2: Kirby Superstar (SNES) - This is by far my favorite SNES  game ever made. If you haven't played it you are going to  Hell. It says so right on the 11 commandments. Commandment  11, "Thou shalt play Kirby Superstar". Straight from God, to  Moses, to Wikipedia, to you. The game has some of the best  sprites and animations on the SNES and the music, sounds  and of course gameplay are all equally amazing. Not to  mention 2 Player Coop throughout the whole game. Save your souls from Hell with a buddy!

1: Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) - So here it is. Spore's  first game, Spore's first choice for favorite game, and  Spore's third Zelda game on this list. It is incredibly  annoying that this is one of the more overlooked Zelda  games. This Zelda game got pretty much everything right. The  characters were varied and funny, the dungeons were  challenging, the end boss was incredible for a Gameboy of  the time and the game just played out perfectly. Oh, you  could also steal from the store. The game had secrets, great  graphics, awesome handheld music, the first Zelda fishing  game, and a real sense of that Nintendo magic that only  continues to diminish as more shitty party games and  shovelware get shat into Nintendo's market.  When Nintendo  has the balls to make a good 2D Zelda again, gimme a call.
Where is Earthworm Jim?
Budr

06-28-2008, 04:06 AM

(06-28-2008, 12:15 AM)Spore link Wrote: 7: Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - This game is stunning in  every single way. The musical score is incredible, the huge  world is vast and lonely creating a sense of scale I haven't  witness in a video game ever and of course, the colossi are  amazing beasts. There has never been a game like this  attempted and it was great to see a studio with the balls to  make something truly unique and beautiful.

I can't believe we're near the bottom of page 5 and this is only the second mention of SotC. If I could think of 10 games, this would easily be top 3. Nice list, Spore.
exanimo

06-28-2008, 04:07 AM

While Shadow of Colossus wowed me ... It didn't have the main thing that I look for in a game ... replayability.
rumsfald

06-28-2008, 09:08 AM

[Image: Star_control_i_yehat_terminator_databank.png]
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-28-2008, 09:56 AM

(06-28-2008, 09:08 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [Image: Star_control_i_yehat_terminator_databank.png]

Star Control?
I've only played the second one.  Excellent game.

Also Doom 3 does not belong on any top 10 list.  One of the most mediocre games I've ever played.

cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

06-28-2008, 10:21 AM

(06-28-2008, 09:56 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: Also Doom 3 does not belong on any top 10 list.  One of the most mediocre games I've ever played.

I have to agree. It was good enough for a playthrough, but that is about it. I think Quake 4 was better actually..still mediocre but it was a nice diversion.

ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

06-28-2008, 12:32 PM

(06-28-2008, 12:36 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: Well, Wolf 3D (start of the genre) and Goldeneye (first good console FPS) are def. welcome on the list for the ground they broke... Halo and Doom 3 OTOH are not...

Wolf 3D wasn't the start of the genre. Honestly it wasn't even the one that popularized the genre (personally I'd give that credit to DOOM). Like Caff said it's nice to see them on the list, but they should have been nothing more than honourable mentions at the bottom of the list.

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

06-28-2008, 01:34 PM

(06-28-2008, 03:52 AM)exanimo link Wrote: Where is Earthworm Jim?

I forgot Earthworm Jim along with Unreal Tournament 2004. Oops.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
exanimo

06-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Idiot.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-28-2008, 11:52 PM

lol. I remember renting Earthworm Jim in like 1996/1997 or so. I was nub at it. Sad

Geoff
Real World Azn

06-29-2008, 09:57 AM

(06-28-2008, 11:52 PM)Versus link Wrote: lol. I remember renting Earthworm Jim in like 1996/1997 or so. I was nub at it. Sad

Earthworm an easy game, it ain't.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

06-29-2008, 09:59 AM

(06-29-2008, 09:57 AM)Geoff link Wrote: [quote author=Versus link=topic=525.msg17148#msg17148 date=1214715171]
lol. I remember renting Earthworm Jim in like 1996/1997 or so. I was nub at it. Sad

Earthworm an easy game, it ain't.
[/quote]

It was a pretty easy game until you got to the level where you are a worm (I think) just floating around.  That was such a shitty stage.