Hello There, Guest! Register

The Movie Thread
Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

The Hobbit was really good, you should all see it.

[move][/move]
matter11
BRB, Posting

12-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Tuning in and out of Forbidden Planet with Robbie the robot.

[Image: SKihE.gif]
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-16-2012, 05:11 AM

I watched Moon.

It's a movie with a guy named Sam, a robot with a smiley face called GERTY, and a mining operation on the moon.

Not a single alien, laser gun, spaceship, or explosion in sight.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Squishy3
Closet Furry

12-16-2012, 06:43 PM

another yes for the hobbit, also 48 48 was great, is kind of weird at first but you get used to it. fuck da haters

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

12-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Perks of Being a Wallflower was surprisingly good. The story is extremely relate-able, well not the particulars but the overall themes at least.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Someone let Alan Moore near a video camera....

Jimmy's End - Alan Moore & Mitch Jenkins

Dear.... god.....
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

12-23-2012, 09:32 PM

(12-23-2012, 12:58 PM)HeK link Wrote: Someone let Alan Moore near a video camera....

Jimmy's End - Alan Moore & Mitch Jenkins

Dear.... god.....

I love Alan Moore, but knowing Alan Moore I'm not sure if I want to brave this.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
rumsfald

12-23-2012, 10:25 PM

what a summer movie season was like 30 years ago

http://youtu.be/Wf39eB1YGUo
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-24-2012, 12:12 AM

Looper was pretty good.  My only complaint is that there were a few obvious plot holes, but nothing significant enough to ruin the movie.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-24-2012, 09:45 PM

This past week I've watched The Hobbit, which I enjoyed...Skyfall was really good and probably the best of the new Bonds, and I just watched the most Christmasy movie of all, Paranorman, which was a good family film.  Some slightly dark humor, not the kind that really panders to kids, so it's enjoyable for anyone.  Really good stop motion also.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

12-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Finally saw The Hobbit at 48 frames. The movie itself is great, I enjoyed it the whole way through, despite a few hiccups. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen are great and Andy Serkis hasn't aged a day as Gollum, it's like he finished shooting LotR the other day. All the dwarves are fun to watch, the movie is visually gorgeous, and the action sequences are great. There are a handful of moments where I'd agree they went too far with the CG but overall I felt the use very appropriate. Howard Shore is just as good as he was with the original trilogy's soundtrack.

Now the new High Frame Rate...that's something else. It's kind of alienating to a lot of people. I can see why Peter Jackson wants to use it, but I fail to see the reason he values it above 24 frames. To simplify what I'm talking about, here's a list of what I found improved or weakened by the higher frame rate.

Better:
  • Action Sequences
  • Roaming shots
  • Dolly shots
  • 3D (although it still isn't anything to write home about)

Worse:
  • Overall Movement
  • Dramatic look (loss of motion blur)
  • CGI (All the animation looks entirely too smooth, like something out of a video game)
  • Immersion

The higher frame rate hurts the movie more than it helps.
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-28-2012, 04:19 AM

I saw what I am almost completely certain was the high frame rate version of the Hobbit. The actors are great and it was a nice movie, though I felt like it was dragged out longer than it needed to be. Stretching a story like the Hobbit out to Lord of the Rings length wasn't exactly necessary. It was pretty easy to tell where the filler was stuck. As far as the high frame rate goes: it bugged the heck out of me because the (well done) CGI was never allowed to blend in with the "real" elements of the movie, whether it was in an action scene or not. It didn't make the movie look terrible, but I wouldn't have been taken out of it as much if it were the standard, more natural looking framerate.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Looper was excellent, Total Recall remake was utter shite.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

12-28-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm really lazy today so I'm just copy/pasting my reviews from letterboxd.

Django Unchained:
Quote:Pulpy, funny, extremely violent and well-written. Unfortunately Django fails to deliver the tension obtained in older westerns or even his previous efforts. Still a great watch with some utterly fantastic performances.
Les Miserables (2012)
Quote:The bombastic approach to the classic material is wildly ambitious and imaginative, but can't shake off its many flaws:

The camera work is shoddy.
The opera approach hurts the story immensely.
The choppy editing kills all beauty of the gorgeous set design.
Russel Crowe can't sing.

Even with moments of brilliance such as Sacha Baron Cohen's rendition of "Master of the House" and Anne Hathaway's short-but-memorable performance, the movie is bogged down by an enormous running time, a failure to understand its material, and some very inappropriate choices during filming. It hurts to say that what must have been an extremely difficult production is so forgettable, but I can't recommend this to anyone. It is simply a beautiful bore with a handful of good moments.
Glengarry Glen Ross
Quote:A character film. Only a handful of sets, but full of so many gripping performances your eyes will be glued to the screen for every second. Anger flows through the movie's story as a theme but also as a detractor. Why do these men work such miserable jobs? Are they obsessed with the possibility of success? Do they linger on past victories, convinced that their drought is only temporary?

The 100 minutes of film is all-acting, no distractions. And it's brilliant.
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-29-2012, 01:07 AM

Just saw Les Mis tonight. I really liked it as it followed the novel quite well (hence the almost 3hr running time Tongue)
This damn movie made me and my friends tear up so many times haha.
The only thing that I disliked was Hugh Jackman's singing. He sounded like a heavy smoker.
I also disliked the script for Sascha Baron Cohens character. No self-respecting 1800s French man would say "whatever." His lines in general just seemed out of place for the time period.
I didn't think Russell Crowe's singing was that bad actually.
Huge ups for Anne Hathaway.
And Les Miserables has one of the best musical soundtracks as always.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

12-29-2012, 02:42 AM

you know, there's a very definite rub to gaining more knowledge than everyone around you in a certain area- you can get too tied up in the details.  Things are wrong, and you know they're wrong, but sometimes you forget that the only reason you noticed they're wrong is because you know more about the subject than almost every other motherfucker around. 

Chooly
BRB, Posting

12-29-2012, 08:17 AM

(12-29-2012, 02:42 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: you know, there's a very definite rub to gaining more knowledge than everyone around you in a certain area- you can get too tied up in the details.  Things are wrong, and you know they're wrong, but sometimes you forget that the only reason you noticed they're wrong is because you know more about the subject than almost every other motherfucker around. 

This meant for the FML thread?

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
Totla
Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

01-02-2013, 01:03 AM

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

This movie is so great. I loved it so much.

(09-14-2010, 10:54 PM)Kor link Wrote:I'm pretty sure my mental image of Tort is 100% accurate now.

TORT IS CARVED OUT OF GRANITE.

Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

01-02-2013, 02:53 AM

(01-02-2013, 01:03 AM)Tortilla link Wrote: I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

This movie is so great. I loved it so much.

You got change for a hundred?

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
rumsfald

01-02-2013, 08:08 PM

pour it in my hand for a dime.