Hello There, Guest! Register

Official BRB Uninstalling City Post
bjlsurfer
Lurker

08-15-2008, 12:20 AM

Yeah, a region sounds sweet.
So are we gonna keep going on this city for now?  How do I know when it's my turn?
Tragic Hero
Too Asexual For A Custom Title

08-15-2008, 12:23 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:20 AM)bjlsurfer link Wrote: Yeah, a region sounds sweet.
So are we gonna keep going on this city for now?  How do I know when it's my turn?

The very first post I have a list.  Scotty is up at the moment and once he is done then goes the next person and so forth.  You are second to last I believe.
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

08-15-2008, 08:09 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:23 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=bjlsurfer link=topic=1091.msg30734#msg30734 date=1218777604]
Yeah, a region sounds sweet.

The very first post I have a list.  Scotty is up at the moment and once he is done then goes the next person and so forth.  You are second to last I believe.
[/quote]

Sorry, sorting out things for my move and getting things ready for FNF didn't leave me any time to work on it last night. Tonight and/or tomorrow shall see if my stagnant-inducing skills are as good as they used to be. Wink

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 08:11 AM

if you guys do end up doing a brbu house in the Sims2, i'd hit it.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-15-2008, 08:22 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:11 AM)TDlove link Wrote: if you guys do end up doing a brbu house in the Sims2, i'd hit it.

Tragic Hero

08-15-2008, 09:04 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:11 AM)TDlove link Wrote: if you guys do end up doing a brbu house in the Sims2, i'd hit it.

Make your project TD.  The only reason I wouldn't play is because I would have the urge to steal peoples wives/girlfriends and kill other members of the neighborhood.
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 09:40 AM

(08-15-2008, 09:04 AM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=TDlove link=topic=1091.msg30801#msg30801 date=1218805894]

Make your project TD.  The only reason I wouldn't play is because I would have the urge to steal peoples wives/girlfriends and kill other members of the neighborhood.
[/quote]

hahah, i wouldn't mind the gf/wife stealing bit, but so long as you can resist the urge to murder another person, it could still be good fun Tongue

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-15-2008, 11:15 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:22 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=TDlove link=topic=1091.msg30801#msg30801 date=1218805894]
[/quote]

(08-15-2008, 09:40 AM)TDlove link Wrote: [quote author=Tragic Hero link=topic=1091.msg30810#msg30810 date=1218809046]
[quote author=TDlove link=topic=1091.msg30801#msg30801 date=1218805894]

[/quote]

hahah, i wouldn't mind the gf/wife stealing bit, but so long as you can resist the urge to murder another person, it could still be good fun Tongue
[/quote]

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-15-2008, 11:55 AM

There are a few potential issues with doing a brbu house in the sims 2 though.

We would all have to have the same expansion packs, or some certain content will break the gaem or make it otherwise strange (but most likely break it) for people trying to play who don't have it.

Also, if you have any downloaded extra content (like i do, huge folder) that would have to be duplicated or removed. Everyone has to basically have the same setup or the next person won't be able to add on.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Can't we just all have our own house or something? I thought that these games also worked online, do you only get to play online with people who have identical setups? If so, super weak!  ??? ??? ???

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-15-2008, 12:03 PM

This game doesn't play online, not just the standard sims 2.

What I originally thought would happen is that one person would start by making a house: either their own with themselves living in it or a large enough one that everyone could live in it and add to it later. After playing for x mount of time, there is a feature in the game which allows you to "package" your house or neighbourhood, so that someone else with the game can download it and use it in their game. Then they would add what they want, take their turn, and it would continue.

So no, no playing online simultaneously  with others; and yes identical setups are needed OR you can ONLY build using content from the same games that others have, and again with no downloaded content, which is equally impossible; content isn't marked and you'd need a good memory.
Tragic Hero

08-15-2008, 05:58 PM

(08-15-2008, 12:03 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: This game doesn't play online, not just the standard sims 2.

What I originally thought would happen is that one person would start by making a house: either their own with themselves living in it or a large enough one that everyone could live in it and add to it later. After playing for x mount of time, there is a feature in the game which allows you to "package" your house or neighbourhood, so that someone else with the game can download it and use it in their game. Then they would add what they want, take their turn, and it would continue.

So no, no playing online simultaneously  with others; and yes identical setups are needed OR you can ONLY build using content from the same games that others have, and again with no downloaded content, which is equally impossible; content isn't marked and you'd need a good memory.

Well in that case we should just stick with sims 2.  Now how about someone go make a separate post about this and let's get back to simcity 4?
Chaosye
Lurker

08-15-2008, 08:34 PM

(08-15-2008, 05:58 PM)Tragic Hero link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=1091.msg30863#msg30863 date=1218819785]
This game doesn't play online, not just the standard sims 2.

Well in that case we should just stick with sims 2.  Now how about someone go make a separate post about this and let's get back to simcity 4?
[/quote]And you said we might do it right after I sold my copy of Sims 2 >:C

:3
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-15-2008, 09:57 PM

*not* downloading it Tongue

ScottyGrayskull

08-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Alright, I uploaded the city to Duck's space. Best of luck with it Bjlsurfer! Smile

[Image: BRB!Uninstalling-City-25-1.jpg]

As you can see I did a massive expansion of the highway, and did a lot of residential and commercial development to the south. The population is now sitting at 94500, which is quite a jump from when I started. I think the next stage is to accommodate for the growth with additional medical and educational services. I did my best to start that, and thankfully we're still in the black to about 2500 a month. Unfortunately a lot of the highway expansion was done near the end, so you only have about 25000 in cash to work with.

The big problems I tried to tackle was the pollution and traffic. For traffic I upgraded some problem streets to roads, did the aforementioned highway expansion, added several bus stations, and started a subway system. Currently there's three subway stops right in the heart of the busy residential and commercial core. They're pretty pricey though, so only buy them if you don't plan on buying anything else for at least a few months. One thing that bugs me is that you can't seem to have avenues cross each other, which makes no sense as I've seen it done irl.

The other big problem, pollution, I didn't fare so well with. It's definitely hurting the industrial sector, although they're in a bit of a catch 22 as they're the ones polluting the water, and when the water plants get shut down for pollution the buildings become vacant due to a lack of water. I started replacing chunks of vacant industrial lots with parks and what not to help with the air pollution, and planted trees in just about every free tile I could find around the industrial sector. It's helped with the air pollution somewhat, but water is still a problem. To be honest though I haven't understood the water systems since Sim City 2000...

[Image: BRB!Uninstalling-City-25-2.jpg]

Another addition you'll notice is an airport! Well... A landing strip. I got bugged enough about it, but couldn't afford a proper airport so I build the strip. It's already been upgraded to a large airstrip, and last I checked was still running almost at capacity. If you get the cash to spare an airport would definitely work.

Tragic Hero

08-17-2008, 04:34 PM

good work on the city.  The only thing about water I don't get is where to place water treatment plants.  Airport is an excellent touch.  I think we need a university and some more educational civics
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-17-2008, 05:06 PM

The Bonertron still stands tall!

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-17-2008, 05:10 PM

nice job. Don't put your water pumps anywhere near industrial zones, and avenues CAN cross each other, they just work like this:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1646/...opyae2.jpg

On the left: streets/roads are gray, avenues are black.

On the right: existing avenue is black, avenue that cannot be built is red, streets/roads are gray.

Basically, you can't build avenues if there is a road that would be in the way if you kept extending the avenue.

ScottyGrayskull

08-17-2008, 05:24 PM

(08-17-2008, 05:10 PM)Versus link Wrote: nice job. Don't put your water pumps anywhere near industrial zones, and avenues CAN cross each other, they just work like this:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1646/...opyae2.jpg

On the left: streets/roads are gray, avenues are black.

On the right: existing avenue is black, avenue that cannot be built is red, streets/roads are gray.

Basically, you can't build avenues if there is a road that would be in the way if you kept extending the avenue.

Hmmm... Okay... I wonder why it wasn't working... Maybe I was trying to make a t-intersection with the avenues. I was trying to make an e/w one to link the n/s ones, but even when I demolished the area it wouldn't let me. Maybe that was why. :S

Anyways, I would like to take this opportunity to say that the isometric perspective makes placing highways, and doing anything with or working around height, a pain. I had to reload quite a few times while figuring out the t-junctions for the highways. Tongue

bjlsurfer
Lurker

08-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Downloading the file now. It'll probably take me a few days, hopefully I don't screw it up too much!