Hello There, Guest! Register

Gaming Headset
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

05-27-2009, 01:46 PM

look on newegg.com
its cheaper than best buy

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-27-2009, 02:03 PM

I needed new headphones and a better mic solution (kept getting people bitching about my stereo array mic since its too far from me) so I got a pair of Creative HS-1000's. They're super comfy and have a detachable mic and inline mute switch + volume control.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

05-27-2009, 02:05 PM

(05-27-2009, 02:03 PM)at0m link Wrote: I needed new headphones and a better mic solution (kept getting people bitching about my stereo array mic since its too far from me) so I got a pair of Creative HS-1000's. They're super comfy and have a detachable mic and inline mute switch + volume control.

That's a little more than 20 dollars. I got some logitech junk for around 20 bucks and it worked out fine for 5 months of what was probably misuse, so they'd most likely last you awhile.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

05-27-2009, 02:50 PM

(05-27-2009, 01:36 PM)WAY too easy link Wrote: necroing a thread instead of making a new one. Same question, I'm finally replacing my mic and decding to get an actual headset this time around. Any suggestion, not to stingy, but +$20 seems a little much. Any tips?

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-27-2009, 02:57 PM

(05-27-2009, 02:05 PM)Honest link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=1144.msg86315#msg86315 date=1243451001]
I needed new headphones and a better mic solution (kept getting people bitching about my stereo array mic since its too far from me) so I got a pair of Creative HS-1000's. They're super comfy and have a detachable mic and inline mute switch + volume control.

That's a little more than 20 dollars. I got some logitech junk for around 20 bucks and it worked out fine for 5 months of what was probably misuse, so they'd most likely last you awhile.
[/quote]In my experience, you can either drop $20 three or four times, or you can drop a smidge more and get something that's going to perform better and actually last.

zaneyard

05-27-2009, 02:59 PM

(05-27-2009, 02:57 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Honest link=topic=1144.msg86316#msg86316 date=1243451128]
[quote author=at0m link=topic=1144.msg86315#msg86315 date=1243451001]

[/quote]In my experience, you can either drop $20 three or four times, or you can drop a smidge more and get something that's going to perform better and actually last.
[/quote]
20 bucks for a headset is very low if you want quality
30-50 is a better range if you want a good quality set

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-29-2009, 10:36 AM

I got a F4tal1ty headset from Best Buy because I had a gift card and I'm not going to lie I <3 it.  I know this probably going to cause some facepalming but I've been more than happy with it and if I had to buy it again with my own money I definitely might (there are probably better ones for less though at places other than BB).

But yea it was about $80.  In my experience you really should be spending around that if you can.  It comes down a lot to comfort with me.  My last pair were $40 and were extremely uncomfortable after long playing sessions (I have sensitive ears).  Plus there really was a difference in sound quality - everything is richer and more engaging.  I don't know how great the mic is (someone else will have to answer that) but it is definitely the quality level if not the price level I will stick to from now on.

So basically if you can get together the extra cash it really does make a difference.  I hated my old headphones even though they were $40 and I expected them to be decent.

Edit: oh shit just noticed I got the ones atom recommended.  I second his recommendation.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM by Surf314.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-29-2009, 11:24 AM

(05-29-2009, 10:36 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I got a F4tal1ty headset from Best Buy because I had a gift card and I'm not going to lie I <3 it.  I know this probably going to cause some facepalming but I've been more than happy with it and if I had to buy it again with my own money I definitely might (there are probably better ones for less though at places other than BB).

But yea it was about $80.  In my experience you really should be spending around that if you can.  It comes down a lot to comfort with me.  My last pair were $40 and were extremely uncomfortable after long playing sessions (I have sensitive ears).  Plus there really was a difference in sound quality - everything is richer and more engaging.  I don't know how great the mic is (someone else will have to answer that) but it is definitely the quality level if not the price level I will stick to from now on.

So basically if you can get together the extra cash it really does make a difference.  I hated my old headphones even though they were $40 and I expected them to be decent.

Edit: oh shit just noticed I got the ones atom recommended.  I second his recommendation.
Did you get the USB ones or the regular ones?

Blues
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

I've used everything from 5$ knockoffs that I don't even remember where I got them from, to some 150$ Fatality type gaming uber headset with a bluetooth wireless option.

Product quality-wise, you can make a 15$ Wal-Mart headset last for years. An uber gaming headset can be fucked up in a couple months. That all really boils down to how you treat your equipment.

Personally, I prefer a good 20$ wal-mart pair. I can't justify spending 80$ to hear extra bass in my explosions.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-29-2009, 12:00 PM

(05-29-2009, 11:24 AM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1144.msg86734#msg86734 date=1243611380]
I got a F4tal1ty headset from Best Buy because I had a gift card and I'm not going to lie I <3 it.  I know this probably going to cause some facepalming but I've been more than happy with it and if I had to buy it again with my own money I definitely might (there are probably better ones for less though at places other than BB).

Did you get the USB ones or the regular ones?
[/quote]

USB

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
zaneyard

05-29-2009, 12:25 PM

i used a shit logitech 15 dollar headset for about 8 years til i bought the Plantronics Gamecom 377 for like 30 bucks on sale
it was well worth the money

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Blues
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 12:31 PM

30 bucks for a better headset is one thing, 80-100 is another.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Vlambo
BRB, Posting

05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

i have a bad track record with headsets. They usually are $30 ones from walmart, and only last me a few months
Elder
BRB, Posting

01-24-2013, 12:39 AM

bump*

my old headset is garbage now after 3 patch jobs its finally broken down and become nearly unrepairable (meaning i would need to spend money to fix it)
So im looking for a new one now and found this thread, recommendations?

price range: less than $50
requirements: wired (most wireless is garbage in my opinion)

anything goes really it could be a headset or desktop mic i dont care as long as its not too pricey as mentioned above and is durable (can survive a drop)
my old one (turtle beach earforce z2) fell about 2 feet and for some reason it has a tiny plastic rail system in it, and that whole component as well as some of the outer casing shattered and snapped apart..

(06-15-2014, 03:27 PM)negate link Wrote:Hah elder you would be ramming it into Dtrains ass.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-24-2013, 06:50 AM

The headset I've been using (and telling people is awesome) for years is the Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000 USB headset. It's sturdy, has an inline mute switch and volume control, a removable boom mic, and I throw it around at my desk all the time with no issues. But it was nearly a hundred bucks, everyone's skeptical of USB audio for some reason (it's better than onboard, less ground hum), and now they don't make it any more.

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

01-26-2013, 01:24 PM

(01-24-2013, 06:50 AM)at0m link Wrote: The headset I've been using (and telling people is awesome) for years is the Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000 USB headset. It's sturdy, has an inline mute switch and volume control, a removable boom mic, and I throw it around at my desk all the time with no issues. But it was nearly a hundred bucks, everyone's skeptical of USB audio for some reason (it's better than onboard, less ground hum), and now they don't make it any more.

Well, there's still this one, but it's not precisely the same as you're describing.

In my experience (I go through a lot of headsets, my current Carcharias is my ninth), I prefer 3.5mm over USB. USB has always had odd quirks, from not playing audio from select programs, to (more annoyingly) emitting whining or scratching sounds. With that in mind, my recommendations:

Plantronics .Audio 355 - Plantronics has always made solid headsets, and the only reason that the three that I have owned have failed was because I was too abusive with them. For reference, when I fucking broke the casing on my gamecom, the headset continued to function because the internal wiring was thickly insulated and wasn't damaged. This guy isn't quite circumaural (what I prefer), but it's not bad.

Steelseries 4H - Going in the other direction, this is a pretty bulky mamma jamma. It's got all of your usual features (inline control, etc), my only concern might be how sturdy the band is. But again, I abuse my headsets.

CM Storm Sonuz - Okay, I shouldn't honestly recommend this one because it's pretty new on the market and I've never tried it, but I've been pretty enamored with the CM Storm line.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-26-2013, 07:42 PM

(01-26-2013, 01:24 PM)Eightball link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=1144.msg260770#msg260770 date=1359028223]
The headset I've been using (and telling people is awesome) for years is the Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000 USB headset. It's sturdy, has an inline mute switch and volume control, a removable boom mic, and I throw it around at my desk all the time with no issues. But it was nearly a hundred bucks, everyone's skeptical of USB audio for some reason (it's better than onboard, less ground hum), and now they don't make it any more.
Well, there's still this one, but it's not precisely the same as you're describing.

In my experience (I go through a lot of headsets, my current Carcharias is my ninth), I prefer 3.5mm over USB. USB has always had odd quirks, from not playing audio from select programs, to (more annoyingly) emitting whining or scratching sounds. With that in mind, my recommendations:
[/quote]Can't vouch for the 3.5mm ones, because they aren't the ones I own. Your comments about scratching/whining, I've had the reverse problem - for every machine I've had that didn't have a discrete sound card (aka onboard audio), I've had all sorts of hum and buzz on 3.5mm

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

01-27-2013, 08:21 AM

I started with cheap $15 pair of logitech like someone else here said and I don't feel like reading up.
I have used the steelseries 4H one of my first "gaming branded" headsets, they were actually fantastic, got them on sale for like $40 (back when they were a new model... which was... 2006 I believe, but I'm sure they've updated them), they did eventually fall apart. At which point I replaced with Razer Barracuda AC-1 Soudncard, and HP-1 Headset (both of which I still have), but the mic on the headset started sounding sad. Overall both still work though. I have Razer Moray+ headset for phone and laptop. Love it, but wanted something for desktop, got SteelSeries Spectrum 5XB Headset on sale, like it, but cable too short, got Razer Kraken, which can also be used for phone. Love it.

TL;DR; Version
  • Cheap $15 Logitechs - Worked decent, fell apart (after a good long use)
  • Steelseries 4H - Comfortable and loved them, fell apart (after a good long use)
  • Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Soundcard) + Razer Barracuda HP-1 (Headset) - Comfortable, loved them, still work, microphone connection getting sad (detachable), stopped using
  • Razer Moray+  - In ear, comfortable, use for laptop and phone.
  • SteelSeries Spectrum 5XB Headset - Around ear, comfortable, cable too short unless you have  top-audio or don't do long distances from compy, good sound quality, meant for xbox more than PC but can be used for PC. Got them on sale for $35 (no way I'd pay retail for something originally meant for an xbox)
  • Razer Kraken - Around Ear, kind of tight (I have a huge head), but comfortable overall, great sound quality. It's what any of you hear me on when I'm on Mumble anymore.

And I've never had any problems with any screeching, humming, scratching, or whining, with any of these except for poor connections due to it not being plugged in all the way. These are all 3.5mm type headsets.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM by FlyingMongoose.)
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

01-27-2013, 01:44 PM

3.5mm has never buzzed for me

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-27-2013, 02:50 PM

It has on every desktop I've owned.

I can second the Moray+ buds, I forgot I had them even though I'm wearing them right now. I just wouldn't consider them for desktop use, personally.