Hello There, Guest! Register

KoToR MMO - Aborted before its even Out
Vandamguy

12-10-2008, 08:14 PM

(12-10-2008, 03:43 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1951.msg54462#msg54462 date=1228937141]
back to the OP ...

if you want a preview of how microtransactions would work , check out Gunbound. whoever wants to lay down 200 bucks on some armor/weap/shinies will trump the shit you quested 10 hours for

Gunbound is still awesome, FU.  And you can just play on the No Equipment Effect servers.
[/quote]
your point is stupid , because they wont make a server like that for KOTOR
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-10-2008, 08:37 PM

(12-10-2008, 08:06 PM)Wedge link Wrote: Yeah umm, plenty of other MMO's only offer largely aesthetic bonuses and shit like timed XP% increasers in cash shops, and honestly no one has seen what a US developer would do with such a model right now.  But w/ever, be a fag and dis something based on some retarded Kotaku post.  I mean, I wrote the thing off already simply on the basis of it being an MMO, and those are unilaterally shit outside of something like PS.  But I'd love to see some kind of alternating pricing models come along in the case someone ever does make an MMO worth playing again. 

It creates a tiered system, high tier goes and fucks with low tier, low tier leave, high tier gets bored, game dies

It happened to hell gate london, they didn't try exactly the same model but they tried to have pay a sub for better/cooler shit and events, or don't pay, but you still get multiplayer.

The servers are shutting down January 31st, 2009, you can not have your cake and eat it too, if someone were to manage to make the model work it would have to be IMO a publisher of valve or blizzard quality, and blizzard is already perfectly happy with their monthly fee system, they get probably ~$10 million a month in gross revenue.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-10-2008, 08:43 PM

(12-10-2008, 08:37 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=1951.msg54573#msg54573 date=1228957611]
Yeah umm, plenty of other MMO's only offer largely aesthetic bonuses and shit like timed XP% increasers in cash shops, and honestly no one has seen what a US developer would do with such a model right now.  But w/ever, be a fag and dis something based on some retarded Kotaku post.  I mean, I wrote the thing off already simply on the basis of it being an MMO, and those are unilaterally shit outside of something like PS.  But I'd love to see some kind of alternating pricing models come along in the case someone ever does make an MMO worth playing again. 

It creates a tiered system, high tier goes and fucks with low tier, low tier leave, high tier gets bored, game dies

It happened to hell gate london, they didn't try exactly the same model but they tried to have pay a sub for better/cooler shit and events, or don't pay, but you still get multiplayer.

The servers are shutting down January 31st, 2009, you can not have your cake and eat it too, if someone were to manage to make the model work it would have to be IMO a publisher of valve or blizzard quality, and blizzard is already perfectly happy with their monthly fee system, they get probably ~$10 million a month in gross revenue.
[/quote]

That's just one model out of many, and a really stupid one because it splits the player group like you said.  That's why Instant Action ditched similar limitations on games recently.  There are pay models that _don't_ do that as well though.  And my point is, it's stupid to fucking speculate right now at least, because NOTHING has been announced how they plan to do it, other than some fgt on Kotaku saying "oh it's more liek pay as u go, amirite?".  EA is also doing something like this with BF Heroes, and while it's a shit game so I don't care, they are obviously the only major company giving new methods any thought right now, so I'd welcome anyone at least trying something new, even if it is a horrible failure. 

Since do you know what the monthly pay model encourages?  Making games a fucking grind, because TIME is what brings in income like that.  Therefore, consuming as much time as you think a player can tolerate becomes the basis of game design for those games.  And I think sticking with that method of payment is going to make it harder than it already is for MMO's to move away from being something other than mindless repetitive bores.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM by Wedge.)
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-10-2008, 08:58 PM

We'll just have to see, but I'm waiting until someone releases an analysis of money spent versus time spent on this compared to regular subscription MMOs.

Vandamguy

12-10-2008, 09:13 PM

(12-10-2008, 08:58 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: We'll just have to see, but I'm waiting until someone releases an analysis of money spent versus time spent on this compared to regular subscription MMOs.
i spent ~300 dollars on magic the gathering online , in one month.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

12-10-2008, 09:20 PM

except all the games you guys offer as microtransaction based don't trump the true kings: anything nexon america produces. last I saw numbers for nexon's monthly figure they were making $15 million a month or something retarded like that, who knows what it is now

Eschatos

12-10-2008, 09:22 PM

(12-10-2008, 09:20 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: except all the games you guys offer as microtransaction based don't trump the true kings: anything nexon america produces. last I saw numbers for nexon's monthly figure they were making $15 million a month or something retarded like that, who knows what it is now

I wonder how much Jagex is making per month. 

Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

12-10-2008, 11:52 PM

(12-10-2008, 08:43 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1951.msg54576#msg54576 date=1228959451]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=1951.msg54573#msg54573 date=1228957611]
Yeah umm, plenty of other MMO's only offer largely aesthetic bonuses and shit like timed XP% increasers in cash shops, and honestly no one has seen what a US developer would do with such a model right now.  But w/ever, be a fag and dis something based on some retarded Kotaku post.  I mean, I wrote the thing off already simply on the basis of it being an MMO, and those are unilaterally shit outside of something like PS.  But I'd love to see some kind of alternating pricing models come along in the case someone ever does make an MMO worth playing again. 

[/quote]

That's just one model out of many, and a really stupid one because it splits the player group like you said.  That's why Instant Action ditched similar limitations on games recently.  There are pay models that _don't_ do that as well though.  And my point is, it's stupid to fucking speculate right now at least, because NOTHING has been announced how they plan to do it, other than some fgt on Kotaku saying "oh it's more liek pay as u go, amirite?".  EA is also doing something like this with BF Heroes, and while it's a shit game so I don't care, they are obviously the only major company giving new methods any thought right now, so I'd welcome anyone at least trying something new, even if it is a horrible failure. 

Since do you know what the monthly pay model encourages?  Making games a fucking grind, because TIME is what brings in income like that.  Therefore, consuming as much time as you think a player can tolerate becomes the basis of game design for those games.  And I think sticking with that method of payment is going to make it harder than it already is for MMO's to move away from being something other than mindless repetitive bores.
[/quote]

Our speculation's about as stupid as your insulting our speculation. Take it down a notch.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

12-11-2008, 08:55 AM

(12-10-2008, 08:43 PM)Wedge link Wrote: There are pay models that _don't_ do that as well though. 

like?

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

12-11-2008, 12:47 PM

(12-11-2008, 08:55 AM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Wedge link=topic=1951.msg54578#msg54578 date=1228959791]
There are pay models that _don't_ do that as well though. 

like?
[/quote]

Gunz, Ragnarok Online, and probably any other number of other Korean games I will never play.  Gunz is notable for being a (theoretically) skill based game that had this, but the cash shop items were only minor upgrades and largely aesthetic.  And I don't give a fuck about any MMOWhatever unless it's a skill based game anyways.  If you can make it free to play and just give paying players a slight edge (not break the game like Gunbound is I guess), then that's fine with me as long as being more skilled will still give you the chance to come out on top.  I mean, then it'll be just like playing Vanu on Planetside.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
Eschatos

12-11-2008, 12:54 PM

(12-11-2008, 12:47 PM)Wedge link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=1951.msg54666#msg54666 date=1229003723]
[quote author=Wedge link=topic=1951.msg54578#msg54578 date=1228959791]
There are pay models that _don't_ do that as well though. 

like?
[/quote]

Gunz, Ragnarok Online, and probably any other number of other Korean games I will never play.  Gunz is notable for being a (theoretically) skill based game that had this, but the cash shop items were only minor upgrades and largely aesthetic.  And I don't give a fuck about any MMOWhatever unless it's a skill based game anyways.  If you can make it free to play and just give paying players a slight edge (not break the game like Gunbound is I guess), then that's fine with me as long as being more skilled will still give you the chance to come out on top.  I mean, then it'll be just like playing Vanu on Planetside.
[/quote]

We should really play Gunz sometime.  Awesome game.