Hello There, Guest! Register

Is my power supply big enough?
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Only clean the heatsink with rubbing alcohol (idiots suggest nail polish remover, which often has additional chemicals that are abrasive and/or damaging to your heatsink, as they seep into the microvallies and fill them, keeping the thermal paste from doing so and doing its job. No offense to whoever suggested that, I'm assuming you just heard it from someone uninformed and assumed it was okay. Also, assuming lighter fluid is good for cleaning your comp components is like assuming it's okay to just jump in a backwater mud creek and call it a proper bath). I put emphasis to MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CLEANED IT WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL. 91% or higher is preferred, but the cheapo shit will do. Use a qtip to apply and clean it, do not use a rag, do not use cloths, do not use anything that will fray or damage the cpu/heatsink or leave residue/particles.

If you haven't cleaned it with a qtip and rubbing alcohol in this manner yet, take the whole thing apart and do it, even if you already think it's clean. Microvallies are called micro for a reason. Tongue Otherwise your thermal paste will not set properly and you will run a very high risk of damaging your parts, or your whole computer. Make sure you clean both the heatsink AND the cpu and make sure you do it gently to avoid damaging it.

Apply the arctic silver to the CPU as explained on their website, based on the type of processor you got. The application instructions are different for dual/quad cores and for AMD/Intel, I forgot what you said you got and I just noticed the thermal paste question while skimming, but this should answer it fully.

Yes I've said it a few times, but I want to make sure I'm rubbing this in. Please do not take this post as suggestion, I can guarantee you will reap the wonderful consequences sooner or later if you do not properly clean cpu/heatsink and apply thermal paste/grease.

Also, the whole PSU taped to the outside of the case thing? Not the greatest of ideas. If you can't fit it in there, place it in a open top cardboard/wooden box or just on a sheet of it to keep it from contacting your case/carpet/etc. and just run the power cables into the proper components.

[Image: bluelunk.png]
FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[glow=blue,2,300]WOMBO COMBO[/glow]
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 05:51 PM by Blues.)
Vandamguy

12-24-2008, 06:53 PM

(12-24-2008, 05:42 PM)Blues link Wrote: idiots suggest nail polish remover. No offense to whoever suggested that, I'm assuming you just heard it from someone uninformed and assumed it was okay. Also, assuming lighter fluid is good for cleaning your comp components is like assuming it's okay to just jump in a backwater mud creek and call it a proper bath).

could you just , you know , fuck off and die ?

im seriously sick of every one of your posts, pertaining to computers, being aloof and insulting to anyone else trying to assist

brb, i got just the thing.

Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 07:02 PM

(12-24-2008, 06:53 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg57991#msg57991 date=1230158574]
idiots suggest nail polish remover. No offense to whoever suggested that, I'm assuming you just heard it from someone uninformed and assumed it was okay. Also, assuming lighter fluid is good for cleaning your comp components is like assuming it's okay to just jump in a backwater mud creek and call it a proper bath).

im seriously sick of every one of your posts, pertaining to computers, being aloof and insulting to anyone else trying to assist

[/quote]
They're generally not anything more than normal help, with a pinch of sarcasm, until responses like this one. I said no offense specifically this time to inform you no ill intent was meant by the post, because everyone got suprsrs when I said something about punching the thread out of existence on the last one.  Nail polish remover is a thing that is often suggested, even by some "computer pros" who don't realize that a lot of brands of it use additional shit in them that nulls the whole idea of "cleaning", and it's a safer bet to go with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in all circumstances to avoid having to worry about things like that.

But hey, let me rephrase it just for you.

You are a fucking retard giving terrible advice that could potentially damage the components.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
Vandamguy

12-24-2008, 07:09 PM

so what you mean to say is that if preface everything with "no offense intended" i can say whatever i want without consequence.

right

awesome point you're going with

when i said go fuck off and die , i meant it with no offense , sorry if you got offended, i didnt intend to offend you by telling you to fuck off and die
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

12-24-2008, 07:15 PM

(12-24-2008, 07:02 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1992.msg58007#msg58007 date=1230162839]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg57991#msg57991 date=1230158574]
idiots suggest nail polish remover. No offense to whoever suggested that, I'm assuming you just heard it from someone uninformed and assumed it was okay. Also, assuming lighter fluid is good for cleaning your comp components is like assuming it's okay to just jump in a backwater mud creek and call it a proper bath).

[/quote]
They're generally not anything more than normal help, with a pinch of sarcasm, until responses like this one. I said no offense specifically this time to inform you no ill intent was meant by the post, because everyone got suprsrs when I said something about punching the thread out of existence on the last one.  Nail polish remover is a thing that is often suggested, even by some "computer pros" who don't realize that a lot of brands of it use additional shit in them that nulls the whole idea of "cleaning", and it's a safer bet to go with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in all circumstances to avoid having to worry about things like that.

But hey, let me rephrase it just for you.

You are a fucking retard giving terrible advice that could potentially damage the components.
[/quote]

Is it so hard for you not to be offensive in your posts? Here let me rephrase that for you:

"Sir, I do think you are mistaken with your erroneous advice. This could potentially damage the other gentleman's electrical components."

Also, newsflash, you are not the final authority on PCs and usually there is more than one solution to a problem. Just cool your attitude a bit and be a little more respectful because that attitude isn't making any friends...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 07:21 PM

(12-24-2008, 07:09 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: so what you mean to say is that if preface everything with "no offense intended" i can say whatever i want without consequence.

right

when i said go fuck off and die , i meant it with no offense , sorry if you got offended, i didnt intend to offend you by telling you to fuck off and die
Oh, just as a heads up, nothing I said was dickish until put into a dickish context, the point of the "no offense" preface was to imply that it's an understandable mistake because of the whole acetone cleaner thing, and I realize 50% of the people who suggest it just truthfully don't know about the complications of the additives, as opposed to me directing the stupid people comment at you.

Regardless, (no offense) all you're doing is whining like a butthurt prick. Use the PM feature to whine to me next time so I and other people don't load the thread thinking something useful/on topic has been posted. Also so I can ignore them.

@Ain

There was no offensive content until after the bitchfit. From there it was intentional. Also, no one said I was the final authority on PCs. I gave up in the hard drive thread because if he wants to do it a different way, even though I specifically read "no boot CDs/etc." leaving hard drive swapping as the quickest and simplest solution, then so be it. I also realized half of you have never taken into account that people can joke around with feigned sarcasm/assholishiness online, so I did not do so in this thread originally.

However, in this situation, there is a right and a wrong answer. Rubbing alcohol is right, nail polish remover is wrong. Had he included "use pure acetone nail polish remover, with absolutely no additives" I would not have corrected him, but as it stood, there was no clafification on something that can permanently damage parts. This thread and my post was directed at cbr88x in the first place, so informing him is more important than wasting my time making vandam feel better about himself.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 07:23 PM by Blues.)
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

12-24-2008, 07:26 PM

(12-24-2008, 07:21 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1992.msg58009#msg58009 date=1230163791]
so what you mean to say is that if preface everything with "no offense intended" i can say whatever i want without consequence.

right

Oh, just as a heads up, nothing I said was dickish until put into a dickish context, the point of the "no offense" preface was to imply that it's an understandable mistake because of the whole acetone cleaner thing, and I realize 50% of the people who suggest it just truthfully don't know about the complications of the additives, as opposed to me directing the stupid people comment at you.

Regardless, (no offense) all you're doing is whining like a butthurt prick. Use the PM feature to whine to me next time so I and other people don't load the thread thinking something useful/on topic has been posted. Also so I can ignore them.

@Ain

There was no offensive content until after the bitchfit. From there it was intentional. Also, no one said I was the final authority on PCs. I gave up in the hard drive thread because if he wants to do it a different way, even though I specifically read "no boot CDs/etc." leaving hard drive swapping as the quickest and simplest solution, then so be it. I also realized half of you have never taken into account that people can joke around with feigned sarcasm/assholishiness online, so I did not do so in this thread originally.

However, in this situation, there is a right and a wrong answer. Rubbing alcohol is right, nail polish remover is wrong. Had he included "use pure acetone nail polish remover, with absolutely no additives" I would not have corrected him, but as it stood, there was no clafification on something that can permanently damage parts. This thread and my post was directed at cbr88x in the first place, so informing him is more important than wasting my time making vandam feel better about himself.
[/quote]

You might not see it as offensive but calling people idiots, even indirectly, makes you sound hostile. Prefixing this with no offense doesn't help... HTH, HAND

Oh and vandam, please get rid of that annoying image in your sig...

Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 07:31 PM

(12-24-2008, 07:26 PM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg58012#msg58012 date=1230164499]
[quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1992.msg58009#msg58009 date=1230163791]

right

@Ain

[/quote]

You might not see it as offensive but calling people idiots, even indirectly, makes you sound hostile. Prefixing this with no offense doesn't help... HTH, HAND

[/quote]
This is why I added a FULL SENTENCE following the no offense, to clarify that there was not even an indirect insult to the person who had posted about the remover. If someone reads that and still rages, really they need to turn off the computer and go chill the fuck out for a bit more than I need to worry about offending them.

If I'm chatting casually with you about the world and I say "People are fucking stupid", are you going to go "yeah, yeah", realizing I'm referring to majority, or are you going to take offense assuming that I meant you and start flipping out?

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM by Blues.)
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

12-24-2008, 07:52 PM

(12-24-2008, 07:31 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=ainmosni link=topic=1992.msg58014#msg58014 date=1230164806]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg58012#msg58012 date=1230164499]
[quote author=Vandamguy link=topic=1992.msg58009#msg58009 date=1230163791]

right

@Ain

[/quote]

[/quote]
This is why I added a FULL SENTENCE following the no offense, to clarify that there was not even an indirect insult to the person who had posted about the remover. If someone reads that and still rages, really they need to turn off the computer and go chill the fuck out for a bit more than I need to worry about offending them.

If I'm chatting casually with you about the world and I say "People are fucking stupid", are you going to go "yeah, yeah", realizing I'm referring to majority, or are you going to take offense assuming that I meant you and start flipping out?
[/quote]

If you critique someones suggestion and then make the generalisation  that people are idiots it is a logical conclusion for most people that you are referring to them... It's all about context, don't forget that this is textual conversation and you can't put any vocal intonations on words so confusion happens quite easily. I, of course, mean no offense with this.

cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

12-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Ummm..

chill out?

I never got to read your post in time Blues, but I remember reading someone elses saying to use alcohol so I used that to clean the heatsink. I got a lot of it off, but I could have sat there and scrubbed all day and still gotten stuff off of it.

Current temps are a Minimum 27-33c and a Maximum of 34-42c.

Thanks Budr for the link. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Oh..and chill. Dayum.

Also, old processor is semi borked. One pin is bent a little..I'm assuming this might be fixable tho..

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 09:38 PM by cbre88x.)
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 10:06 PM

(12-24-2008, 09:33 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: Ummm..

chill out?

I never got to read your post in time Blues, but I remember reading someone elses saying to use alcohol so I used that to clean the heatsink. I got a lot of it off, but I could have sat there and scrubbed all day and still gotten stuff off of it.

Current temps are a Minimum 27-33c and a Maximum of 34-42c.

Thanks Budr for the link. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Oh..and chill. Dayum.

Also, old processor is semi borked. One pin is bent a little..I'm assuming this might be fixable tho..
I had figured that you would miss it, I just wanted to make sure that if you hadn't done it properly that you went back and redid it before it fubared anything.

Also yes, if a pin is just slightly bent and that's all you can always move it back into place with a screwdriver, your fingers, whatever, just make sure not to touch the top of the cpu.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
cbre88x

12-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Yea, this is a learning experience for me. It was fun, but I'd rather not deal with Dell shit anymore.

Also, Source games work awesome now except for TF2. The effects it had on TF2 are pretty small. Then again I tested it in a 32 man server, but still. L4D runs pretty flawlessly as well as HL2 EP2. It didn't have much of an effect on games that are videocard dependant though. Everything loads twice as fast. And I have a 5.4 "Windows Experience Index"....lawl.

I'm still pissed about TF2 though. I figured it'd help out a shit ton. Maybe I need to go try a 24 man server or something.

I've found a case that I'm going to get a little later. I'd like to find a motherboard that is BTX compatible, DDR2 and is AM2/AM2+

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 10:55 PM by cbre88x.)
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-24-2008, 11:10 PM

(12-24-2008, 10:50 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: Yea, this is a learning experience for me. It was fun, but I'd rather not deal with Dell shit anymore.

Also, Source games work awesome now except for TF2. The effects it had on TF2 are pretty small. Then again I tested it in a 32 man server, but still. L4D runs pretty flawlessly as well as HL2 EP2. It didn't have much of an effect on games that are videocard dependant though. Everything loads twice as fast. And I have a 5.4 "Windows Experience Index"....lawl.

I'm still pissed about TF2 though. I figured it'd help out a shit ton. Maybe I need to go try a 24 man server or something.

I've found a case that I'm going to get a little later. I'd like to find a motherboard that is BTX compatible, DDR2 and is AM2/AM2+
BTX is a dell proprietary and I believe discontinued at this point. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if you find one, it's probably going to be shit. Just grab a case that will hold a BTX motherboard (this might be a chore. =\)and stick what you've got in there until you need a full new PC.

Either that or get a new mobo and try to return the PSU you just bought for a regular one. Everything else will run fine in a normal mobo and you won't have to worry about the fact that there are only 2 BTX form factor cases on Newegg. Tongue Btw, when you get a new mobo, you'll need to install Windows fresh, so I'd suggest backing up your files prior to ordering it to make sure everything's ready for a new install.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM by Blues.)
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-24-2008, 11:51 PM

Kiss and make up you two

[Image: lesbian_kiss.jog]

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
cbre88x

12-25-2008, 01:21 AM

Yea, this mobo is a piece of shit.

(12-24-2008, 11:51 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Kiss and make up you two

lawl

Blues
BRB, Posting

12-25-2008, 01:32 AM

(12-24-2008, 11:51 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Kiss and make up you two

I believe this picture is something everyone can agree on.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
x
BRB, Posting

12-25-2008, 05:31 AM

I think it's more a misplaced belief in the extent of his own knowledge regarding all things technological, which gives the appearance of arrogance. At least he tries to help, which is nice.

(12-24-2008, 11:10 PM)Blues link Wrote: Btw, when you get a new mobo, you'll need to install Windows fresh, so I'd suggest backing up your files prior to ordering it to make sure everything's ready for a new install.

I forget who it was in IRC a few months back but they ordered a new m/board and we all told them it would need a full reinstall of XP but they just popped it in and it worked. Obviously a fresh build would be cleaner and Windows might shit a brick at first.
Blues
BRB, Posting

12-25-2008, 02:08 PM

(12-25-2008, 05:31 AM)Arnies Right Bicep link Wrote: I think it's more a misplaced belief in the extent of his own knowledge regarding all things technological, which gives the appearance of arrogance. At least he tries to help, which is nice.

[quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg58056#msg58056 date=1230178258]
Btw, when you get a new mobo, you'll need to install Windows fresh, so I'd suggest backing up your files prior to ordering it to make sure everything's ready for a new install.

I forget who it was in IRC a few months back but they ordered a new m/board and we all told them it would need a full reinstall of XP but they just popped it in and it worked. Obviously a fresh build would be cleaner and Windows might shit a brick at first.
[/quote]
IIRC it's the mobo chipset that causes Windows to shit itself. If you get a mobo with the same chipset it will generally be okay, but seeing as he's using a BTX board with an outdated chipset, it's basically a 99% chance he'll need a reinstall.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]
cbre88x

12-25-2008, 04:26 PM

(12-25-2008, 02:08 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Arnie's Right Bicep link=topic=1992.msg58095#msg58095 date=1230201091]
I think it's more a misplaced belief in the extent of his own knowledge regarding all things technological, which gives the appearance of arrogance. At least he tries to help, which is nice.
Btw, when you get a new mobo, you'll need to install Windows fresh, so I'd suggest backing up your files prior to ordering it to make sure everything's ready for a new install.
[/quote]
IIRC it's the mobo chipset that causes Windows to shit itself. If you get a mobo with the same chipset it will generally be okay, but seeing as he's using a BTX board with an outdated chipset, it's basically a 99% chance he'll need a reinstall.
[/quote]

Motha Fuckin Dell.

Ehwell. I've been wanting a fresh install for awhile to get all the Dell shit off.

Blues
BRB, Posting

12-25-2008, 04:56 PM

(12-25-2008, 04:26 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=1992.msg58170#msg58170 date=1230232089]
[quote author=Arnie's Right Bicep link=topic=1992.msg58095#msg58095 date=1230201091]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Motha Fuckin Dell.

Ehwell. I've been wanting a fresh install for awhile to get all the Dell shit off.
[/quote]
Well that's less a Dell thing and more of an old thing. The chances of you not having to install Windows again are slim to none unless the mobo you're changing from was bought like a month ago. Btw, still using/like XP? I'd suggest getting a copy of TinyXP, it's pretweaked and comes with SP3 and updates, and you don't have to worry about getting some shitty ISO that requires a key no one has.

FREE THE SANDWICH!
SANDWICH THREAD
[b]IM2GUEWD[b]