Hello There, Guest! Register

The "fuck, my knife...." Thread (Split from: The "Fuck my life" thread)
[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

06-06-2012, 08:38 PM

I love knives, so I like this thread and automatically like all of you.

I usually carry either a Case medium stockman (the aformentoned knife I posted) for farmwork.
If I'm honestly paranoid about a place, I carry either my cheapy balisong I got from a flea market, or one I bought from a custom knife dealer a few years back.
Both of them were worth the money, can be snapped open almost as fast as a switchblade with practice, and I think it's a pretty classy blade to work with.

HULKMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!
HeK
Rotartsinimda

06-07-2012, 08:07 PM

My Gerber Covert came in today. Non-auto, black, NSN # 5110-01-516-3228.

I am surprised that it came packaged in blister pack and that that Fiskars owns Gerber.

Never the less, this is a very well crafted knife. I'm amazed as to how well balanced it is. The pivot point is at the bottom half of the thumb grips.
154CM blade with a black Teflon coating, stainless steel frame, glass filled nylon grips.

[Image: nhxQ7.jpg]

It is much bigger then my last knife, about five inches when closed. It still fits into my jeans back pockets just fine.
The belt clip is removable and can be swapped to the opposite side for a lefty.
The clip itself is very well designed, folded over in design and allows the knife to sit very low in the pocket.

[Image: fVEu8.jpg]
[Image: PDVpP.jpg]

This is my second folder, excluding my multitool and Swiss Army. Like my first knife, this one employs a liner lock.
The lock has a formed pin that reduces friction as the blade swings out but also fits into a notch in the blade when closed, holding it in place.
A nifty feature is a 'rotolock' secondary lock. This is a safety that prevents the liner lock from slipping out of place during a hard impact.

[Image: 8y9D7.jpg]

This is the strongest folding knife that I have ever handled. The blade is rock solid without a hint of movement when deployed.
The blade comes extremely sharp. I tried the 'finger nail' test and it successfully and effortlessly sliced a thin layer off the back of my thumb nail.
It's a semi-serrated blade which I am not the biggest fan of from a maintenance and sharpening stand point but it does come in handy.

The knife comes with a note about the 'high-end high-carbon stainless steel 154CM' blade. Basically that while it holds it's edge better, it will rust and must be kept clean and oiled.
A little more maintenance is required then your average knife.

My only complaint about the knife on my initial review is the markings on the blade:
[Image: ixVZo.jpg]

I could do without the signatures. Rex Applegate and William E. Fairbairn defined western-style close-quarter combat and designed the combat knife that this folder is based on.

In closing, very nice knife. Fantastic to hold and handle. Made in the USA still means quality.
Like the man with the Canon 1D, I may have over purchased but at least my investment wasn't too steep.
rumsfald

06-08-2012, 04:30 PM

right now I feel like I do when I read most good knife reviews of good knives, I want to impulse buy one even though I don't need one
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

06-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I'm right there with you. 

[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

06-08-2012, 08:45 PM

You can never have too many knives.

Unless you're poor. Then it becomes a problem trying to collect them. Sad

HULKMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!