Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Would you be up for "Serious Business Saturdays/Sundays?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
hellz yea!
82.14%
23 82.14%
No, I am lame and enjoy pubbing it up
17.86%
5 17.86%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TF2: Serious Business Saturdays?
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Send me an invite next time, I'm interested.  But please don't use a no-crit server.  I know we've had this argument before but I feel that crits make the game a lot more fun and using them is the way the game was meant to be played.

NiceGuy
Fulfills Asi^H^H Korean stereotypes

08-04-2008, 08:52 AM

(08-04-2008, 08:43 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1050.msg27324#msg27324 date=1217857314]
My vote is to go on and split the competitives in half and then try and whip your pub team into a fierce fighting machine.  That will be far better practice not just in skill but in leadership.

My vote: use one of our servers go in and announce "hey pubs you're in for a treat we are doing serious business saturdays, we got our semi-competitive scrim players here and they are going to divide and half and each half is going to try and lead their team to a victory, if you want to participate stay but just know we are going to expect teamwork.  Also we reserve the right to kick anyone playing in a manner that is deliberately ruining the team play."

Then not only do you get actually good practice but you involve pubs in a positive way and could get some more members.  Otherwise we really aren't being better than those clans that have been crashing #2.  Also anytime you see those clans we should challenge them.

This is a fantastic idea, I agree with it completely.
[/quote]

Way to quote yourself there Surf  Big Grin But I agree.

On BAL-SACKs:

(07-10-2008, 06:52 PM)rumsfald link Wrote:Like our namesake, the number one thing we do is hang around.  Between your legs. Hang around waiting for some action.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-04-2008, 08:53 AM

(08-04-2008, 08:43 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1050.msg27324#msg27324 date=1217857314]
My vote is to go on and split the competitives in half and then try and whip your pub team into a fierce fighting machine.  That will be far better practice not just in skill but in leadership.

My vote: use one of our servers go in and announce "hey pubs you're in for a treat we are doing serious business saturdays, we got our semi-competitive scrim players here and they are going to divide and half and each half is going to try and lead their team to a victory, if you want to participate stay but just know we are going to expect teamwork.  Also we reserve the right to kick anyone playing in a manner that is deliberately ruining the team play."

Then not only do you get actually good practice but you involve pubs in a positive way and could get some more members.  Otherwise we really aren't being better than those clans that have been crashing #2.  Also anytime you see those clans we should challenge them.

This is a fantastic idea, I agree with it completely.
[/quote]

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-04-2008, 09:39 AM

To further clarify I think on saturdays we should get the word out that it is competitive play day.  We turn all-talk off and divide up our experienced players as evenly as possible.  Then we can turn tourny mode on to give us some time to brief our teams.  We talk the pubs through strategy and give them tips on things they don't know.  Then we battle it out epic style.

Yes they are pubs and they often suck but everyone sucked at some point and yelling at them won't do as much good as doing a good job leading them.  This will help us get more experienced pubs and get more people interested in joining as well as give us actual experience both leading and planning.  These things are far better learned under imperfect circumstances.

Yes it will be difficult, yes we will probably have to kick a few for being dicks or griefing.  But it will be experience of taking something completely unruly and turning it into something well coordinated.  It will be challenging, it will be fun and it will help pubs get better.

Also eventually we will start attracting the best players for these events.  Plus the chaos will keep us sharp.  We just need to make sure we keep rebalancing teams.  There is no point in practicing if there is no challenge, and that is what is severely missing from team stacking.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-04-2008, 09:49 AM

(08-04-2008, 09:39 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: To further clarify I think on saturdays we should get the word out that it is competitive play day.  We turn all-talk off and divide up our experienced players as evenly as possible.  Then we can turn tourny mode on to give us some time to brief our teams.  We talk the pubs through strategy and give them tips on things they don't know.  Then we battle it out epic style.

Yes they are pubs and they often suck but everyone sucked at some point and yelling at them won't do as much good as doing a good job leading them.  This will help us get more experienced pubs and get more people interested in joining as well as give us actual experience both leading and planning.  These things are far better learned under imperfect circumstances.

Yes it will be difficult, yes we will probably have to kick a few for being dicks or griefing.  But it will be experience of taking something completely unruly and turning it into something well coordinated.  It will be challenging, it will be fun and it will help pubs get better.

Also eventually we will start attracting the best players for these events.  Plus the chaos will keep us sharp.  We just need to make sure we keep rebalancing teams.  There is no point in practicing if there is no challenge, and that is what is severely missing from team stacking.

For the record, I think it's a good idea. I'm just not sure if we have enough people that would regularly commit to turning up on a Saturday to make it work. Also, TF2F does basically exactly what you suggested, but they run an 8-team tourney (single elimination) and teams are randomly assigned. Whoever's not playing a round gets to spec via SourceTV if they so choose, otherwise they wait their turn for a match.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-04-2008, 09:57 AM

dave approves of dave and ducks actions, dave has tracked down the irc for competative matches, and nominates duck in kors random absnecy (not here-ness?) also, yeah we were kinda stacked against the pubs, but

fuck em we were there mainly to build teamwork, me and duck will be discussing cerealsaturday team roles (callers ect ect)

luff dave.

Geoff
Real World Azn

08-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Sorry about that "practice" TBAG scrim.  I also manage this shit you know, but I had no idea about that.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-04-2008, 11:04 AM

(08-04-2008, 10:37 AM)Geoff link Wrote: Sorry about that "practice" TBAG scrim.  I also manage this shit you know, but I had no idea about that.

Hmm. At the time we arranged it, I think Dave and I forgot that you were also part captain, so poopy on us for not realizing. Also, it's not like we had many people show up either. Brb folks just have shit for memories.   :|

edit: MAYBE IF THE FORUMS HAD A SEPARATE SECTION FOR ARRANGING THIS SORT OF THING WE'D BE BETTER ORGANIZED (qft plz, maybe then Scotty will get on the ball)

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 11:09 AM by copulatingduck.)
ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-04-2008, 11:05 AM

(08-04-2008, 11:04 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: [quote author=Geoff link=topic=1050.msg27357#msg27357 date=1217864258]
Sorry about that "practice" TBAG scrim.  I also manage this shit you know, but I had no idea about that.

Hmm. At the time we arranged it, I think Dave and I forgot that you were also part captain, so poopy on us for not realizing. Also, it's not like we had many people show up either. Brb folks just have shit for memories.   :|
[/quote]

It can be like herding cats my friend... <3 to the community though.

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
NiceGuy
Fulfills Asi^H^H Korean stereotypes

08-04-2008, 11:10 AM

(08-04-2008, 11:04 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: edit: MAYBE IF THE FORUMS HAD A SEPARATE SECTION FOR ARRANGING THIS SORT OF THING WE'D BE BETTER ORGANIZED (qft plz, maybe then Scotty will get on the ball)

QFT because I am a sheep and I follow. But I also agree.

On BAL-SACKs:

(07-10-2008, 06:52 PM)rumsfald link Wrote:Like our namesake, the number one thing we do is hang around.  Between your legs. Hang around waiting for some action.
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

08-04-2008, 06:02 PM

(08-04-2008, 11:10 AM)NiceGuy link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=1050.msg27366#msg27366 date=1217865883]

edit: MAYBE IF THE FORUMS HAD A SEPARATE SECTION FOR ARRANGING THIS SORT OF THING WE'D BE BETTER ORGANIZED (qft plz, maybe then Scotty will get on the ball)

QFT because I am a sheep and I follow. But I also agree.
[/quote]

QFW because I am mean.

Also, those matches are a good idea, but I'd say we should really either use competitive servers or just play within brbu players... joining a pub game and team stacking are bad things, for the reasons FuckDuck gave.

Having a weekly thing is good, in my opinion, and Saturdays seem good too*.  As you said, many players enjoy more competitive games because they get to actually face a challenge and they have teammates who know what they are doing.

*I can't the next 2 Saturdays, so I say we start that in 2 weeks.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
rumsfald

08-04-2008, 06:08 PM

1) Why not organize a weekly timeslot for a BRBu pickup.  The same pickups we have sometimes during TFT/FNF, but these can be scheduled, and people can sign-up, in advance?

2) I don't mind pub-crashing, in fact it is part of internet gaming. Nothing wrong with pub-crashing for a map or 2, as long as everyone is polite, no smack talk, no mic spam, and no taunting.  The point of pub-crashing is not to dominate or even win.  Rather, it is an opportunity to work on teamwork, classes, strats, moving as a group, communicating over vent, etc.

In fact, if you pick good servers of good clans, that is how you get a friendly rivalry going. When 501pts said what they said, that is where you PM them and tell them to pony up for a scrim.

If folks want to be discreet about it, then don't have tags on and use vent. For a map or 2 no-one is none the wiser.

3) related to #2, someone should look up the steam_id's / tags of the clan that has been harrassing #2, find their home server (or wherever they play most frequently), and bring the fight to them.
Dave

08-04-2008, 07:37 PM

(08-04-2008, 06:08 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: 3) related to #2, someone should look up the steam_id's / tags of the clan that has been harrassing #2, find their home server (or wherever they play most frequently), and bring the fight to them.

FUCK

YES

DUCK AND RUMMY WILL LEAD THE CHARGE!
i will be the token badass idiot (irish guy from braveheart)
surf will be the general
Budr will be the snoody posh english commander, whos kickass at his job but no one lies cause hes a poopface
ain will be the drunken viking
kor will be that guy with chains from 300
versus can be legolas
negate can be robin (yes tights are demanded)
neonie can be the war journalist
caff can be rambo
geoff can be bruice willis

the rest of you
STATE YOUR ROLES!

Geoff
Real World Azn

08-04-2008, 07:39 PM

(08-04-2008, 07:37 PM)Dave link Wrote: geoff can be bruice willis

[Image: bruce_willis_pulp_fiction_fist.jpg]

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Dave

08-04-2008, 07:40 PM

dh4 was shit.

Geoff
Real World Azn

08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

(08-04-2008, 07:40 PM)Dave link Wrote: dh4 was shit.

That picture is from pulp fiction.  You best check yo self boy.

Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-04-2008, 07:50 PM

I am very much enjoying where this thread is going.

Proceed.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

08-04-2008, 08:05 PM

I like the cuts of the many jibs in this thread.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Neonie

08-04-2008, 08:13 PM

(08-04-2008, 07:37 PM)Dave link Wrote: neonie can be the war journalist

fucking lol'd
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

omg, this is cereal