Hello There, Guest! Register

Dragon Age Origins
Dr. Headcrab Zombie
Lurker

12-16-2009, 12:08 PM

I never said every RPG PC game was a clone. I only pointed out the moves where listed out like the game W.O.W (across the bottom) But I only saw a very quick picture on a video. My entire purpose for pointing this out was wanting to know what was better to play on, PC or PS3. I never played W.O.W so I can't say everything looks like that game so please don't accuse me of pointing at D.A.O.
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-16-2009, 01:23 PM

(12-16-2009, 12:08 PM)Dr. Headcrab Zombie link Wrote: I never said every RPG PC game was a clone. I only pointed out the moves where listed out like the game W.O.W (across the bottom) But I only saw a very quick picture on a video. My entire purpose for pointing this out was wanting to know what was better to play on, PC or PS3. I never played W.O.W so I can't say everything looks like that game so please don't accuse me of pointing at D.A.O.

(12-16-2009, 12:08 PM)Dr. Headcrab Zombie link Wrote: I never said every RPG PC game was a clone. I only pointed out the moves where listed out like the game W.O.W (across the bottom) But I only saw a very quick picture on a video. My entire purpose for pointing this out was wanting to know what was better to play on, PC or PS3. I never played W.O.W so I can't say everything looks like that game so please don't accuse me of pointing at D.A.O.

No accusations Dr. Headcrab, just talking about the game. I agree with you, the “moves” or action bar in vanilla WoW is typically located on the bottom. I understand what you are saying 100%.

I like it better on the PC, but I know that Surf enjoys it on other systems as well. It’s just a great game! 
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-22-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm through the Mage's Tower, part-way through Redcliff (now after the Urn), and enjoying this game very much. A common complaint in this modern era of gaming is the number of hours a main-story playthrough takes. If you are the type of person who enjoys interactive dialouge, this game is STUPID long. I'm 20 hours or so in, and find myself saving, making one choice, loading, going back and making the other, just to see how much the game can change either way. I think 100 hour playthrough would not be out of the question for me. If you are looking for value this Christmas season (and you own TF2 already, durp), Dragon Age is a great buy.

I'm playing a Noble human female. A general question: do you think is boring or refreshing that the female characters aren't built to your typical super hero proportions? It seems a welcome change to play through a video game with a female character that isn't built like some kind of barbie-themed supermodel. I played in the closed Aion beta, and every single character in the game was just exaggerated and impossible.
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

12-22-2009, 01:55 PM

(12-22-2009, 01:46 PM)Tricks link Wrote: I'm playing a Noble human female. A general question: do you think is boring or refreshing that the female characters aren't built to your typical super hero proportions? It seems a welcome change to play through a video game with a female character that isn't built like some kind of barbie-themed supermodel. I played in the closed Aion beta, and every single character in the game was just exaggerated and impossible.

In Guild Wars, female charcters wear short metal skirts as armor.

Yes, I think it's pretty stupid.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

12-22-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm actually on the verge of putting this game aside and forgetting about it.  I don't know what it is, but I'm just really not digging on it.  Perhaps it's that the difficulty curve seems brutally steep, or maybe that I'm just not that into the Bioware combat system.  The characters, though, have been quite good, and that's really what's been keeping me playing.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-22-2009, 06:23 PM

(12-22-2009, 05:58 PM)ZargonX link Wrote: I'm actually on the verge of putting this game aside and forgetting about it.  I don't know what it is, but I'm just really not digging on it.  Perhaps it's that the difficulty curve seems brutally steep, or maybe that I'm just not that into the Bioware combat system.  The characters, though, have been quite good, and that's really what's been keeping me playing.

Any part you are stuck on? Just trouble in general? Happy to help out if I can give any tips.....
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-22-2009, 06:57 PM

(12-22-2009, 06:23 PM)Tricks link Wrote: [quote author=ZargonX link=topic=3827.msg128197#msg128197 date=1261522727]
I'm actually on the verge of putting this game aside and forgetting about it.  I don't know what it is, but I'm just really not digging on it.  Perhaps it's that the difficulty curve seems brutally steep, or maybe that I'm just not that into the Bioware combat system.  The characters, though, have been quite good, and that's really what's been keeping me playing.

Any part you are stuck on? Just trouble in general? Happy to help out if I can give any tips.....
[/quote]

Dude, I know what you mean.  My problem isn't the combat, but the horrible horrible load times.  When switching zones I go and have a snack or read a book for 10 minutes, and when I come back sometimes it's still not done.  Makes no sense at all considering that every other game ever loads quickly and fine.  But until it gets better or I upgrade my PC, I've stopped playing.

KorJax
BRB, Posting

12-22-2009, 10:33 PM

(12-22-2009, 06:57 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Tricks link=topic=3827.msg128201#msg128201 date=1261524216]
[quote author=ZargonX link=topic=3827.msg128197#msg128197 date=1261522727]

[/quote]

Dude, I know what you mean.  My problem isn't the combat, but the horrible horrible load times.  When switching zones I go and have a snack or read a book for 10 minutes, and when I come back sometimes it's still not done.  Makes no sense at all considering that every other game ever loads quickly and fine.  But until it gets better or I upgrade my PC, I've stopped playing.
[/quote]

Strange.  Load times are 15 seconds max for me.

It does get longer the longer I play, but restarting the game fixes that for me.

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

12-22-2009, 11:08 PM

(12-22-2009, 06:23 PM)Tricks link Wrote: [quote author=ZargonX link=topic=3827.msg128197#msg128197 date=1261522727]

[/quote]

Not so stuck, really, so much as running around to level up to handle certain fights.  Beat the Mage's Tower, then did most of the Elves' quest, but got stuck on the big undead fight with the ghost in the temple.  So then I did the lost village quest, but got stuck in a huge fight in the temple there.  Then switched to Denerim quests, but keep getting my ass handed to me by the alley gangs.  So then I switched to the Dwarf city, and that's what I'm working on now...

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-22-2009, 11:41 PM

(12-22-2009, 11:08 PM)ZargonX link Wrote: [quote author=Tricks link=topic=3827.msg128201#msg128201 date=1261524216]
[quote author=ZargonX link=topic=3827.msg128197#msg128197 date=1261522727]

[/quote]

Not so stuck, really, so much as running around to level up to handle certain fights.  Beat the Mage's Tower, then did most of the Elves' quest, but got stuck on the big undead fight with the ghost in the temple.  So then I did the lost village quest, but got stuck in a huge fight in the temple there.  Then switched to Denerim quests, but keep getting my ass handed to me by the alley gangs.  So then I switched to the Dwarf city, and that's what I'm working on now...
[/quote]

The dwarf fights are possibly harder than the end-game fights. I lot of issues with the game can come down to comp. The "standard" Dragon Age comp is your character being a DPS, dual-wielding warrior, Wynne healing for you, Morrigan doing CC/DPS, and probably Alistar tanking for you. For most of my fights, I have pretty standard tactics for everybody. I directly control Morrigan the whole time, pausing constantly for each cast, using group heals/rez as I see the casting wind-up motions for major AoE spells. I differ slightly from this, and have my main be a two-handed DPS. I love Stun-locking casters, and shield slam with different powerful two-handed hits can shut down many, many different bosses.

I don't think DA is doable, particularly on the harder difficulty settings, without two mages. What comp are you running with currently? 

Spells like Blizzard, Inferno, Cone of Cold and Fireball are your best friends. Not only do you get massive damage, but you can control huge groups of enemies. When you are casting Cone of Cold, are you having Wynne follow up with a Stone Fist for the shatter combo?
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM by Tricks.)
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Alright, if you were waiting for it go on sale, today would appear to be the day. Post here if you pick it up!
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-26-2009, 12:30 PM

I bought the Deluxe edition for someone...
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

12-26-2009, 12:42 PM

(12-26-2009, 12:30 PM)HeK link Wrote: I bought the Deluxe edition for someone...

ILU!
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-26-2009, 02:30 PM

I got the retail box for Christmas, have to install sometime this week and get cracking

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Dr. Headcrab Zombie
Lurker

12-27-2009, 05:13 PM

I finished the game with 2 endings I died in one and in the other I lived and before I go address the people, in the palace I talk to Sten, if you have him, and after the talk I attempted to talk again but he only said "Where is the cake? I was told there was cake. The cake is a lie!" Those exact words. It took me a while to stop laughing.
LV15GAMER
Lurker

12-31-2009, 08:09 PM

I named my dog WuvMuffin, Morrigan disapproved