Hello There, Guest! Register

Elder Scrolls V Game Informer Scans Leaked
BHHammy
Lurker

01-09-2011, 12:04 PM

On more positive notes, I'm rather eager to get my hands on this game.

I'll probably play the crap out of it, and once I get tired of breaking enemy faces, I'll turn my attention to finding out how to break the game itself.
Just like all the other Elder Scrolls games.

Ah, fond memories of Morrowind, int pots broke alchemy so damn much. With really long flight potions and +1000 speed potions...

MIDGETS
[Image: 491e3223ab70a45fd38c00867be8f398.gif]
NOW WITH JIGGLEBONES
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

01-09-2011, 05:31 PM

(01-09-2011, 11:56 AM)BHHammy link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=5328.msg191388#msg191388 date=1294465504]
The thing I loved about the leveling system was how it was based on how you actually play instead of having to figure out where to put points. It makes more sense both from a mechanical and narrative perspective.
The leveling system is why I can't bring myself to play Oblivion anymore.
Having to pick such an odd hodgepodge of things instead of of a well-rounded balance of skills all for the cause of a fucked leveling system is NOT good work.
And woe betide you if you put athletics or acrobatics as skills.
Mmmmmboy, swimming for about a hour straight to get a skill point, and then hopping like a jackrabbit all over the place for another hour just to get another sure doesn't stink of forced boosting at all.

Add the problem of the level-up stat bonuses as well, and then it comes down to either having to boost and game said system (and break immersion), or be a bitch and lower the difficulty.

It's a crying shame, because I actually loved most everything else.
[/quote]

It sounds like the new system is taking the positives of Oblivion's and removing the downsides.  Since perks are replacing attributes you won't have to min-max skill raising, but you'll still get more powerful and better based on skill usage.  Looks like that'll genuinely encourage focusing on a few skills.

KorJax
BRB, Posting

01-09-2011, 08:09 PM

85 spells mean 85 different "spell effects" according to some dev on twitter.

Also I think each skill has several perks you can unlock for that "skill" and each star in the skill constellation is a slot for a perk.

So if destruction has 15 or so stars then you could simply apply 15 skill perks exclusively to destruction (which would require you to be at level 15 or so assuming you start out with a perk at level 1). These perks could be anything from spell range to being able to make a blast wave around you using destruction spells, etc.

Assuming there is a lot of depth in that manner to the perk system with a lot of variety (such as... 30 possible choices for a skill perk even if you can only have a max of 15 or so per skill), I'll take this anyday over having classes and attributes.

This will probably also have the side effect of each skill getting special attention to it now they they all might have their own specific perks, so all skills will hopefully be very useful if you level them up.

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
shoopfox
BRB, Posting

01-10-2011, 01:47 AM

(01-08-2011, 06:14 PM)diglett link Wrote: im hoping all the "radiant" shit works as described but is really horribly done and always hilarious

i rly want to kill a village by dropping some rocks worth 1g on the ground

Especially if they manage to keep the awesome gamebryo glitched animations somehow. Then the dying/destitute villagers can have creepy spinning exorcist heads and shit too