Hello There, Guest! Register

Serious Business: Semi-Casual Amalgamation of Semi-Competitive Players.
Thread Closed 
jorge
It's pronounced yor-ge

05-10-2008, 09:22 PM

I will volunteer when I get moar fps and can be depended upon.

Chooly
BRB, Posting

05-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Are we going to set a night anytime in the next while?
I'm just wondering...

[table][tr][td][Image: style5,The-spc-Pwnrgization.png] [/td][td]Chooly: /nevergonnagiveyouup
Eschatos: /nevergonnaletyoudown
[TC] Versus: /nevergonnarunaround
[TC] Versus: /anddesertyou
ToiletDuck: /closeapplication[/td][/tr][/table]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Oh, it appears that I'm in a bit of a housing predicament. Namely, when I applied for summer housing, I failed to click submit. So I'll have to slightly amend my information (namely, the availability). It looks like I will just be bumming it in a friend's room over the summer, so I'll be available pretty much any EVENING (after 6-7pm EST), but advance notice on things via board announcement or IRC would be FANTASTIC! I don't want to overstay my welcome (ie camp in his room the entire fucking summer), that is why I'm updating my info.

In the meantime, I'm going to be looking for a new home.  Sad

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-12-2008, 08:59 AM

(05-11-2008, 04:32 PM)Chooly link Wrote: Are we going to set a night anytime in the next while?
I'm just wondering...

In less then 2 weeks I'll start setting up a few tryouts for class rankings. I'm still trying to figure out a way to properly weigh people's skills across the class spectrum so everyone gets a fair shake. The problem in scheduling all this is we run a full week of activity, with the exception of Sunday; a day generally know for its unreliability. I'll most likely be holding multiple tryouts for the classes, as I can't imagine everyone making it on the same day. Just remember that I am trying to avoid a logistical nightmare in organizing the 24 people that want to be a part of this.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-12-2008, 09:08 AM

(05-12-2008, 08:59 AM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Chooly link=topic=245.msg6323#msg6323 date=1210541522]
I'm just wondering...

In less then 2 weeks I'll start setting up a few tryouts for class rankings. I'm still trying to figure out a way to properly weigh people's skills across the class spectrum so everyone gets a fair shake. The problem in scheduling all this is we run a full week of activity, with the exception of Sunday; a day generally know for its unreliability. I'll most likely be holding multiple tryouts for the classes, as I can't imagine everyone making it on the same day. Just remember that I am trying to avoid a logistical nightmare in organizing the 24 people that want to be a part of this.
[/quote]

I think it should be that everyone gets to participate but only the top group gets to participate in serious matches.  That way we will have a group big enough that we won't have a scheduling problem with setting up matches, and everyone gets to play and have fun.  But understandably only the best people get to play when the pride of BRBU is on the line.

Also I'm a bit against setting it up as a class thing...just because whenever I'm stuck as one class I do horribly.  I have a specific skill set on each class, and if the other team has a good counter for it then I'm screwed if I can't switch.  Like I treat each class as a means of accomplishing an objective and not as a specific play-style.  For instance if there are buildings to take out or a choke point in the map I am wicked as the demo.  If we need to push I can be a good soldier or heavy or medic.  If we need to defend I can be a good heavy or medic.  If we have a decent defense but need someone to break up people organizing a good push I make an awesome pyro.  If we are playing an open map and we need someone to assist just straight killing I make a decent sniper.  And so on.  If I was restricted to one class I'd only be useful when the situation called for my skill set.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Kor
Crits = Skill

05-12-2008, 10:23 AM

(05-12-2008, 09:08 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I think it should be that everyone gets to participate but only the top group gets to participate in serious matches.  That way we will have a group big enough that we won't have a scheduling problem with setting up matches, and everyone gets to play and have fun.  But understandably only the best people get to play when the pride of BRBU is on the line.

I've stated that's the way its going to work out, which leads to the next chunk of your post...

(05-12-2008, 09:08 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Also I'm a bit against setting it up as a class thing...just because whenever I'm stuck as one class I do horribly.  I have a specific skill set on each class, and if the other team has a good counter for it then I'm screwed if I can't switch.  Like I treat each class as a means of accomplishing an objective and not as a specific play-style.  For instance if there are buildings to take out or a choke point in the map I am wicked as the demo.  If we need to push I can be a good soldier or heavy or medic.  If we need to defend I can be a good heavy or medic.  If we have a decent defense but need someone to break up people organizing a good push I make an awesome pyro.  If we are playing an open map and we need someone to assist just straight killing I make a decent sniper.  And so on.  If I was restricted to one class I'd only be useful when the situation called for my skill set.

There's a reason why its so difficult to quantify people's skills when there's variables such as this; I can see that you have solid situational awareness, but there's a flip side to it: I'd prefer that people don't play classes simply because there's a task to be completed, but that its treated as an additional task for the person most comfortable playing that class.

It's not to say that if you can't handle a 1v1 situation that you're a bad player, but its better to know(strictly from a class to class basis) if you can use the class to the fullest. There are intangibles that you simply notice through regular play, and I'm still working out how I can manage to see the class skills in additional to other factors like situational awareness, teamplay, communication, objective focus, etc.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-12-2008, 10:25 AM

(05-12-2008, 08:59 AM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Chooly link=topic=245.msg6323#msg6323 date=1210541522]
I'm just wondering...

[/quote]

I'm curious as to how you will do this, especially for a non-combat class like engineer/medic

Its easy for soldiers or demos to have them fight each other, but that really doesn't properly stand in for skill, just because you are good as a demo at killing other demos doesn't mean that you are going to be good at timing on sticky traps and such.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Negate
Born the same day as Linux... poor guy..

05-12-2008, 10:31 AM

(05-12-2008, 10:25 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: [quote author=Kor link=topic=245.msg6430#msg6430 date=1210600797]
[quote author=Chooly link=topic=245.msg6323#msg6323 date=1210541522]
I'm just wondering...

[/quote]

I'm curious as to how you will do this, especially for a non-combat class like engineer/medic

Its easy for soldiers or demos to have them fight each other, but that really doesn't properly stand in for skill, just because you are good as a demo at killing other demos doesn't mean that you are going to be good at timing on sticky traps and such.
[/quote]
I smell a scrim coming on BrBU vs bRbu.
also for clarification to Kor heavy is my least played class and I wouldn't even dream of playing it with people like caff around what I was trying to get across was I don't completely suck at any of the classes and wouldn''t complain if asked to play as them.

Your in the minority, its supposed to taste like a shit taco
Jon Stewart
[move]ii@.[/move]
Surf314

05-12-2008, 10:57 AM

To me Kor it seems like there are situations were its like rock butting up against rock, so the easiest thing is to switch to paper.  Thats how I usually play, trying to find the class that best exploits the other teams weakness, or patches a weakness in our own team.  That's why I like the flexibility of changing classes in a game like this.  But if it's just down to your most solid classes it would definately be scout, demo and medic for me.  I can make a lethal medic, because I'm good at taking out people that are threats while healing.  I've found this to be the most effective strategy if you are good with the bonesaw.

cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

05-12-2008, 02:34 PM

(05-12-2008, 10:25 AM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Its easy for soldiers or demos to have them fight each other, but that really doesn't properly stand in for skill, just because you are good as a demo at killing other demos doesn't mean that you are going to be good at timing on sticky traps and such.

The same goes for sniping. Counter-sniping is easy in certain situations, but if the other team starts pulling out 2 or more snipers to cover more ground it gets much more difficult (thus why sniping on 2fort is a bitch). In those situations it takes a full team to cooperate and to cause a class switch for the other team or to disrupt the spawn cycle so they come out one at a time.

Surf314

05-12-2008, 02:44 PM

I think the test for a demo should be if they can nade a scout in the face  ;D

I did that 3 times in a round the other day.  It was the same scout for 2 of those times, I know he was not happy.  I was  ;D ;D

cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

05-12-2008, 10:04 PM

I don't even think a head-to-head would be a reliable way to quantify the skills of different classes. Class-based gameplay is a continually shifting balance, and the team behind any given class often enhances or hinders their ability. I know for certain pitting two heavies head-to-head is only going to result in complaint, and pointlessness.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-12-2008, 11:08 PM

(05-12-2008, 10:04 PM)cannedpeaches link Wrote: I don't even think a head-to-head would be a reliable way to quantify the skills of different classes. Class-based gameplay is a continually shifting balance, and the team behind any given class often enhances or hinders their ability. I know for certain pitting two heavies head-to-head is only going to result in complaint, and pointlessness.

I think the best thing to do would be to take all the people interested, try to divide them out evenly skill wise, then let them go at it, while Kor spectates everything

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
cbre88x

05-12-2008, 11:21 PM

(05-12-2008, 11:08 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: I think the best thing to do would be to take all the people interested, try to divide them out evenly skill wise, then let them go at it, while Kor spectates everything

I was thinking relatively the same thing. Perhaps while Kor spectates he can call out for a complete class change to perhaps a person's second best and so forth after he sees everyone's first choice. Maybe a full game of dustbowl or something? All he really needs to see is how skilled the player is at a class. Dustbowl really shows everyone's potential.

Kor
Crits = Skill

05-13-2008, 08:20 AM

I've thought about a scrim, but there would have to be at least several maps used... Now you got me thinking. Yes... lists to be made now, I'm seeing it.

[Image: 22967001.jpg]

Surf314

05-13-2008, 08:23 AM

(05-13-2008, 08:20 AM)Kor link Wrote: I've thought about a scrim, but there would have to be at least several maps used... Now you got me thinking. Yes... lists to be made now, I'm seeing it.

I've been wondering what grinds Kor's gears...

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-13-2008, 12:55 PM

(05-13-2008, 08:20 AM)Kor link Wrote: I've thought about a scrim, but there would have to be at least several maps used... Now you got me thinking. Yes... lists to be made now, I'm seeing it.

Those bad boys look like they're in pretty poor shape. I don't think they'll be turning anytime soon.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
cbre88x

05-13-2008, 04:17 PM

(05-13-2008, 12:55 PM)copulatingduck link Wrote: [quote author=Kor link=topic=245.msg6561#msg6561 date=1210684811]
I've thought about a scrim, but there would have to be at least several maps used... Now you got me thinking. Yes... lists to be made now, I'm seeing it.

Those bad boys look like they're in pretty poor shape. I don't think they'll be turning anytime soon.
[/quote]

WD-40?

The GHost
N00b

05-13-2008, 05:07 PM

(05-13-2008, 04:17 PM)cbre88x link Wrote: [quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=245.msg6597#msg6597 date=1210701349]
[quote author=Kor link=topic=245.msg6561#msg6561 date=1210684811]

[/quote]

WD-40?
[/quote]

Something tells me that they need more than a little oil Wink

[Image: TheGhostDestructoidSig-1.png]
Geoff
Real World Azn

05-13-2008, 05:08 PM

(05-13-2008, 05:07 PM)The GHost link Wrote: [quote author=cbre88x link=topic=245.msg6630#msg6630 date=1210713435]
[quote author=copulatingduck link=topic=245.msg6597#msg6597 date=1210701349]
[quote author=Kor link=topic=245.msg6561#msg6561 date=1210684811]

[/quote]

WD-40?
[/quote]

Something tells me that they need more than a little oil Wink
[/quote]

Nah, you need some Rust-Away.  After some o' that, and a good scrubdown, you'll be in good standings.

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Thread Closed